F6B not knee friendly....help - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: F6B not knee friendly....help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Navvet View Post
    I am big (but not as big as Big Larry) with a 36+" inseam and have a lot of problems with my knees.

I went the Roadsmith route, Moved the pegs and controls forward a couple of inches and down a touch. Bike is now much more comfortable and I can get my size 14's on the controls safely.

Do a forum search for Roadsmith for more info.
    Roadsmith! That's the name I couldn't remember. How are you finding the heat with your toes that near the cylinder heads?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    Roadsmith! That's the name I couldn't remember. How are you finding the heat with your toes that near the cylinder heads?

Jason
    I have not noticed a difference, Just overall more legroom.

2013 F6B
    2016 Spyder F3 Ltd

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by gmorstad View Post
    I have addressed this previously so I hope nobody minds hearing about it again. I too have knee problems and had to sell my ST1300 because of my knees. I thought the F6b would be better so I bought one. After riding a short time my knees were hurting again and I was afraid I would have to sell it until I put on the Kuryakyn II pegs. The pegs saved my riding. Because of them I can sit in about five different positions including lifting the bottom of my butt completely off the seat while pushing hard on the pegs. I'm not concerned about braking because the bike has linked brakes so pulling the brake handle engages both front and back. I only use the pegs when I don't plan on braking anyway. The ability to straighten my legs with the pegs has definitely helped my knees and allowed me to keep riding.https://imgur.com/a/kNdPg
    I have an ST1300 and I have a similar problem with it. After riding many hours, my knees are just hurting from being in the same position for so long. There just doesn't seem to be any way of fitting some sort of highway pegs to it. I asked on the ST forum and was told to get a HD b/c this bike wasn't meant for that. Other than that (and no cruise control) I love my ST1300.

With the GW/F6B, the mick o pegs are available and I know people that swear by them.

I think a big part of new rider discomfort on the F6B, is the missed riding position on past bikes.

You have to get used to the new seating position of a Goldwing centric modeled bike.

It takes time, it did for me.... though with with some 3/4" drop adapters it helped me...

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Trade it in on a Suzuki Bandit. After a few blocks your bum will ache so much you will forget about the pain in your knee's.

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Trade it in on a Suzuki Bandit. After a few blocks your bum will ache so much you will forget about the pain in your knee's.

Try a stock DR650 seat. After an hour... you'll feel like you were sitting on a 2x4

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I think a big part of new rider discomfort on the F6B, is the missed riding position on past bikes.

You have to get used to the new seating position of a Goldwing centric modeled bike.

It takes time, it did for me.... though with with some 3/4" drop adapters it helped me...
    I dunno. I've around 8000 miles on my F6B now, and my shoulders and neck still hurt after anything over an hour of constant riding.
    I've moved the handlebars a few times...up, out, closer to me, Mustang seat, adjustable hiway pegs, adjustable windshield to eliminate buffeting...
    Haven't figured it out yet.
    Luckily, my butt, back, knees and everything else feel great after an all-day ride on the F6B.
    The F6B is overall more comfortable than my 2002 Night Train. But while the NT hurts me a lil in a few different spots after a long ride, the F6B hurts worse in that one spot than I've ever experienced on a motorcycle. It gets numb, and hurts for days after. Kinda defeats the point of buying the bike for more comfortable, long trips.
    So, I get where the OP is coming from.
    What I can offer is, if you really dig the bike, try those forward pegs and a different seat. Not the Mustang seat. It puts more bend in the knees. I'm 5'10" and it put my knees right at 90 degrees.

Interesting thread to read.

I think a lot of people come to the F6B from traditional feet-forward Vtwin cruisers, like I did.

In fact, I almost didn't buy an F6B because of the standard seating position, versus feet-forward. A guy with a BMW told me that, ergonomically, having your feet directly under you is better for longer distance as it naturally distributes some of your weight between your arse and your legs, versus a cruiser, where your arse is responsible for supporting all of your upper body weight.

In my experience, at 6'1", 230 lbs, and a 33" inseam, he is right. Strange how so many of you guys, my height or even shorter, find your knees to be in pain from this seating position. Reading this thread, this is the first time I have even considered knees as an area of comfort concern.

I have logged 14,000 miles on my F6B and I find it to be more comfortable with the stock pegs and seat than the two 1100 Vstars I owned. One even had an Airhawk R!

My problem with any motorcycle, snowmobile, jet ski, ATV seat is width at the hips and thigh support. I would describe my body as an upside down guitar, wide at the hips, wide at the shoulders, long legs. The F6B has the widest seat of any recreational vehicle I have owned, and I think that is why it is the most comfortable (I still don't like to go more than an hour without a five minute break) of any of the non-cars I have owned.

On almost any machine I have owned, my butt gets so uncomfortable after a few hours, I cannot tolerate sitting on it any longer. I cannot ride a bicycle for more than 10-15 minutes without wanting to walk the rest of the way.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by LPMojo View Post
    I dunno. I've around 8000 miles on my F6B now, and my shoulders and neck still hurt after anything over an hour of constant riding.
    I've moved the handlebars a few times...up, out, closer to me, Mustang seat, adjustable hiway pegs, adjustable windshield to eliminate buffeting...
    Haven't figured it out yet.
    Luckily, my butt, back, knees and everything else feel great after an all-day ride on the F6B.
    The F6B is overall more comfortable than my 2002 Night Train. But while the NT hurts me a lil in a few different spots after a long ride, the F6B hurts worse in that one spot than I've ever experienced on a motorcycle. It gets numb, and hurts for days after. Kinda defeats the point of buying the bike for more comfortable, long trips.
    So, I get where the OP is coming from.
    What I can offer is, if you really dig the bike, try those forward pegs and a different seat. Not the Mustang seat. It puts more bend in the knees. I'm 5'10" and it put my knees right at 90 degrees.
    That's how I was when I bought my new 13 in 14. SHortly after, I installed the Helibars and completely cured my neck and shoulder pain. I have put in 16 hour plus days with no discomfort in that area at all.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"