The New Yamaha Star Eluder - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The New Yamaha Star Eluder

I have been reading about this bike for at least a month. We were contemplating a full tourer and I find that the riding position on the Gold Wing pushes me too far forward for my liking.

The Yamaha Star Venture definitely caught my eye. At first glance, I came to the same initial opinion that it was air cooled and belt driven. I have friends that have put many long distance rides on the Victory Cross Countries and Visions without issues.

Other comments that I have read are that this bike is under horse powered. Yamaha hasn't put any horse power ratings out that I can see. 1854 cc and a bike that weighs in at around 950 lbs.

Demo events are far and few. There is one in Massachusetts and a Victoria CC friend and I have an appointment to take the Venture out for a ride. We'll see how it runs.

It was interesting to see Yamaha strip down the Star Venture Transcontinental and turn it into a bagger they're calling the Venture Eluder. Hmmmmmmm! Sound familiar? The Eluder has a few more bells and whistles over the F6B but comes with a pretty big price tag in comparison. For me, I'd likely stay with my F6B over the Eluder. However, if I were to pull the trigger on a tourer, the Star Venture Transcontinental would be in the running at this point. We'll see how the demo goes tomorrow 9/9.

In all honesty, my biggest concern at this moment would be if Yamaha was paying attention to rider concerns and introduced a water cooled/shaft driven version in the next model year. The initial roll out of the Venture was to originally take place this month but has been postponed to mid December.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have two friends that own and operate Yamaha dealerships. Both expressed dismay when they found out it was air cooled and belt driven. We'll just have to wait and see how it sells.

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    I have two friends that own and operate Yamaha dealerships. Both expressed dismay when they found out it was air cooled and belt driven. We'll just have to wait and see how it sells.
    I don't see the issue with some negative comments about the Yamaha...Harley and Indian both make air cooled V-twins with belt drive and they sell extremely well in the market place..Yamaha has been making big V-twin engines, some of the best out there, for years with no issues....I had two Victory's with big V-twins, mostly air cooled, with belt drives and had no problems at all....JMHO

There concern was not that they're V Twin. They are concerned that for all practical purposes the Yamaha is truly air cooled while most, if not all, of the others are a combination of air/liquid cool of some type. As I'm sure you know, air cooled engines expand and contract more than liquid cooled engines and (supposedly) are less reliable. I know someone will chime up that they know of an air cooled V Twin with 500,000 miles on it but that was their concern.

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    There concern was not that they're V Twin. They are concerned that for all practical purposes the Yamaha is truly air cooled while most, if not all, of the others are a combination of air/liquid cool of some type. As I'm sure you know, air cooled engines expand and contract more than liquid cooled engines and (supposedly) are less reliable. I know someone will chime up that they know of an air cooled V Twin with 500,000 miles on it but that was their concern.
    Probably referring to oil/air cooled? My Dr650 is like that.... it's practically impossible for it to overheat. In the wintertime I have to block off the front of the radiating oil cooler so it can reach operating temperature. Suzuki made the DR650 almost too efficient in shedding heat.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Jhox View Post
    Market research must indicate more buyers DO want a V-Twin than buyers who do not.
    I agree with your comment, big twins sell better to the masses. I can't argue that. To me those bikes fall backwards relying style over functionality. A four or six cylinder liquid cooled bike suits my riding style much better. As far as Yamaha is concerned the FJR will run circles around the Eluder in every contest.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyWho View Post
    I agree with your comment, big twins sell better to the masses. I can't argue that. To me those bikes fall backwards relying style over functionality. A four or six cylinder liquid cooled bike suits my riding style much better. As far as Yamaha is concerned the FJR will run circles around the Eluder in every contest.
    I agree the FJR will do a number on the new Eluder, but it is sold as a "Sport Tourer" and is one. The Eluder apparently will be marketed as a "Bagger" with touring capabilities as is the F6B....Regards and ride safe..

I went to Yamaha Demo Days in Mesa, AZ today. I was disappointed in the lack of coordination, effort, and poor attitude from the Yamaha employees. The Yamaha factory website stated the event started at 10am. I arrived at 9:15 to sign up and get a good place in line. The event had already started and I needed to wait while a couple of rides went before I could go. Oh well, that's not the end of the world. When it was my time to go I was told the ride was over booked and the bike I waited for wasn't available because the Yamaha tour leader wanted to ride it. They sent me back inside to reschedule. By that time way too many people had signed up and I would have to wait a couple hours for the bike I was told I could ride at my originally scheduled time. To which their reply was basiclly "oh well there's people in front of you now".

I was there to ride an FJR, and the Eluder just because it was there. I didn't ride either, just ended up telling Yamaha to piss off and left. I really wanted the FJR for the performance/sport touring that I enjoy here on the mountain roads. I don't think I'll buy a Yamaha after the way that went down.

Cool ummmm

the bike eludes me...

Quote Originally Posted by SPGrenier View Post
    I have been reading about this bike for at least a month. We were contemplating a full tourer and I find that the riding position on the Gold Wing pushes me too far forward for my liking.

The Yamaha Star Venture definitely caught my eye. At first glance, I came to the same initial opinion that it was air cooled and belt driven. I have friends that have put many long distance rides on the Victory Cross Countries and Visions without issues.

Other comments that I have read are that this bike is under horse powered. Yamaha hasn't put any horse power ratings out that I can see. 1854 cc and a bike that weighs in at around 950 lbs.

Demo events are far and few. There is one in Massachusetts and a Victoria CC friend and I have an appointment to take the Venture out for a ride. We'll see how it runs.

It was interesting to see Yamaha strip down the Star Venture Transcontinental and turn it into a bagger they're calling the Venture Eluder. Hmmmmmmm! Sound familiar? The Eluder has a few more bells and whistles over the F6B but comes with a pretty big price tag in comparison. For me, I'd likely stay with my F6B over the Eluder. However, if I were to pull the trigger on a tourer, the Star Venture Transcontinental would be in the running at this point. We'll see how the demo goes tomorrow 9/9.

In all honesty, my biggest concern at this moment would be if Yamaha was paying attention to rider concerns and introduced a water cooled/shaft driven version in the next model year. The initial roll out of the Venture was to originally take place this month but has been postponed to mid December.
    Just curious... What qualities are you looking for in a "full tourer" that your B doesn't/can't provide? Again, just curious because there are a lot of people that add a giant windshield and a trunk solution then put many, many miles.
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa