I also discontinued BMW ownership after my K1200LT. I have to say that it was very reliable and never let me down. 2 things broke during my 80,000+ miles with it:

- trunk lock latch. All of them would break at some point. It was over engineered, too many small weak parts, and made out of pot metal. If broke under warranty BMW would replace the whole trunk! BMW did not sell just the latch itself. If outside the warranty you were on your own. Finally a gentleman from K1200LT forum made replacement latches out of aircraft grade aluminum, guaranteed for life. I installed his and never a problem again.
- shift linkage broke. Apparently some were not lubed properly at the assembly line. The dealer replaced it for free (to me), lubed it properly and I never had a problem again.

That was it. Never an engine, transmission or frame problem. I also would recommend my dealer, Touring Sports in Greenville SC. They also sold Ducati, Aprilia, Vespa and maybe more. They were very professional. Because they are about 120 miles from my house I always made a service appointment. They would take the bike in and start working on it right away. I simply waited there until finished.

I have a Honda dealer in town and this is pretty much the reason I decided on Honda. It just seemed like a safe choice. So far F6B has been very reliable and enjoyable bike. Sometimes, though, to me it feels so refined that is bland and lacks a bit more character. I have to admit that I really enjoy riding my Ultra Classic, which by comparison feels like it has a pulse and makes me feel 'bad'. That's why I always have at least 2 bikes at a time, a sportier tourer and a cruiser, as I really enjoy feeling different while riding each bike. Kind of like owning a sports convertible and a pickup truck. I like both.

Seems to me that BMW bikes suffer mostly from electrical problems, which is a direct result of putting so much technology in them. Maybe over time they'll get it right. I like the tech in bikes. Next gen Honda GW, if they continue, should be tech ladden as well. Just look at new Yamaha Venture (which I will try as well).

It's good to have many choices.