BMW K1600B
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW K1600B

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I tried to find an actual dyno for the 1600 series and didn't come up with one.
    I haven't seen an actual Dyno yet, either, Jimmytee. But I do know a couple of guys who have run their F6C and F6b against a K1600GTL, same engine. Both were glad they didn't do it for pink slips.

Test ride

First test ride I found: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...k1600-b-review

I sat on one at this year's Daytona Bikeweek. It was on centerstand at BMW of Daytona. Also, the BMW rep was there to answer questions.

It felt comfortable (I'm 6'), reach to handlebars was good for me. Forward floorboards were great, great legroom. Bike made great sound (it was started for us and I was able to rev the throttle). It just felt very well put together. I like the power windshield (really miss that on F6B).

Saddlebags are not removable (at least not meant to be) and smaller than on F6B. I asked the rep about the trunk and he said that the accessory trunk will be available and it is being specifically designed for this bike.

Overall an impressive design, especially for solo rider (which is me). I used to have 2000 BMW K1200LT and loved it, it gave me over 80,000 trouble free and fun miles. I am not a GW guy (I sold my 2007 GW for 2013 F6B). I like my F6B (have over 34,000 miles on it so far, not bad considering I have other bikes and work full time) but it is starting to feel outdated to me. I am very curious if new GW and hopefully F6B comes around soon. I will take a chance and test ride this new BMW when opportunity presents itself.

However, even if I like it (or new GW for that matter) I don't want to buy it new. I have owned close to 20 bikes in my life so far, all I got used except for F6B. I usually did very good financially buying and selling them, but it looks like I will loose the most on F6B (bought new for 17,250 but it looks like the true value of it currently is around 10,000). For example, 2000 BMW K1200LT Custom was listed around 22,000 new, I got it for 12,000 a year old with 3,000 miles on it. After 8-9 years and over 80,000 miles I sold it for 7,000. Another time I bought 2012 Victory Cross Country (a great bike) about a year old for 10,500 and sold it 3 months ago for 9,000 (only because Victory closed as a brand). So, I will use my current F6B for at least 2-3 more years to amortize the cost and enjoy riding it, even though a new GW may become available. But that's just me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden

Hey BMW copied my bag netting at the bottom of the opening. It looks darn near identical to mine!

It works great. Keeps small things from falling into the hinges. And is easily stretchable for putting in large items.

Here's my pic: Oops, still no worky ...
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    First test ride I found: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...k1600-b-review

I sat on one at this year's Daytona Bikeweek. It was on centerstand at BMW of Daytona. Also, the BMW rep was there to answer questions.

The bike looks terrific and no doubt performs according to the specs. My biggest issue is getting in bed with the dealers. Every one I've been to is arrogant not to mention expensive, and they rule the warranty with an iron fist. I was at the one in Cleveland and the shop was so full of bike repairs sitting around, you could barely walk through it. Looking further at the BMW forums, these machines are not without their problems and issues. I'm sticking with the F6B and will happily wait for the next generation from Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewdog View Post
    The bike looks terrific and no doubt performs according to the specs. My biggest issue is getting in bed with the dealers. Every one I've been to is arrogant not to mention expensive, and they rule the warranty with an iron fist. I was at the one in Cleveland and the shop was so full of bike repairs sitting around, you could barely walk through it. Looking further at the BMW forums, these machines are not without their problems and issues. I'm sticking with the F6B and will happily wait for the next generation from Honda.
    Coming off a BMW, I can attest to deal warranty issues as I had a gremlin in my computer that was a 9 month + ordeal that dealer A could never get right and dealer B fixed the bike after 3 DEAD ON ROAD recalls.
    The first bill was 1500.00 and a call to BMW. They competed the part as the bike was out of warranty and the problem was noted before warranty expired but I was on my own for the labor.
    The Dealer in my opinion was more than fair and I would not hesitate to purchase from THIS Dealer.
    With that said I now have my F6B, and do not even worry about vehicle engineered flaws that BMW is known for and they have a few....

The K1600 has a loyal following and I am sure the 1600B is a fine machine, but that price tag is way to high for a first year flaw finder in my opinion.
    K13 was a 11 plus year run starting in 2004 with the 1200 and still had clutch issues in 2015. German engineering is sometimes more complicated than it needs to be.
    2015 Matt Grey F6B Deluxe - Gloria
    2011 BMW K 1300S - Stella
    2000 Triumph Sprint ST - Trixie
    2000 Ducati Monster 900 - Monster
    1985 HD FXRS (Still in the Shop as a reminder) - Frita
    1984 HD XLX - The First

Quote Originally Posted by LA Weld View Post
    Coming off a BMW, I can attest to deal warranty issues as I had a gremlin in my computer that was a 9 month + ordeal that dealer A could never get right and dealer B fixed the bike after 3 DEAD ON ROAD recalls.
    The first bill was 1500.00 and a call to BMW. They competed the part as the bike was out of warranty and the problem was noted before warranty expired but I was on my own for the labor.
    The Dealer in my opinion was more than fair and I would not hesitate to purchase from THIS Dealer.
    With that said I now have my F6B, and do not even worry about vehicle engineered flaws that BMW is known for and they have a few....

The K1600 has a loyal following and I am sure the 1600B is a fine machine, but that price tag is way to high for a first year flaw finder in my opinion.
    K13 was a 11 plus year run starting in 2004 with the 1200 and still had clutch issues in 2015. German engineering is sometimes more complicated than it needs to be.
    The reliability factor was another reason I went with the B in 2014. The BMW K1600GT and GTL were on my list of potentials. I was never quite enthused about the front end appearance, but reading through some of the trouble issues with the electronics was definitely something that went into the consideration. Hopefully by now ,they have those gremlins resolved.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    The reliability factor was another reason I went with the B in 2014. The BMW K1600GT and GTL were on my list of potentials. I was never quite enthused about the front end appearance, but reading through some of the trouble issues with the electronics was definitely something that went into the consideration. Hopefully by now ,they have those gremlins resolved.
    Not from what I have heard
    The GS1200 is hands down the bike to have for touring SO I HAVE BEEN TOLD, that is not my style of ride for me. many a K13 ride went to the GS, I went the other way.
    I am getting ready to do a week on the F6 and I will see if I miss my sport touring rocket. I just could not see myself on a GS
    2015 Matt Grey F6B Deluxe - Gloria
    2011 BMW K 1300S - Stella
    2000 Triumph Sprint ST - Trixie
    2000 Ducati Monster 900 - Monster
    1985 HD FXRS (Still in the Shop as a reminder) - Frita
    1984 HD XLX - The First

I also discontinued BMW ownership after my K1200LT. I have to say that it was very reliable and never let me down. 2 things broke during my 80,000+ miles with it:

- trunk lock latch. All of them would break at some point. It was over engineered, too many small weak parts, and made out of pot metal. If broke under warranty BMW would replace the whole trunk! BMW did not sell just the latch itself. If outside the warranty you were on your own. Finally a gentleman from K1200LT forum made replacement latches out of aircraft grade aluminum, guaranteed for life. I installed his and never a problem again.
    - shift linkage broke. Apparently some were not lubed properly at the assembly line. The dealer replaced it for free (to me), lubed it properly and I never had a problem again.

That was it. Never an engine, transmission or frame problem. I also would recommend my dealer, Touring Sports in Greenville SC. They also sold Ducati, Aprilia, Vespa and maybe more. They were very professional. Because they are about 120 miles from my house I always made a service appointment. They would take the bike in and start working on it right away. I simply waited there until finished.

I have a Honda dealer in town and this is pretty much the reason I decided on Honda. It just seemed like a safe choice. So far F6B has been very reliable and enjoyable bike. Sometimes, though, to me it feels so refined that is bland and lacks a bit more character. I have to admit that I really enjoy riding my Ultra Classic, which by comparison feels like it has a pulse and makes me feel 'bad'. That's why I always have at least 2 bikes at a time, a sportier tourer and a cruiser, as I really enjoy feeling different while riding each bike. Kind of like owning a sports convertible and a pickup truck. I like both.

Seems to me that BMW bikes suffer mostly from electrical problems, which is a direct result of putting so much technology in them. Maybe over time they'll get it right. I like the tech in bikes. Next gen Honda GW, if they continue, should be tech ladden as well. Just look at new Yamaha Venture (which I will try as well).

It's good to have many choices.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden

Quote Originally Posted by LA Weld View Post

Thanks for the great comments! You confirmed my suspicions. The K1600 is a great bike but I'm sticking with the "B." Its rock solid engineering. I saw a guy riding a HD Roadglide over the weekend in New York off I-90 at a rest stop. He loved my F6B and said it best, with Harley you pay for the name, with Honda you pay for the engineering. He's ready to unload the road glide and move on.