windshield, aesthetics vs function - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: windshield, aesthetics vs function

Clearview Short Sport Touring Eval

I ordered and installed the clearview short "sport touring" (widest but shortest) Clearview model with the Honda vent installed and test drove it this weekend on a ~250 mile ride through the southern AZ twisties-- I am 5" 10" with a 31 in inseam, and ride with a full face helmet- here are my notes-

1) about half of my helmet was in turbulence/buffet, from ~50 mph and up, crouching down about 3 inches and slightly forward put me back in the "bubble"- this did not seem to vary much with speed in the 50-80 Mph range.
    2) had a hard time getting any airflow though my helmet, despite the full open vent ( I have a Shoei GT Air lid) it was a perfect 80 degree day, ended up wanting the faceshield up for ventilation most of the time
    3) good job on "neck down" shielding from the wind and buffet.. but again, little flow from the vent through my mesh jacket.

Considering the "tall" version of the clearview (which is only 2" taller as measured from the dashboard...), or perhaps punting and going with a windbender... (I like the asthetics of the windbender over the Mastad, although this forum seems to have mostly Mastad fans...

Any comments out there on Mastad vs Windbender???

Thanks

Boltar
    Now Riding the Vader/Batmobile Thundersled O' Destiny....

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I'm not sure if anyone has had direct experience with Madstad vs. Windbender ,,, on the same bike,,,

Folks who have one or the other certainly like 'em, so, go with the one ya like!

Ima cheap baztad and love the ability to adjust rake. Add a rake kit to the 'bender, eh, it kinda looks like someone got carried away with an erector set.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltar View Post
    I ordered and installed the clearview short "sport touring" (widest but shortest) Clearview model with the Honda vent installed and test drove it this weekend on a ~250 mile ride through the southern AZ twisties-- I am 5" 10" with a 31 in inseam, and ride with a full face helmet- here are my notes-

1) about half of my helmet was in turbulence/buffet, from ~50 mph and up, crouching down about 3 inches and slightly forward put me back in the "bubble"- this did not seem to vary much with speed in the 50-80 Mph range.
    2) had a hard time getting any airflow though my helmet, despite the full open vent ( I have a Shoei GT Air lid) it was a perfect 80 degree day, ended up wanting the faceshield up for ventilation most of the time
    3) good job on "neck down" shielding from the wind and buffet.. but again, little flow from the vent through my mesh jacket.
    Boltar
    From your report why don't you just run the stock shield? I am also 5'10" and wear a full face. With the stock shield the wind hits me at about neck height, no buffet (movement) just wind noise negated by ear plugs or ear buds. Nice breeze through my helmet vents and some to my jacket. The madstad reports have been very positive but lean towards "still air" and "wind protection" so I'm not sure that will help your ventilation issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    From your report why don't you just run the stock shield? I am also 5'10" and wear a full face. With the stock shield the wind hits me at about neck height, no buffet (movement) just wind noise negated by ear plugs or ear buds. Nice breeze through my helmet vents and some to my jacket. The madstad reports have been very positive but lean towards "still air" and "wind protection" so I'm not sure that will help your ventilation issue.
    I think I have the perfect, for me, solution to the wind protection/ventilation issue. I run the Madstad which is great on protection and, I feel, still allows adequate ventilation. I also have the Baker Hand Wings. In one position, I have even more protection. In another, I can direct a real blast of air right at me. I like the LD Comfort long sleeved underwear shirt for hot weather riding. It acts like a swamp cooler when air is directed up my jacket sleeves and the jacket is vented only at the throat. I've actually gotten a chill when riding in over 100 degree weather. I had poured a bit of water on the shirt for that effect. The Hand Wings do a good job of directing the air to the sleeves.

De great blast shield debate....

Great inputs folks, perhaps I will cruise around this weekend with a stock shield, GT Air lid, and ear plugs... then decide to Windbend ner not... coming from a VFR1200F, perhaps a buffet-free breeze in the face is what I am after...

thanks for the inputs, more to come...

Boltar
    Now Riding the Vader/Batmobile Thundersled O' Destiny....

Hi,

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I'm a new F6B owner and stand at 5'8" and purchased the Klock Werks 14" Smoked Flare Windshield about 6 weeks ago and thought I was couldn't ask for more with its performance after running it for 500mi straight. That was until I jumped back on my '07 H-D Softail this week without a windshield. I realized the wind was hitting my face steadily & smoothly on the H-D, whereas while riding the F6B with the KW windshield wearing my 1/2 helmet I had terrible buffeting right at ear level (with ear plugs) which also was hitting my head from behind and actually forcing my strapped glasses away from my face at 60-65mph causing my eyes to irritate afterwards, and forget about wearing my 3/4 helmet (with ear plugs as well) which was like having my head in a paint mixer…literally!!!

I've decided to ditch the KW and try the MadStad 11" Extra Dark Smoked Windshield , which I ordered last night after reading the positive impressions about it on this thread. Has anyone had experience with owning both the KW 11" & MadStad 11" that could possibly share their experiences between both?

Thank you,
    Joe

Joe,

I believe that you will find a significant difference between the Madstaad and the KW.

When you install the Madstaad base plate to the motorcycle, I suggest that you put Loctite on the three mounting fasteners. You will not want to access them again later if it can be avoided. There are several good videos available that describe the Gold Wing windshield replacement; the F6B process is similar.

The Madstaad might require some trial and error to get the best adjustment for you. When you get to speed, with your left hand, find the airflow coming off the left side of the windshield. I believe you'll find that it's blowing to the outside of your shoulder. If the airflow coming over the middle of the Madstaad is hitting you below the top of your helmet, you should be able to easily adjust the 11" shield to push that airflow over your head.

With the Madstaad, it seems to me that the airflow is more affected by the angle adjustment than the height adjustment. You'll quickly get it figured out. Good luck!

allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Framen View Post
    Joe,

I believe that you will find a significant difference between the Madstaad and the KW.

When you install the Madstaad base plate to the motorcycle, I suggest that you put Loctite on the three mounting fasteners. You will not want to access them again later if it can be avoided. There are several good videos available that describe the Gold Wing windshield replacement; the F6B process is similar.

The Madstaad might require some trial and error to get the best adjustment for you. When you get to speed, with your left hand, find the airflow coming off the left side of the windshield. I believe you'll find that it's blowing to the outside of your shoulder. If the airflow coming over the middle of the Madstaad is hitting you below the top of your helmet, you should be able to easily adjust the 11" shield to push that airflow over your head.

With the Madstaad, it seems to me that the airflow is more affected by the angle adjustment than the height adjustment. You'll quickly get it figured out. Good luck!

allen
    Allen,

Thank you very much for information, and the tips as well, I appreciate it. I always use a small amount medium strength Loctite for peace of mind. I do hope, and believe their is going to be a significant difference between the 2 after reading the entire "Madstad for F6B" thread as well. Thanks very much for your reply as well as the good luck! I'll post my impressions after getting the correct adjustments…can't wait! BTW, it sounds like you've had experience with the KW before, is this correct? If so, can I assume you felt the same as I do about it?

Thanks again,
    Joe

Well, I've spent the last 2hrs riding/adjusting the 11" MadStad, and at this point, I'm not too satisfied with its performance being I'm still getting buffeting at the top/back and sides of my helmet at ear level. I'm going to go out again later and hope to have better results. I'm not about to throw in the towel just yet after reading all of the positive posts.

Quote Originally Posted by doubleh View Post
    Well, I've spent the last 2hrs riding/adjusting the 11" MadStad, and at this point, I'm not too satisfied with its performance being I'm still getting buffeting at the top/back and sides of my helmet at ear level. I'm going to go out again later and hope to have better results. I'm not about to throw in the towel just yet after reading all of the positive posts.
    Get a 13"

I have one and it works pretty good.

I'm going to get a 15" for the colder months.

I'm 5'10" and I have an Ultimate King seat... if you are interested in my metrics behind the Madstadt

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537