The Trials & Tribulations of Harley Ownership
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Trials & Tribulations of Harley Ownership

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Trials & Tribulations of Harley Ownership

So, in addition to the recently acquired F6B, the stable has three other bikes. Well, two other bikes now that I finally sold the 2011 Harley Wide Glide.

One of the two other bikes is a 2013 Harley CVO Road King.

It's the second one we've owned, as the identical bike that came before it was totaled by an inattentive motorist in Florida back in Oct 2015. We logged 19,500 trouble-free miles on "Blue I" from Aug 13 to Oct 15. The replacement bike, "Blue II" came to us with less than 2K miles and now has 12,000 as we've been spending a bit more time cycling and doing a few other things vs. riding bikes. However, the bike -- which I thought had incorporated an improved Compensator that solved previous failure issues -- started to sound like this on start-up a short while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmBQOX-LvSY

Sure enough, bad compensator and the rest of the associated parts in the primary case. Thank goodness for having an Extended Service Plan, which my trusted service advisor strongly encouraged. Hate that I had to use it, but glad that I have it as it's probably 1/2 paid for with just this one repair.

I've not heard anyone strongly encouraging anyone to get an extended service plan on the Honda GL's... or am I just missing it?

It's not strongly encouraged to get an Extended Honda warranty, at least on this board. Some of us have anyway. I doubt I'll ever use my extended warranty unless something catastrophic or very expensive to repair occurs. I do all on my maintenance and/or repairs myself

I'd trust a Stealership service department up to the point where the bike and the "tech" leave my sight.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Meh, don't feel too bad about the conpensator, they've been junk for several years now. Latest revision isn't any better. I went thru one every 10k miles on my 13 RGU. The wing won't likely need anything in the time you own it, bit then again, it doesn't have the same soul either. Different strokes for different folks.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
    Meh, don't feel too bad about the conpensator, they've been junk for several years now. Latest revision isn't any better. I went thru one every 10k miles on my 13 RGU. The wing won't likely need anything in the time you own it, bit then again, it doesn't have the same soul either. Different strokes for different folks.

Mike
    I'll take no soul compared to a broke down bike I can't ride! I know there's millions of Harley's out there, but it's about the only bike owners can't ride for a full season without an issue.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    I'll take no soul compared to a broke down bike I can't ride! I know there's millions of Harley's out there, but it's about the only bike owners can't ride for a full season without an issue.
    The wing is fun in the curves & is a mile muncher for sure, but, it just doesn't stir the soul. It's like a Beemer. It does everything so well, it's boring. Part of the ride is the adventure getting there. I prefer soul over boring. Must be why I own 2 shovelheads, a panhead, and am searching for a wing replacement.

Mike

Breaking down sucks. That's not adventure. That's a pain in the ass

Sorry.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Moving parts....

If flying big ass helicopters for 20+ years taught me anything, it was that "given enough moving parts, that entity has some sort of spirit."
    ALL my CH-53s had souls and they had no qualms whatsoever in expressing themselves in one way or another.
    The trick was to be tuned in to their frequency and decipher their language.

My Isleen and my Saorla both have souls....no question about that.
    They both talk to me, mostly happily, sometimes irreverently.

They sit too long - they get cabin fever.
    They both beg for my attention when I go out to the barn.
    They both want to be the one chosen to go somewhere.
    If not stroked and petted properly & regularly they misbehave.
    They both have "that time of the month" and get associatively cranky - though Saorla is in menopause I think. She's always too hot and somewhat bitchy.
    Sometimes walking to the barn, I open the door and almost immediately decide to take the truck instead either Saorla or Isleen.

Feel free to think about this as you may.
    Maybe I'm looney - maybe I'm just in sync with mechanical things - but either way it's not my concern how you think.
    But I have listened to more than a few 53s tell me "not today" and I'm alive today to tell the rest of the stories.

For those of you who treat your ride as a "motorized mistress" - IMH(AWI)O - good on you.
    For those of you that do not - no worries, but you're really missing out.
    In all cases, ride well.
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Do you ever say goodnight to your motorcycle(s) at the end of the day; just before you close the door on them? Especially after a long ride; and thank them for bringing you home safely?

I do.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Steve nailed it. I've worked in aviation awhile & figured out early on that all things mechanical are of the female persuasion. You can push all you want, but she won't be rushed out the door! She'll be ready when she's ready. Likewise, when they break, they're just unhappy with the lack of TLC they've been getting lately. So, ya gotta take em home, give em some love, and they'll eventually come around and be happy again.

And yes, I talk to my ladies, especially the 79. Damn I love her! My wife knows who my mistresses are, they live in my garage!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
    Steve nailed it. I've worked in aviation awhile & figured out early on that all things mechanical are of the female persuasion. You can push all you want, but she won't be rushed out the door! She'll be ready when she's ready. Likewise, when they break, they're just unhappy with the lack of TLC they've been getting lately. So, ya gotta take em home, give em some love, and they'll eventually come around and be happy again.

And yes, I talk to my ladies, especially the 79. Damn I love her! My wife knows who my mistresses are, they live in my garage!

Mike

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537