I had tried everything to get a USB connection from iPhone to USB connector in saddlebag, only thing that would connect was an old iPod once.
Tried countless OEM and aftermarket Lightning cords, tried a different connector to the radio, different phones and iPods, disconnected battery, everything. Wouldn't even charge.
Didn't want to deal with the stealer because it wasn't important enough to risk them screwing something else up.
The flash drive solution was good enough because it sounds fantastic and has track control on handlebars. Bluetooth has never sounded as good as the flash drive or had other issues.
Recently got a fantastic BT receiver with great audio out (hot!) but wanted to try the iphone again since Apple just put out IOS11 or something.
IT FINALLY CONNECTED!!!

So if you've had issues in the past and just gave up, it's worth trying again if you've updated your iPhone.

I am aware that many of you have had no problem connecting, there are some of us who couldn't. It may have something to do with how MFI was implemented on this system.
I'm off to run a cable up to the handlebars!

Edit: hooked a USB extension on and it still works great.
It gets better yet: pushing up on the TUNE/CH opens an iPod menu that lets me scroll through the playlists by tapping down on TUNE/CH, long press starts the playlist.