Africa Twin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Africa Twin

Africa Twin

Anyone got one? I'm getting new M/C fever... been a little enthralled by this model. Two offerings; regular clutch and the DCT... amazing how the DCT works.

Been checking them out at one of the local Stealerships lately

Not trading in my F6B of course and I am keeping my DR650... but I think the African Twin is pretty cool

Good job Honda

https://powersports.honda.com/africa...0%2Btwin_pmt_b

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

The AT is WAY too tall for me, but I do like the NC700X with the DCT. I rode one when they 1st came out and I was impressed. My VW GTI has that same tranny only VW calls it DSG for Direct Shift Gearbox.

I was hoping to see a new F6B with that tranny, I would have traded in a hearbeat. Keep us posted if ya get it.

Short legs... my inseam is 30 inches... even mounting my DR650 could be a challenge in the normal "mounting" sense.

But... there is a way to easily mount a tall bike. You just do it from the right side... not the left... keeps the strain off of the kickstand as well. You do have to make sure that you grab the front brake though and as your mounting; keep your torso close to centerline of the bike... the bike is going to swing off the stand as you're standing on the right peg and throwing your left leg over...

Once you perfect it... it's a flawless movement

I have no problem footing the Africa Twin with the balls of my feet.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

DCT

So, I've given my thoughts before on this forum about the Honda DCT transmission. After owning a 1200f DCT for six years, ( one of the bikes I sold to get my "B" ) I can tell you it's pretty freaking cool. This was the first iteration of the DCT. I love technology, so the combination of the incredible engine in that bike, the advanced design of the bike as a whole and the automatic shift transmission made this bike an intoxicating experience to ride.
    Very low speed maneuvers are a little different with the DCT. No clutch, so you use delicate throttle input and rear brake for tight low speed stuff. You don't have the infinate control using clutch, brake, throttle. After you are underway though ( 5mph + ) the transmission works flawlessly. 90% of the time I'd ride in "D" mode unless I was totally thrashing it or wanted much quicker downshifts , then I'd just flip it to "S". Hardly ever manually shifted. The transmission shifts so smoothly, quickly and accurately.... It really is quite an experience riding a DCT transmissioned bike in a high horsepower application.
    Probably some traditionalists that would say they can out shift any automatic transmissioned bike, off the line I could just mash it and totally leave anything and everything. Engine had a lot to do with that, but the transmission is never without power to it between shifts. When it's GO TIME just twist to the throttle stop and bye bye..!
    There are some good utube videos showing how stable the rear suspension is with zero jacking under full throttle. The availability of a DCT for the next generation Goldwing is a complete no brainier..!

Almost all metric bikes I have bought in the past, were done without a test ride. I'd like to test ride the Africa Twin DCT before i pulled the trigger on it.

I sat on the DCT yesterday at PowerSports of Crofton. Not sure how long it would take to break the clutch hand muscle memory with it...

..and especially if I rotated back and forth between my other normalized clutched bikes.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

You sure you want that Will? I watched the video...there's no seat lol
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Anyone got one? I'm getting new M/C fever... been a little enthralled by this model. Two offerings; regular clutch and the DCT... amazing how the DCT works.

Been checking them out at one of the local Stealerships lately

Not trading in my F6B of course and I am keeping my DR650... but I think the African Twin is pretty cool

Good job Honda

https://powersports.honda.com/africa...0%2Btwin_pmt_b
    I've been eyeballing this bike as well as the Yamaha Super T to add to my garage. The two things thing that keep cropping up in the negative column of the AT are the chain drive and the seat. I'm done with chain drives but, never say never. I'll be watching for your progress and your thoughts if you pull the trigger.

Chain drives can be a pain to maintain, especially if you drive in the wet frequently. I've been using DuPont teflon lubricant on my DR's chain... cheap stuff and doesn't attract dirt like chain waxes

I've looked at the Scott oiler but If I was so inclined, I would rather use the Tuturo oiler system, less complicated and would be the ideal solution for me if I ran in the wet.

https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Chain drives can be a pain to maintain, especially if you drive in the wet frequently.
    Just get an R1200GS Adventure and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    Just get an R1200GS Adventure and be done with it.
    No thanks. A BMR is just like a Harley to me. Absolutely no interest in them. Not only that, BMR maintenance costs are atrociously high.

I want a bike that requires minimal maintenance; and I can easily work on myself.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537