BMW K1600B - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BMW K1600B

BMW 1600B

What would take me away from my F6B would be 2 things i want and the Beemer has Reverse and 6th gear. The Beemer has those really cool floor boards, LED circular headlites, wind deflectors I have to see it in person before I buy but it had my attention. Oh and a nav system too

Quote Originally Posted by LA Weld View Post
    Coming off a BMW, I can attest to deal warranty issues as I had a gremlin in my computer that was a 9 month + ordeal that dealer A could never get right and dealer B fixed the bike after 3 DEAD ON ROAD recalls.
    The first bill was 1500.00 and a call to BMW. They competed the part as the bike was out of warranty and the problem was noted before warranty expired but I was on my own for the labor.
    The Dealer in my opinion was more than fair and I would not hesitate to purchase from THIS Dealer.
    With that said I now have my F6B, and do not even worry about vehicle engineered flaws that BMW is known for and they have a few....

The K1600 has a loyal following and I am sure the 1600B is a fine machine, but that price tag is way to high for a first year flaw finder in my opinion.
    K13 was a 11 plus year run starting in 2004 with the 1200 and still had clutch issues in 2015. German engineering is sometimes more complicated than it needs to be.
    Thanks for the great comments! You confirmed my suspicions. The K1600 is a great bike but I'm sticking with the "B." Its rock solid engineering. I saw a guy riding a HD Roadglide over the weekend in New York off I-90 at a rest stop. He loved my F6B and said it best, with Harley you pay for the name, with Honda you pay for the engineering. He's ready to unload the road glide and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by fast eddie View Post
    What would take me away from my F6B would be 2 things i want and the Beemer has Reverse and 6th gear. The Beemer has those really cool floor boards, LED circular headlites, wind deflectors I have to see it in person before I buy but it had my attention. Oh and a nav system too
    I just saw one in person. I thought I might like it and I wanted to like it once I had access for myself.

I can't put my finger on it, but it just looked way more complex and "busy" than our B. The engine is the focal point of the bike. It's not pretty, and appears to be way over engineered imo, whereas our B's engine is down and out of the way and "looks" smaller. The tank hump is the other part of the design that doesn't appeal to me now. It's much larger and in your face than the photos give away. Although I'm sure it's highway capable and has too much cool stuff to mention, but the bike's design seems to limit it's true purpose to city cruising and posing, unlike our very versatile B.

After my walk around I hopped back on my B the first thing that sprang to my mind was how "svelte" it felt.

Anyway the experience has allowed me to get it out of my system and move on - so to speak.

PS the experience reminded me that although it would be nice to have Honda release an updated version of the wing with new bells and whistles, I don't want them to mess with the design.

PPS...oh yeah Will, the pipes. Hornblower might be able to appreciate them, I understand they're tuned in B flat!

Those pipes look like they belong on a Mac truck.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Those pipes look like they belong on a Mac truck.
    I loved the thing at first glance, but now after more info/pictures are released I am not so sure..Agree the pipes are way to big and ugly and the gas tank "hump" is not my thing, but I will wait until I see one in person to place further judgments...So far this year I have seen nothing new that would prompt me to get rid of the F6B...Although I really do like the new Yamaha Touring bike I don't take many long trips anymore, so it would be wasted money for me....Hope Ma Honda does something really sweet with the new GW and perhaps a newer version of the B....Ride safe

Here's a review. As a guy that owns an FJR and an F6B, I had to laugh at the description of the front end (FJR) and the back end (F6B) of the BMW. Maybe if I leave my two bikes in the garage with some candles and a little Marvin Gaye, they'll create a Beemer baby of my own!

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...st-ride-review

Quote Originally Posted by jmdaniel View Post
    As a guy that owns an FJR and an F6B,.....

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...st-ride-review
    Hi Jeff

So what decides which bike you take out? Length of ride? Weather? Which needs the dust blown off?

I also have a stablemate for the B, a Kawa Vulcan 1700 that I run for shorter day trips to keep it charged up! The B is the bike of choice for just about any ride for me...

WEG

Wait....what?

From the article, tell me it ain't so!

"The back half looks very close to a Honda F6B to me, which would have been a competitor for this bike if it was still in production."

Quote Originally Posted by WEGI View Post
    Hi Jeff

So what decides which bike you take out? Length of ride? Weather? Which needs the dust blown off?

I also have a stablemate for the B, a Kawa Vulcan 1700 that I run for shorter day trips to keep it charged up! The B is the bike of choice for just about any ride for me...

WEG
    It usually comes down to a need for luggage. The FJR has lots, with the side bags, each of which is 3x the size of the same on the B, a Mama Yama rear case, and a Corbin Smuggler, because the wife don't ride. I was taking the B for the trip this week, because I have plenty of other reasons to be verbally abused, so didn't need to bring an FJR to a B rally...

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    From the article, tell me it ain't so!

"The back half looks very close to a Honda F6B to me, which would have been a competitor for this bike if it was still in production."
    Well, in the US, there was no '17 model, so it's kinda sorta true.