Which Wind Screen to Buy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Wind Screen to Buy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edgeman55 View Post
    Looks are what held me back for 2 years but I think it looks better in person then in the pics I would see.Ugly or not I would not go back to a typical type windshield after riding behind the Madstad.
    Yep you are the one that pushed me over the edge to get!! I went ahead and went with the 15 after long conversation...just to make sure i can jack it up high enough to get the wifey more comfy. Hope I can see over, Larry felt i had a good shot, can always send back...damn, I could have about paid for a new shield with all the return shipping charges on failed shields! The cool thing is, they must have had one made, as I am getting it tomorrow after ordering on Sunday! I guess that could be a good or bad thing, LOL!!

I have the Goldwing tall with vent. I am 5'11" with 32" inseam and 34/35 sleeve. My seat is a Mustang Tripper which seats the rider 1" lower and back. I am pleased. No buffeting nor drama at highway speed and the vent adds adjustability for different temperatures and speed.

I did did try the bike without a shield and that was a joke. Couldn't ride much faster than 40 mph without gusts ​and wind noise.

I also have a 4.5mm Polycarbonate VStream Windscreen N20012A (with vent opening) that will fit the 2001-14 GL1800 that came on the bike when I bought it. That windscreen is ~22" tall and 26" wide. Gave ultimate protection but I did not like the look. Original Price was $229 and willing to sell for $100 plus shipping or pickup in SW FL.

Let us know

Let us know if you can see over it

Quote Originally Posted by keller123 View Post
    Yep you are the one that pushed me over the edge to get!! I went ahead and went with the 15 after long conversation...just to make sure i can jack it up high enough to get the wifey more comfy. Hope I can see over, Larry felt i had a good shot, can always send back...damn, I could have about paid for a new shield with all the return shipping charges on failed shields! The cool thing is, they must have had one made, as I am getting it tomorrow after ordering on Sunday! I guess that could be a good or bad thing, LOL!!

Some buffeting can also come from the type helmet being worn. I have 6 helmets, 1/2 type, 3/4 type, 2 differnt full face, a modular, and an adventure style. Each one reacts slightly different with regards to "buffeting", on the same bike at identical speeds. Pick out your favorite helmet, and find a shield that works well, with it. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Some buffeting can also come from the type helmet being worn. I have 6 helmets, 1/2 type, 3/4 type, 2 differnt full face, a modular, and an adventure style. Each one reacts slightly different with regards to "buffeting", on the same bike at identical speeds. Pick out your favorite helmet, and find a shield that works well, with it. JMO
    +1 - Same with my assorted helmets.
    19" Baggershield-
    3/4 - Unnoticeable to very little turbulence
    1/2 - Noticeable
    Full Face Arai - Very noticeable, tolerable

No turbulence - buffetting from any helmet with the 22" Baggershield quick extension up.

Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    +1 - Same with my assorted helmets.
    19" Baggershield-
    3/4 - Unnoticeable to very little turbulence
    1/2 - Noticeable
    Full Face Arai - Very noticeable, tolerable

No turbulence - buffetting from any helmet with the 22" Baggershield quick extension up.

Jim
    Sorry,
    It seems I embellished the size of my...wind shield a bit, in my previous post.
    I have the 11'' - 19" Baggershield.

Happy Holiday
    Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    Sorry,
    It seems I embellished the size of my...wind shield a bit, in my previous post.
    I have the 11'' - 19" Baggershield.

Happy Holiday
    Jim
    Yep, if that is the one with the smoke bottom, that is the one that i have been trying to find a replacement for. How tall are you? I can see that being a fine screen, one up, for 5 8" and below. At 6 feet in my normal, kind of slumped position, top third of my helmet getting hit with wind, passsenger miserable. Pretty annoying at about any speed but at 80mph on the wrong day, wrong meaning any wind, any semis 1/4 mile and closer ahead of me, summer days with heat turb up from the ground. MADstad, 95% of it all gone with 15 inch, top setting, 57 degrees. I love being able to do 80 now in modular helmet mode!! 19 inch bagger, in modular mode, literally dangerous at that speed. And my helmet made this God awful sound, thought it was broke, turned out, just toooooo much wind. This shield has made my cheap HAwk a totally awesome helmet!! I will never have anything else on my wings again. SOLD!! wow and talk about less back draft. Sometimes i like kicking my feet back on passenger pegs and leaning completely forward behind screen and go into sport mode i call it...yeah, kind of funny when i pass someone doing `110 as i am sure they are giggling when they see my position, but i like to adjust back position on long trips...bagger shield, back draft litterally pushed my whole body down, to the point of being a little unsafe position...madstad...ZERO DOWN PRESSURE,,,COMPLETELY SAFE AND COMFY. Try a madstad you will be sold!! again, if you only ride one up at 5 8;" under, you are prob good to go!
    When the world seems to be working against you. Drop everything and go for a ride!

Great! Glad to hear you found a sweet spot with your helmet & MS shield.

I'm 6.1, ride two up about half the time. Bagger works for us.

I just cannot get beyond the mechanical look of the MS.
    No jab intended. To each their own.

Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by dustytrader View Post
    Let us know if you can see over it
    My you tube review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vmqHGPvorQ&t=235s

Quote Originally Posted by keller123 View Post
    Watched your review and I am happy to hear you found the Madstad performs as well as my experience.A lot of riders like me put off trying the Madstad because of the looks but like you have found it really does look better in person and kind of compliments the F6B look.Looks aside who cares as it does the job it was made for so dang well.Can't hardly wait till spring so I can start putting a lot of miles behind it.