Tinkering
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tinkering

Tinkering

At the Rally Willtill had some red reflector tape behind the open slots in the front fairing. We all thought it looked good. Someone suggested putting red LEDs in there to make it more sinister looking. I think it was 53Driver who reminded us red is not allowed on the front of a vehicle. I had the front fairing off this week and got to thinking (that usually gets me in trouble) so I painted that plastic heart shaped piece inside red then mounted a row of clear LEDs above the red piece with two sided tape. The lights are not directly seen from outside and wired under the cubby and switched. Now while up close and sitting still you see a nice red glow out of the slots reflecting off the paint but when out front of the bike the headlights overcome the red so no legal problems. Adding fun stuff is much better than doing required maintenance. Yep!

Suggest you check the law on "red" lights on the front of any vehicle. One of our local riders got pull over 3-4 months ago, for red turn signals on the front of his old Yamaha. Cop told him federal law says, red on the rear only & amber okay on the front & rear. ================ just sayin'

Rick at Value Accessories has some excellent lighting in yellow/amber for the front.
    I picked it up it Pigeon Forge at the Rally, looks great at night.

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    Rick at Value Accessories has some excellent lighting in yellow/amber for the front.
    I picked it up it Pigeon Forge at the Rally, looks great at night.
    Picture? If you can't make it work, email it to me and I'll hang it for ya!!!
    Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    Suggest you check the law on "red" lights on the front of any vehicle. One of our local riders got pull over 3-4 months ago, for red turn signals on the front of his old Yamaha. Cop told him federal law says, red on the rear only & amber okay on the front & rear. ================ just sayin'
    I don't think it's that much of an issue with reflective red tape, on that plate which is underneath the two frontal faschia slots. It there was illuminated red light... well yes that would be an issue.

I am actually more concerned with the new generation round white LED ring lights I just installed from Value Accessories. The white LED rings are EXTREMELY bright; almost painful to look at and they project some serious light to the port and starboard of the bike. I'm sure that motor vehicle traffic laws state that you can't have this light mounted sideways on a vehicle... so I may be due for a conversation with a cop very soon over it.

Knocking on wood that it doesn't happen.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I don't think it's that much of an issue with reflective red tape, on that plate which is underneath the two frontal faschia slots. It there was illuminated red light... well yes that would be an issue.

I am actually more concerned with the new generation round white LED ring lights I just installed from Value Accessories. The white LED rings are EXTREMELY bright; almost painful to look at and they project some serious light to the port and starboard of the bike. I'm sure that motor vehicle traffic laws state that you can't have this light mounted sideways on a vehicle... so I may be due for a conversation with a cop very soon over it.

Heh.. I bought the same ones, I fired them up on the bench and went 'WOW!'...... Then realised I'd have to work order myself, ( or the boys at the station would)
    bugger.. so they're still in the bag...

Quote Originally Posted by Bryster View Post
    Heh.. I bought the same ones, I fired them up on the bench and went 'WOW!'...... Then realised I'd have to work order myself, ( or the boys at the station would)
    bugger.. so they're still in the bag...
    I know (from other motorcycle forums) that the Aussie cops can be very draconian with motorcyclists down under... we are fortunate here enough in the states here; that it’s not that bad with the local po-po for the most part.

Fingers crossed.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    I guess you did not read my post. Nowhere does it say I have "red" lights. I mounted white lights and it illuminates some red paint. Not even as much red as a red car would have or a red bike fender that reflects the headlight. Totally unseen from the front view.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post

I think some lights have got too bright. My bike already had the Artic White lights when I got it used and dang they are bright. The high beams are so much so that reflective hiway signs are almost unreadable due to the reflect back.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I think some lights have got too bright. My bike already had the Artic White lights when I got it used and dang they are bright. The high beams are so much so that reflective hiway signs are almost unreadable due to the reflect back.
    I have noticed the huge difference myself; between halogen and LED light projection/reflection. LED's really reflect back at you when viewing reflective road signs and the like; as you had stated.

LEDs definitely look and I am still undecided if I want to convert all of my frontal lighting to LED at this point.

I may ultimately uninstall the White LED badge rings that I have and possibly go for amber instead. In hindsight, I wish I would've done that... more legal.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537