Thank you, thank you, thank you - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thank you, thank you, thank you

Cool

This has been debated many times...a lot of diffs are sent out low... when is the last time you personally know of one that failed? I only know of one...Keep riding...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

On GL1800s the rear end fluid is a static read. If the rear wheel was spun just prior to checking it, it will read low. It take a few minutes for the fluid to drip from the gears.

Yes, checking its level is part of a PDI (pre-delivery inspection). The next check is not part of an oil change, but it is part of an 8,000 mile service. Some confuse services with oil and filter changes. Services are more expensive, take longer, and usually follow a manufactures maintenance suggestions.

For whatever reason there seems to be a myth about molly added at the factory. There's probably no truth to that myth. However, various products are used when setting up the final drive (adjusting the ring and pinion), and some might confuse that product with an additive. Since they are of no harm, such products are often not cleaned off, but end up getting mixed in once the 80w-90 oil is added. A good example of such stuff is the assembly lube found in the bottom of the rear brake master cylinder. It gels and collects in the bottom of the reservoir. Its very visible when doing a the first brake fluid change at 12k. Some is usually still found when doing a 3rd brake fluid change at 36k.

With Honda's brake recall, and after its been completed, assembly lube is now collecting in the reservoir all over again.

Well, after reading this thread, I changed the rear end oil. Same results as everyone. Glad I did, I'm leaving on a 1500 mile trip.