The Saddle Sore 1000 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Saddle Sore 1000

Quote Originally Posted by Mazilla View Post
    Sell it on Ebay or Craigslist!
    I like the idea of selling my Shoei NeoTec on here or on my Goldwing FB pages before CL...

I have done the 1000/24 a couple of times. Havent decided if I'll do it again. First time took me 25 hours so no joy. Second time 22 hours and I have the certificates and the stuff you get for completing it. Advice I can give.Keep your pace up.I dont mean excessive speed but keep rolling.Get plenty of rest before you go. Stop and eat.Stay hydrated-not coffee-you will lose time stopping to pee.To the point of this thread DONT use gear that annoys you. Get a helmet that fits ,clothing and boots. For me it was a challenge and grueling. I met the challenge but a helmet that hurts -no way...

The old maxim when buying helmets. "You have a Shoei or Arai shaped head" is close to the mark. If you have a Shoei head a Kabuto will fit fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bgd8rd View Post
    I'm thinking of doing this adventure. Getting my bike right (F6B Goldwing). One thing though, my helmet starts to kill my head after a couple of hours. I have two helmets. I have a Shoei RF1200 Large. I wore it for a couple of years and it felt too small (Large) so one year ago I ordered the Shoei NeoTec Modular Helmet (XL). Awesome helmet in ever aspect. But after about an hour or so I'll start to get a hot spot on the top front portion of my head just above my forehead.

Obviously the bike has to be right and so does your equipment. Especially if you're going to do something like the SS-1000.

Any suggestions? Obviously, I can't keep going out and buying $400-$600 helmets just hoping one doesn't hurt my head after 2 hours of riding.

Thanks in advance!
    In my research I understood the neo tech to have excellent airflow / cooling. I don't own one yet but I'll most likely be buying one very soon. Can you adjust the top vent in a way to work for you? If that doesn't work I do have a non-helmet suggestion for you. Keep a well soaked linen towel wrapped around your neck as often as you can. All the best on your ride.

From a review

"The top vent on the Neotec is a simple slider. Push it back, through one or two clicks, and it opens.Fresh air pours through the helmet -- what can only be called a "curtain" of air flows through over the top of the head. No need for multiple switches, buttons and exotic spoilers, assemblies and plastic gimcracks. Just make the darn thing flow some air, and this one does! Maybe it takes big bucks to design a system that actually works? Doubtful. Instead, it's more likely that a smart designer who actually rides a motorcycle can figure this out. Apparently Shoei has one, because the Neotec has what has to be the best ventilation in a flip-up helmet you'll find (let's hope we find one that's better!) and it beats, oh, maybe 98% of the full-face designs also."

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    In my research I understood the neo tech to have excellent airflow / cooling. I don't own one yet but I'll most likely be buying one very soon. Can you adjust the top vent in a way to work for you? If that doesn't work I do have a non-helmet suggestion for you. Keep a well soaked linen towel wrapped around your neck as often as you can. All the best on your ride.

From a review

"The top vent on the Neotec is a simple slider. Push it back, through one or two clicks, and it opens.Fresh air pours through the helmet -- what can only be called a "curtain" of air flows through over the top of the head. No need for multiple switches, buttons and exotic spoilers, assemblies and plastic gimcracks. Just make the darn thing flow some air, and this one does! Maybe it takes big bucks to design a system that actually works? Doubtful. Instead, it's more likely that a smart designer who actually rides a motorcycle can figure this out. Apparently Shoei has one, because the Neotec has what has to be the best ventilation in a flip-up helmet you'll find (let's hope we find one that's better!) and it beats, oh, maybe 98% of the full-face designs also."
    I might be wrong, but I think when the OP said he had a "hot spot", he meant a spot that became sore after awhile. Just guessin'.

I'm a retired Army pilot and we used a Nomex skullcap. I use a commercial one of these now ALL the time I use my helmet. Does a great job eliminating hot spot and absorbs sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by bgd8rd View Post
    Were you getting the same hot spot as me? Just above the forehead? After a couple of hours I'm like damn, I've got to get this thing off for a while. I'll sometimes reach back with my hand and push the back of my helmet forward and hold it to relieve the pressure for a while. But I can't go down the road like that for hours on end....
    Exactly the same spot. Wearing a helmet like that for a 2 week ride certainly made the ride less enjoyable. Some mornings it was tough to even put the thing on. I tried pounding the styrofoam in but it didn't help much. The Signet Q (or X for my next one) is the only helmet for me.

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    I might be wrong, but I think when the OP said he had a "hot spot", he meant a spot that became sore after awhile. Just guessin'.
    Oh sh*t brain fa*t. Thanks....of course. Too much sun and vino.

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    I'm a retired Army pilot and we used a Nomex skullcap. I use a commercial one of these now ALL the time I use my helmet. Does a great job eliminating hot spot and absorbs sweat.
    Was going to make a similar suggestion. Perhaps try a skullcap (or do-rag) that has flat lock stitching to minimize effect of the joints in the fabric seams. I wear one of these Cortech liners and it works great. If you have a cloth do-rag with prominent seams stitched together it can create a seriously painful hot spot.

http://www.cortech.net/inc/sdetail/j...dliner/166/558

Maybe a question of definition. My interpretation of 'hot spot' was the place that your helmet and skull maintain an interference clearance. Meaning the helmet is too small. It starts as a hot feeling at the point of contact and grows to an intolerable pain.