BMW K1600B
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW K1600B

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BMW K1600B

The Beemer Bagger or BeemBag if you prefer, is popping up a lot on line these days. However it's driving me crazy how the "reviewers" and I use this term loosely, keep saying it's "competing in the tradition of Harley", has the "lines of a Harley"..etc.... I guess it could technically be, as could the Honda F6B, but I haven't seen a single review where anyone compares it to it's most obvious competition, which is our beloved B!

I mean for crying out loud BMW even took the fast black and the moniker "B" from Honda so I want to see a side by side comfort, power and handling comparison.

I need enlightenment. If someone has a link to such a comparison review I would appreciate them posting it here.

Exactly, I've been waiting for that exact review, don't think it'll happen now, the F6B is 4 years old, nothing new to warrant a review with a 2017 model.
    The K1600B is too much of a compromise compared to the Concept 101, which is what the K1600B should have been.
    The bags are rather small. You can't beat the price compared to the F6B Deluxe.

But it beats out the F6B in current technology...
    • Safety package: Adaptive headlight, tire pressure monitor (TPM), and Hill Start Control
    • Comfort package: Gear Shift Assist Pro, central locking system
    • Anti-theft alarm
    • Keyless Ride
    • LED auxiliary lights
    • Touring Package: Reverse assist, GPS preparation, and audio system with radio, Sirius XM, and Bluetooth
    • Three riding modes (Rain, Road, and Dynamic), Dynamic Traction Control, cornering-optimized integral ABS Pro
    • Heated seats and hand grips
    • Power adjustable windshield
    • Cruise control,
    • Multifunction display with on-board computer,
    • Dynamic Electronic Suspension Adjustment (D-ESA) with “Road” and “Cruise” damping modes.
    and a slew of expensive options

Ultimate Motorcycling Magazines does mention that "The bike—a direct aim at the Honda Gold Wing F6B—was designed to appeal to the American bagger market, and is designed to be low and sleek."
    https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...announced-usa/

If it looked just a bit more like the original Concept 101, I'd buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    Exactly, I've been waiting for that exact review, don't think it'll happen now, the F6B is 4 years old, nothing new to warrant a review with a 2017 model.
    The K1600B is too much of a compromise compared to the Concept 101, which is what the K1600B should have been.
    The bags are rather small. You can't beat the price compared to the F6B Deluxe.

But it beats out the F6B in current technology...
    • Safety package: Adaptive headlight, tire pressure monitor (TPM), and Hill Start Control
    • Comfort package: Gear Shift Assist Pro, central locking system
    • Anti-theft alarm
    • Keyless Ride
    • LED auxiliary lights
    • Touring Package: Reverse assist, GPS preparation, and audio system with radio, Sirius XM, and Bluetooth
    • Three riding modes (Rain, Road, and Dynamic), Dynamic Traction Control, cornering-optimized integral ABS Pro
    • Heated seats and hand grips
    • Power adjustable windshield
    • Cruise control,
    • Multifunction display with on-board computer,
    • Dynamic Electronic Suspension Adjustment (D-ESA) with “Road” and “Cruise” damping modes.
    and a slew of expensive options

Ultimate Motorcycling Magazines does mention that "The bike—a direct aim at the Honda Gold Wing F6B—was designed to appeal to the American bagger market, and is designed to be low and sleek."
    https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...announced-usa/

If it looked just a bit more like the original Concept 101, I'd buy one.
    Once I see this bike I will then decide what I am going to do...If it fits me right and the seat is low enough, etc. etc., I might just "pull the trigger" as this will most likely be my last bike as 78 is around the corner for me...Anxious to also see the 2018 Indian Chieftain and "hopefully" a 2018 F6B!!!...Ride safe

To me (I haven't seen it in person), from the rear, it looks like an adventure bike, very high. From the front, it looks more "sport tour" than bagger. That motor though, has me drooling. Bags look even smaller the the 6's, electronics seem awesome, but isn't that one of the known historic problems with Beemers? (could be wrong on that.....) I wish they made a V-Max bagger.....
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa

Quote Originally Posted by broncsrule21 View Post
    I wish they made a V-Max bagger.....
    Yeah, Yamaha choked on the new "Transcontinental Tourer," The power plant should have been from the V-Max, not a V-Twin.

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    Yeah, Yamaha choked on the new "Transcontinental Tourer," The power plant should have been from the V-Max, not a V-Twin.
    Hey there, I am not so sure about the Yamaha decision...Big V-Twins have dominated touring bikes for years and Yamaha makes one of the best out there...GW's are great touring bikes, as are big "beemers", but Indian also makes really nice big V-Twin tourers...HD has been a top seller for years... Hope for a much improved new generation of Goldwings in the future and only time will tell....Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Once I see this bike I will then decide what I am going to do...If it fits me right and the seat is low enough, etc. etc., I might just "pull the trigger" as this will most likely be my last bike as 78 is around the corner for me...Anxious to also see the 2018 Indian Chieftain and "hopefully" a 2018 F6B!!!...Ride safe
    And still riding! I drink a toast to you sir!

Purely from ascetics (which are important but not #1), someone else will have to ride that one.

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    And still riding! I drink a toast to you sir!
    Opas Ride says he's 78, but looks 58, and drives like he's 28.

I'm looking forward to riding the Beemer at some point, but in no hurry considering how much I like the B. However, that said, a couple of notes: The bags looked a little smaller to me, too, but I heard on one of the video reviews that they could each fit a full face helmet, so maybe they're actually bigger? Central locking would be nice on ours, and the K has it, but even without, I think the integration of ours looks better.

Besides Central locking, though, there are plenty of features that make this seem like a fun ride. Multiple on the fly suspension modes, electronic windshield (a little silly this one in particular isn't already on the Goldwing platform), and that engine. 160 ponies. Yeehaw. Not to mention the inline 6 allows for easy toes-forward foot positions, and those forward position floorboards look pretty trick to me, and quite comfortable. Being able to plant your feet forward and clutchlessly shift on a bagger seems like a VERY nice combo.

Like I said, I'm looking forward to riding it at some point. But honestly, I'm looking even more forward to Honda's answer to it. What great time to be alive.

Jason