BMW K1600B - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BMW K1600B

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    First test ride I found: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...k1600-b-review

I sat on one at this year's Daytona Bikeweek. It was on centerstand at BMW of Daytona. Also, the BMW rep was there to answer questions.

The bike looks terrific and no doubt performs according to the specs. My biggest issue is getting in bed with the dealers. Every one I've been to is arrogant not to mention expensive, and they rule the warranty with an iron fist. I was at the one in Cleveland and the shop was so full of bike repairs sitting around, you could barely walk through it. Looking further at the BMW forums, these machines are not without their problems and issues. I'm sticking with the F6B and will happily wait for the next generation from Honda.

The BMW is promising, but one thing I've noticed about this bike and the other 1600 is the problem there would be in upgrading the stereo. If you are one who just listens through headsets, it's a non issue. Even in this review, the stereo was said to be drowned out at 50 mph...lol Now I know my stereo is far from stock, but I just came back yesterday from a 5 state weekend excursion, and my system is rocking. Even at 80 plus mph, I can hear clearly my system with every kick and bass beat. I'm sure this is secondary or a non issue for some, but I know from all the messages back and forth I've entertained, that many have sought out improving the audio on these F6Bs. Looking at that bike it seems hard to imagine being able to do much with it. Just one negative I see with it.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    The BMW is promising, but one thing I've noticed about this bike and the other 1600 is the problem there would be in upgrading the stereo. If you are one who just listens through headsets, it's a non issue. Even in this review, the stereo was said to be drowned out at 50 mph...lol Now I know my stereo is far from stock, but I just came back yesterday from a 5 state weekend excursion, and my system is rocking. Even at 80 plus mph, I can hear clearly my system with every kick and bass beat. I'm sure this is secondary or a non issue for some, but I know from all the messages back and forth I've entertained, that many have sought out improving the audio on these F6Bs. Looking at that bike it seems hard to imagine being able to do much with it. Just one negative I see with it.
    LOUD MOTORCYCLE STEREOS SAVE LIVES !!!

New bikes should provision for at least 6.5's front and rear. Adding a mic'd PA for the stereo would also be nice to talk to cagers. =)

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    LOUD MOTORCYCLE STEREOS SAVE LIVES !!!

New bikes should provision for at least 6.5's front and rear. Adding a mic'd PA for the stereo would also be nice to talk to cagers. =)
    IKR

Seriously, it's part of the deal for me. I really enjoy the whole package. I've sunk some cash into mine, so I guess I have less to want after. Don't get me wrong, I would love to test ride one of those, almost afraid to. I will definitely be waiting to see what Honda does with the GL line before I would plunk down money for the BMW. This past weekend ride I was ever so pleased with my B though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewdog View Post
    The bike looks terrific and no doubt performs according to the specs. My biggest issue is getting in bed with the dealers. Every one I've been to is arrogant not to mention expensive, and they rule the warranty with an iron fist. I was at the one in Cleveland and the shop was so full of bike repairs sitting around, you could barely walk through it. Looking further at the BMW forums, these machines are not without their problems and issues. I'm sticking with the F6B and will happily wait for the next generation from Honda.
    Coming off a BMW, I can attest to deal warranty issues as I had a gremlin in my computer that was a 9 month + ordeal that dealer A could never get right and dealer B fixed the bike after 3 DEAD ON ROAD recalls.
    The first bill was 1500.00 and a call to BMW. They competed the part as the bike was out of warranty and the problem was noted before warranty expired but I was on my own for the labor.
    The Dealer in my opinion was more than fair and I would not hesitate to purchase from THIS Dealer.
    With that said I now have my F6B, and do not even worry about vehicle engineered flaws that BMW is known for and they have a few....

The K1600 has a loyal following and I am sure the 1600B is a fine machine, but that price tag is way to high for a first year flaw finder in my opinion.
    K13 was a 11 plus year run starting in 2004 with the 1200 and still had clutch issues in 2015. German engineering is sometimes more complicated than it needs to be.
    2015 Matt Grey F6B Deluxe - Gloria
    2011 BMW K 1300S - Stella
    2000 Triumph Sprint ST - Trixie
    2000 Ducati Monster 900 - Monster
    1985 HD FXRS (Still in the Shop as a reminder) - Frita
    1984 HD XLX - The First

Quote Originally Posted by LA Weld View Post
    Coming off a BMW, I can attest to deal warranty issues as I had a gremlin in my computer that was a 9 month + ordeal that dealer A could never get right and dealer B fixed the bike after 3 DEAD ON ROAD recalls.
    The first bill was 1500.00 and a call to BMW. They competed the part as the bike was out of warranty and the problem was noted before warranty expired but I was on my own for the labor.
    The Dealer in my opinion was more than fair and I would not hesitate to purchase from THIS Dealer.
    With that said I now have my F6B, and do not even worry about vehicle engineered flaws that BMW is known for and they have a few....

The K1600 has a loyal following and I am sure the 1600B is a fine machine, but that price tag is way to high for a first year flaw finder in my opinion.
    K13 was a 11 plus year run starting in 2004 with the 1200 and still had clutch issues in 2015. German engineering is sometimes more complicated than it needs to be.
    The reliability factor was another reason I went with the B in 2014. The BMW K1600GT and GTL were on my list of potentials. I was never quite enthused about the front end appearance, but reading through some of the trouble issues with the electronics was definitely something that went into the consideration. Hopefully by now ,they have those gremlins resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    The reliability factor was another reason I went with the B in 2014. The BMW K1600GT and GTL were on my list of potentials. I was never quite enthused about the front end appearance, but reading through some of the trouble issues with the electronics was definitely something that went into the consideration. Hopefully by now ,they have those gremlins resolved.
    Not from what I have heard
    The GS1200 is hands down the bike to have for touring SO I HAVE BEEN TOLD, that is not my style of ride for me. many a K13 ride went to the GS, I went the other way.
    I am getting ready to do a week on the F6 and I will see if I miss my sport touring rocket. I just could not see myself on a GS
    2015 Matt Grey F6B Deluxe - Gloria
    2011 BMW K 1300S - Stella
    2000 Triumph Sprint ST - Trixie
    2000 Ducati Monster 900 - Monster
    1985 HD FXRS (Still in the Shop as a reminder) - Frita
    1984 HD XLX - The First

I also discontinued BMW ownership after my K1200LT. I have to say that it was very reliable and never let me down. 2 things broke during my 80,000+ miles with it:

- trunk lock latch. All of them would break at some point. It was over engineered, too many small weak parts, and made out of pot metal. If broke under warranty BMW would replace the whole trunk! BMW did not sell just the latch itself. If outside the warranty you were on your own. Finally a gentleman from K1200LT forum made replacement latches out of aircraft grade aluminum, guaranteed for life. I installed his and never a problem again.
    - shift linkage broke. Apparently some were not lubed properly at the assembly line. The dealer replaced it for free (to me), lubed it properly and I never had a problem again.

That was it. Never an engine, transmission or frame problem. I also would recommend my dealer, Touring Sports in Greenville SC. They also sold Ducati, Aprilia, Vespa and maybe more. They were very professional. Because they are about 120 miles from my house I always made a service appointment. They would take the bike in and start working on it right away. I simply waited there until finished.

I have a Honda dealer in town and this is pretty much the reason I decided on Honda. It just seemed like a safe choice. So far F6B has been very reliable and enjoyable bike. Sometimes, though, to me it feels so refined that is bland and lacks a bit more character. I have to admit that I really enjoy riding my Ultra Classic, which by comparison feels like it has a pulse and makes me feel 'bad'. That's why I always have at least 2 bikes at a time, a sportier tourer and a cruiser, as I really enjoy feeling different while riding each bike. Kind of like owning a sports convertible and a pickup truck. I like both.

Seems to me that BMW bikes suffer mostly from electrical problems, which is a direct result of putting so much technology in them. Maybe over time they'll get it right. I like the tech in bikes. Next gen Honda GW, if they continue, should be tech ladden as well. Just look at new Yamaha Venture (which I will try as well).

It's good to have many choices.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden

Quote Originally Posted by LA Weld View Post
    Not from what I have heard
    The GS1200 is hands down the bike to have for touring SO I HAVE BEEN TOLD, that is not my style of ride for me. many a K13 ride went to the GS, I went the other way.
    I am getting ready to do a week on the F6 and I will see if I miss my sport touring rocket. I just could not see myself on a GS
    I didn't even mention the GS1200