Distracted Drivers - are you one of them?

Thread: Distracted Drivers - are you one of them?

Distracted Drivers - are you one of them?

I noticed some interesting and disturbing responses on a different forum thread that was morphing so I am starting this thread in F6B land to address these issues straight up.

I feel and lots and lots of behavioral research agrees that:

People who fiddle with their phones and other gadgets while operating a vehicle are three things:

1) self absorbed

2) selfish and thinking only of themselves

3) dangerous to other people and themselves

As people whose lifes often cling to a fraction of a second we can ill afford to support (in any way) people who drive while distracted, especially with devices which take significant visual resources and shift them away from the primary task of operating a vehicle.

9 years ago I was hit by a car doing 50 mph from the year - she was texting. The damage as you might imagine was significant and life altering.

I am also a neuro-muscular therapist who works with accident victims everyday; and everyday these patients who have been seriously harmed tell me their tales of woe about being hurt by a distracted driver - primarily phone use / texting etc.. but fiddling with GPS devices or anything else that requires split focus of hand eye coordination is also part of the mix.

My daughter who was told "NO - texting while driving" did not heed my warning and slammed into the back of a car that pulled up short to avoid a blow that occurred in front of her, creatied a chain reaction that not only destroyed her right foot but several other people lives. for the last 7 years she has limped around pathetically and in pain - a horrible reminder that she could have easily prevented her pain and the pain she caused others by doing one of two things:

1) wait till you are off the road - meaning - pull over if it is that important, and it never is.
    or
    2) wait till you get home.

Science has shown over and over again that people who are fiddling with their digital devices while driving are every bit and sometimes more dangerous than drunk drivers - they used race car drivers in these tests to prove their point.

I realize that you can't change people who have these impulsive character flaws; the best we can do is make them aware of how dangerous they are behaving. Yes it is a behavior guided by a poor choice.

RANT:
    If you are one of those people (WHO THINKS) you can operate a vehicle of any kind safely while playing with digital devices that require your eyes and hands - you are for warned that you are only fooling yourself mentally while putting yourself and others physically in harms way. It not if, rather just when.

It can wait - if it can't pull off the road.

Peace out
    Be Careful What YOU Wish For

Distracted

How very true. Thanks for posting

enjoy the link

Quote Originally Posted by tiltingf6b View Post
    I noticed some interesting and disturbing responses on a different forum thread that was morphing so I am starting this thread in F6B land to address these issues straight up.

I feel and lots and lots of behavioral research agrees that:

People who fiddle with their phones and other gadgets while operating a vehicle are three things:

1) self absorbed

2) selfish and thinking only of themselves

3) dangerous to other people and themselves

As people whose lifes often cling to a fraction of a second we can ill afford to support (in any way) people who drive while distracted, especially with devices which take significant visual resources and shift them away from the primary task of operating a vehicle.

9 years ago I was hit by a car doing 50 mph from the year - she was texting. The damage as you might imagine was significant and life altering.

I am also a neuro-muscular therapist who works with accident victims everyday; and everyday these patients who have been seriously harmed tell me their tales of woe about being hurt by a distracted driver - primarily phone use / texting etc.. but fiddling with GPS devices or anything else that requires split focus of hand eye coordination is also part of the mix.

My daughter who was told "NO - texting while driving" did not heed my warning and slammed into the back of a car that pulled up short to avoid a blow that occurred in front of her, creatied a chain reaction that not only destroyed her right foot but several other people lives. for the last 7 years she has limped around pathetically and in pain - a horrible reminder that she could have easily prevented her pain and the pain she caused others by doing one of two things:

1) wait till you are off the road - meaning - pull over if it is that important, and it never is.
    or
    2) wait till you get home.

Science has shown over and over again that people who are fiddling with their digital devices while driving are every bit and sometimes more dangerous than drunk drivers - they used race car drivers in these tests to prove their point.

I realize that you can't change people who have these impulsive character flaws; the best we can do is make them aware of how dangerous they are behaving. Yes it is a behavior guided by a poor choice.

RANT:
    If you are one of those people (WHO THINKS) you can operate a vehicle of any kind safely while playing with digital devices that require your eyes and hands - you are for warned that you are only fooling yourself mentally while putting yourself and others physically in harms way. It not if, rather just when.

It can wait - if it can't pull off the road.

Peace out
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8crvXJJNxbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbjSWDwJILs
    Be Careful What YOU Wish For

100% agree.

A few thoughts:

1. I am guilty of fiddling with my phone while driving on occasion. Not very often texting, but getting a podcast starting, syncing Bluetooth, etc. Just as bad, perhaps worse.

To counter this, I have imposed some self-discipline. I put the phone in my glovebox on "vibrate". If I get a call, I can answer it hands-free through Bluetooth. I set up podcasts to play in the driveway or at stop lights. My motivation? I feel I owe it to my fellow citizens to be a safe driver so I do not hurt them, or myself for that matter. Anyone who messes with their phone while driving know the vehicle is essentially driving itself for a few seconds.

2. I think we are close to a time where phones go into a limited mode of operation once the vehicle is in motion, beyond 10 mph or something like that. Apple is releasing that feature in their next software update, I heard.

3. Beyond texting or phone calls, law enforcement cannot prove that were using your phone at any time because using Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or setting up a podcast to play, does not show up on your statement of usage.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

One thing for sure, when I'm riding there's no gadgets getting in my way, including GPS. It's bad enough to operate the music controls. I keep two hands on my steering wheel too. I'm not perfect. I do things when stopped, and that's not right either. It's a gadget world, very difficult.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

A few years back,i witnessed a guy talking on the phone,holding it to his left ear,turning left through an intersection with the light and into the path of an ambulance approaching from the left . All cars had stopped but he did not hear or see the emergency vehicle. With that I committed to not use the phone while driving -ever. Now I have bluetooth and can answer with the touch of a button.Even with that while I'm talking I may miss a turn or something -so far negligible.
    I'll answer via bluetooth but i ignore txt completely. All my friends and business associates know if you want me call me.On the bike everything gets ignored.My family knows to call repeatedly and I'll pull over and call back.

I rarely answer my phone when driving, my worst habit is looking at it to change the song... I had a close call once and I endeavor not to fiddle with it. Some type of speed lock needs to be put in place however I'm not sure how you do that and still allow passengers to use their devices. People have so many gadgets and gizmos on their dashes anymore...

I blame the system. If they made it a $500 fine for the first offense and an additional $500 added to the fine for every conviction thereafter it wouldn't be long before few people could afford their expensive phones. But an additional benefit would be lighter traffic due to a lack of funds to buy gas and thereby save the planet.
    I know I personally can't take a 5 minute ride without seeing someone talking on the phone or worse yet texting. For an incentive to enforce the law, let the cop keep 5% of the fines and I'll bet the balance would still pay his yearly salary.
    Then again there would be more cops writing tickets and more politically correct people still alive to populate the world. Hmmm maybe we need more thought on this subject.

rudymsmith

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    One thing for sure, when I'm riding there's no gadgets getting in my way, including GPS. It's bad enough to operate the music controls. I keep two hands on my steering wheel too. I'm not perfect. I do things when stopped, and that's not right either. It's a gadget world, very difficult.
    +1. I ride with no GPS, Bluetooth, or any type of radio. The f6 motor is my music. Until laws are passed that truly punish texting drivers, nothing will change. Silly penalties of $150 or so, will not stop them. Make the 1st offense $1000, and 2nd offense a 3 months suspension and fine, then these idiots may think twice about their distracted driving. Too many innocent drivers are being killed or injured, from cell phone users being distracted. "Hands free" phones are no better, because the person is thinking about the phone call, rather than driving. Okay, I'm done with my rant!