Quote Originally Posted by thumper 549 View Post
Forgive my arrogance or ignorance whichever it may be-but
If you all elect colorado-what else is scheduled to do there besides the motel?
My point- try to pick something that will include some rides and attractions.
From the comment perhaps you have never been to Colorado, and particularly western Colorado. Mountains, canyons, twisties, sweepers, mountain passes, etc, etc. As for scheduling things, that's what will happen once the location is determined. I thought Colorado but looks like location still TBD. I've ridden in just about all of the lower 48 plus Hawaii, enjoyed all of that riding (well, most), but am always enlightened when I return to ride the roads in Colorado. (This summer I even found a couple of nice roads that I had not previously ridden -- surprised myself). I personally never cared for overly-organized/structured gatherings, and prefer those which have been pulled together by various members of GL1800riders.com members, this forum, and similar. All about friendships and riding. From NY to GA to NC to TN to WA to CA to CO to AZ to OH to OR to SD to WY to MT, to ID to UT to NV to AR, etc. Yep, great riding in most parts of the country. Lots of fun.

If the gathering is about hanging out with friends and awesome riding, then those who attend will have a great time. If it is in Montrose, that is a great location. It is a nice little country town with some good lodging, good restaurants, and friendly people -- and is a central location for great rides, such as:

--Million Dollar Highway (US-550), or the whole San Juan Skyway includes Ouray, Red Mountain Pass, Silverton, Molas Pass, Coal Bank Pass, Durango, Delores, Rico, Telluride, and Dallas Divide. An awesome day of riding.
--Grand Mesa (highest flattop mesa in the world)
--Black Canyon of the Gunnison, South Rim and North Rim (CO-92 along the north rim is one of the best rides)
--Unaweep-Tabeguache Scenic Byway (includes Gateway, Delores River Canyon, and Dallas Divide)
--and more.

That all being said, I ride all through Colorado during the riding season...it is my backyard. So, my preference was somewhere else, but with great riding available on roads that are not overly-crowded with cages.