The Saddle Sore 1000
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Saddle Sore 1000

The Saddle Sore 1000

I'm thinking of doing this adventure. Getting my bike right (F6B Goldwing). One thing though, my helmet starts to kill my head after a couple of hours. I have two helmets. I have a Shoei RF1200 Large. I wore it for a couple of years and it felt too small (Large) so one year ago I ordered the Shoei NeoTec Modular Helmet (XL). Awesome helmet in ever aspect. But after about an hour or so I'll start to get a hot spot on the top front portion of my head just above my forehead.

Obviously the bike has to be right and so does your equipment. Especially if you're going to do something like the SS-1000.

Any suggestions? Obviously, I can't keep going out and buying $400-$600 helmets just hoping one doesn't hurt my head after 2 hours of riding.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by bgd8rd View Post
    I'm thinking of doing this adventure. Getting my bike right (F6B Goldwing). One thing though, my helmet starts to kill my head after a couple of hours. I have two helmets. I have a Shoei RF1200 Large. I wore it for a couple of years and it felt too small (Large) so one year ago I ordered the Shoei NeoTec Modular Helmet (XL). Awesome helmet in ever aspect. But after about an hour or so I'll start to get a hot spot on the top front portion of my head just above my forehead.

Obviously the bike has to be right and so does your equipment. Especially if you're going to do something like the SS-1000.

Any suggestions? Obviously, I can't keep going out and buying $400-$600 helmets just hoping one doesn't hurt my head after 2 hours of riding.

Thanks in advance!
    In all seriousness, I question the shape of my head, and I look halfway normal I'm pretty sure! I have a Shoei RF1200 that causes a harmonic hum at 50-60 mph only. No one else seems to have this problem. It may be that you have to keep trying different ones until one feels right. Cycle Gear has many on display last time I was there...maybe worth a trip.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

You need to try on some other brands and figure out what shape your head is. The Lidpicker may help as it shows a list of many helmets with bar graphs showing which shape they are. I have figured out my head is in the middle of a round vs oval, leaning more towards narrow (oval). Nothing worse than a constant pressure point on your head. I bought a Shark RSR2 years back that I loved the looks of, but after 30 minutes or so, I had a red forehead.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

Quote Originally Posted by bgd8rd View Post

Thanks in advance!
    Some of the interior pads of your NeoTec are replaceable with different thickness ones. I had to get thinner cheek pads so I didn't get squeezed to look like a chipmunk. Other than that it fit great and is really comfortable. Not sure if all of the pads are replaceable but it's worth a look into the owners manual.

Cool

Cycle gear !!!! They let you wear a helmet for a week, if you don't like it bring it back and get another!!! I would honestly look at you pumpkin ...we all have a different shaped heads and there are helmets made to fit yours, then it is just a matter of size. When you find "your" helmet, don't ever change brands again !

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Take both and change them out every once in a while, you will be riding all day and the change will be welcome. I do not recommend this to others as it might could reduce the protection of the lid but. I also have an odd shaped head I have gone inside the helmet and shaved off just a bit of styrofoam where it is pressing against my head too much. Wearing an altered helmet is better than a half or even none at all which I do sometimes. Good luck on the iron butt, did it a couple of years ago, left early in the morn and back that night. Plan your route with the least amount of turns and make a plan for your gas stops. Those receipts are needed for turns. Also remember to hydrate, the wind sucks the water out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    In all seriousness, I question the shape of my head, and I look halfway normal I'm pretty sure! I have a Shoei RF1200 that causes a harmonic hum at 50-60 mph only. No one else seems to have this problem. It may be that you have to keep trying different ones until one feels right. Cycle Gear has many on display last time I was there...maybe worth a trip.
    I also get a really bad harmonic hum with the face shield down on my Shoei 3/4 Helmet..I also have an open face HJC ,which cost $250 less and it works fine with just a little more road noise...I have recently heard of many good reports on the Kabuto helmets...Ride safe

On the Lid Picker scale http://www.lidpicker.com/free-data/ both those helmets show rounder to very round shape. You may have more of an oval head, hence the problem. If I were you for $20 Lid Picker will give you a measuring kit, report and as a bonus free under helmet sunglasses so you can get a more definite head shape profile and matching helmet types.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Take both and change them out every once in a while, you will be riding all day and the change will be welcome. I do not recommend this to others as it might could reduce the protection of the lid but. I also have an odd shaped head I have gone inside the helmet and shaved off just a bit of styrofoam where it is pressing against my head too much. Wearing an altered helmet is better than a half or even none at all which I do sometimes. Good luck on the iron butt, did it a couple of years ago, left early in the morn and back that night. Plan your route with the least amount of turns and make a plan for your gas stops. Those receipts are needed for turns. Also remember to hydrate, the wind sucks the water out of you.
    I agree...take 2 helmets. I always do on my long rides, but one of them is a half helmet. It is refreshing to feel a little wind around your ears and neck...especially when you're riding in the heat of the day. Other suggestions...Bring a friend and have a Sena or equivalent. Good conversation can eat up the miles. Music is a must. Limit your gas stops to 10 min, especially during the first half of the challenge. Take a nice 30-40 minute lunch and evaluate your progress to see if you can extend the time of your gas stops a little bit for the 2nd half. Ride hard and fast, afterall you are on a F6B! Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey, thanks for the tips. I like the LidPicker site. But I have a question. What the heck do I do with my $600 Shoei NeoTec helmet that is only 1 year old?