The Trials & Tribulations of Harley Ownership
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Trials & Tribulations of Harley Ownership

The Trials & Tribulations of Harley Ownership

So, in addition to the recently acquired F6B, the stable has three other bikes. Well, two other bikes now that I finally sold the 2011 Harley Wide Glide.

One of the two other bikes is a 2013 Harley CVO Road King.

It's the second one we've owned, as the identical bike that came before it was totaled by an inattentive motorist in Florida back in Oct 2015. We logged 19,500 trouble-free miles on "Blue I" from Aug 13 to Oct 15. The replacement bike, "Blue II" came to us with less than 2K miles and now has 12,000 as we've been spending a bit more time cycling and doing a few other things vs. riding bikes. However, the bike -- which I thought had incorporated an improved Compensator that solved previous failure issues -- started to sound like this on start-up a short while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmBQOX-LvSY

Sure enough, bad compensator and the rest of the associated parts in the primary case. Thank goodness for having an Extended Service Plan, which my trusted service advisor strongly encouraged. Hate that I had to use it, but glad that I have it as it's probably 1/2 paid for with just this one repair.

I've not heard anyone strongly encouraging anyone to get an extended service plan on the Honda GL's... or am I just missing it?

It's not strongly encouraged to get an Extended Honda warranty, at least on this board. Some of us have anyway. I doubt I'll ever use my extended warranty unless something catastrophic or very expensive to repair occurs. I do all on my maintenance and/or repairs myself

I'd trust a Stealership service department up to the point where the bike and the "tech" leave my sight.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Meh, don't feel too bad about the conpensator, they've been junk for several years now. Latest revision isn't any better. I went thru one every 10k miles on my 13 RGU. The wing won't likely need anything in the time you own it, bit then again, it doesn't have the same soul either. Different strokes for different folks.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TandemGeek View Post
    So, in addition to the recently acquired F6B, the stable has three other bikes. Well, two other bikes now that I finally sold the 2011 Harley Wide Glide.

One of the two other bikes is a 2013 Harley CVO Road King.

It's the second one we've owned, as the identical bike that came before it was totaled by an inattentive motorist in Florida back in Oct 2015. We logged 19,500 trouble-free miles on "Blue I" from Aug 13 to Oct 15. The replacement bike, "Blue II" came to us with less than 2K miles and now has 12,000 as we've been spending a bit more time cycling and doing a few other things vs. riding bikes. However, the bike -- which I thought had incorporated an improved Compensator that solved previous failure issues -- started to sound like this on start-up a short while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmBQOX-LvSY

Sure enough, bad compensator and the rest of the associated parts in the primary case. Thank goodness for having an Extended Service Plan, which my trusted service advisor strongly encouraged. Hate that I had to use it, but glad that I have it as it's probably 1/2 paid for with just this one repair.

I've not heard anyone strongly encouraging anyone to get an extended service plan on the Honda GL's... or am I just missing it?
    Two part answer.
    I certainly have faith in a design that's been around and refined for over 42 years, so long term repairs are not a concern to me. Should something come up the odds are the cost of repair will be equal to or close to any extended plan I might purchase.

Secondly, again speaking for me only, I've never been an advocate of any extended warranty because warranty language of any kind is carefully crafted to protect the vendor or manufacturer, not the purchaser.

They do provide peace of mind in many cases but insurance companies don't build wealth by paying out claims.

On the topic of peace of mind, the F6B GL1800 platform has definitely provided that to me on countless rides.

Welcome to the B hive!
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
    Meh, don't feel too bad about the conpensator, they've been junk for several years now. Latest revision isn't any better. I went thru one every 10k miles on my 13 RGU. The wing won't likely need anything in the time you own it, bit then again, it doesn't have the same soul either. Different strokes for different folks.

Mike
    I'll take no soul compared to a broke down bike I can't ride! I know there's millions of Harley's out there, but it's about the only bike owners can't ride for a full season without an issue.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    I'll take no soul compared to a broke down bike I can't ride! I know there's millions of Harley's out there, but it's about the only bike owners can't ride for a full season without an issue.
    The wing is fun in the curves & is a mile muncher for sure, but, it just doesn't stir the soul. It's like a Beemer. It does everything so well, it's boring. Part of the ride is the adventure getting there. I prefer soul over boring. Must be why I own 2 shovelheads, a panhead, and am searching for a wing replacement.

Mike

Breaking down sucks. That's not adventure. That's a pain in the ass

Sorry.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Ditto.

Breaking down, even on que, isn't fun or adventurous.

Ugh. Compensators don't just go tits up & leave you stranded. How about a flat? Of course that only happens on a Harley. I've only been stranded for a short bit by a regulator that went tits up. Stopped every 50 miles, found a charger, topped off, kept going. Guess the adventure is knowing how to get out of a bind vs calling AAA.

Mike

Speedjunkie, I"m with you. That's why my 90 HD sits next to my F6B. They both put smiles on my face, just different smiles.
    Telling the F6B folks you like your HD is like farting in church. Telling the HD guys you bought an F6B is like coming out of the closet as a tranny.
    ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„