Quote Originally Posted by 3Chief View Post
Actually if I remember correctly Taxfree4 is a very astute individual when it comes to the legalese of taxes and found a way out of a large percentage of what most of us consider normal taxes. There was a prior post quite awhile back on the subject. I cannot remember who was the other major contributor on that thread but very interesting reading.
I think I agree with Taxfree4's attitude on taxes: pay as little as is legal. If he's got a legit/legal strategies to cut what I pay Uncle S., I'd love to get hear it.

It's been several years since my Dad passed. One of the many things I miss about having him around, was his business and tax advice. I remember him telling me that one principle of tax law was that you should take advantage of every legal way to reduce the amount you paid. He'd say the laws were there to be taken advantage of. As long as one obeyed the law you can take that deduction, credit or shelter. He used to also say that the cost of living in a civilization was taxes, but that nobody should pay more than what they were legally required. What I find so distressing is that the system is now so complex and unfair, that I, with a graduate degree in state and local governmental finance, need a friggin accountant to ensure that I pay as little as possible, without violating the law. It is insane. And I don't like high local property taxes much either. Especially high school district property taxes in upstate New York state make me nuts. But that is a whole other discussion...!