Thinking full Wing...due to ABS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking full Wing...due to ABS

Thinking full Wing...due to ABS

I have had my F6 for two years, 15k miles. I have never gotten over the fact that it does not have ABS, such a crucial safety feature. I really would feel safer having it, despite the top notch lockers and reassuring handling of the F6.

I do not want to go to chromed-up Vtwin. What are my options?

I keep coming back to a full Wing. That way I could keep the motor and handling, plus the reliability, and get those anti-lock brakes that are always in the back of my mind. Not to mention cruise and some other nice features.

What stops me is...cost...still owe on the F6, and it ain't worth nothin' used...the full Wing seat is awful for a 6'1" guy...plus the full Wing is ugly, IMO. The F6 is a hot looking bike; I am always getting compliments.

I could sell/trade my F6 and get a used full Wing...perhaps a 2010, 2012 with ABS.

Perhaps I should just practice emergency braking more and wait until the NEW Wing is out, bugs worked through for a couple of years, then pull the trigger. Love the thought of having the 7 speed DCT...
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

My bet is that Honda learned a few awful lessons with the F6B, we'll see the following standard on the new F6B as a minimum...
    1) Cruise Control
    2) ABS
    3) Canadian Tool Kit
    4) Navigation
    5) Center Stand
    6) High Quality Paint with a Clear Coat

I have road bikes since 1965 without ABS.
    I am still here.
    Have I had a few catastrophise?
    You bet!
    The oncoming Vehicle and the LEFT turn scenario will change your religion RIGHT NOW !
    You will be forever prepared that one!
    After all these years I still depend on my brain to see the situations and clear them.
    (situational awareness)
    To put blinders on and depend on someone else's technology to make up for my lack of knowhow is the norm.
    I would tell you to practice braking.
    But you did not ask.
    I have helped a few people learn to ride.
    Front brake lockups should be in your practice session.
    Then rear brake.
    Once you know about what it takes, you are much better armed to deal with emergencies.
    You need to do this first at low speeds and under various conditions.
    Next, NOTHING makes up for situational awareness and a sixth sense that comes with time.

FrankenB

VStarRider,
    That is the reason I purchased a spec3 full wing converted to a F6B. The “FrankenB”
    I have ABS, cruise, adjustable windshield, heated seat, pegs, grips, GPS, reverse and so on.
    The best of both worlds, great looks AND creature comforts.
    Hopefully Mother Honda has finally figured out some people want it ALL!!!
    Just my opinion.
    Ride safe
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Radical Taz View Post
    VStarRider,
    That is the reason I purchased a spec3 full wing converted to a F6B. The “FrankenB”
    I have ABS, cruise, adjustable windshield, heated seat, pegs, grips, GPS, reverse and so on.
    The best of both worlds, great looks AND creature comforts.
    Hopefully Mother Honda has finally figured out some people want it ALL!!!
    Just my opinion.
    Ride safe
    Rod
    If some people want it all... they are going to pay the price for it.

The F6B was meant to be a slightly stripped down power cruiser; evolved from the Wing.

If you "want it all" be prepared to pay the price.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Circle-5

ABS

I'm sure many riders have put on thousands of miles without a helmet, and are doing just fine. However, the majority of us would no longer think of riding without a helmet. Many fighter pilots did some incredible flying before ejection seats were invented, yet not a single one today would ever say it isn't absolutely essential.

ABS is one of those technologies which, like the seat belt, the parachute, the helmet and the ejection seat, only comes in handy when all else has failed. It is widely considered to be one of the greatest improvements in automotive technology since it was introduced in the 1970s (in the 1990s for motorcycles). And unlike the helmet or the seat belt, it isn't physically cumbersome or restrictive. It weighs next to nothing and it's completely transparent, patiently waiting to prevent a wheel lock and save a life.

Even the most skilled rider in history isn't safe from all the drunken, texting idiots on the road. ABS is just one more well-documented safety technology that actually saves lives. Someday in the future, everybody will expect all motor vehicles to have ABS. I expect this today, but in the United States (and nowhere else), the Honda F6B doesn't have ABS, not even as an option.

To me, no ABS feels like riding without a helmet or driving without a seat belt – statistically, nothing bad is likely to happen. This time.

On the other hand, an airbag on a motorcycle is ... humm, I can't think of a non-offensive term. But the airbag on the GL-1800 is PINK. I suppose that says something right there.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    If some people want it all... they are going to pay the price for it.

The F6B was meant to be a slightly stripped down power cruiser; evolved from the Wing.

If you "want it all" be prepared to pay the price.
    You are correct on all points and I did pay a premium price which I was happy to do.
    The problem was when it was introduced it wasn’t “slightly” stripped but “Completely” stripped and by the time Honda realized that in 2015, it was too late as weak sales have proven.
    IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by thumper 549 View Post
    I have road bikes since 1965 without ABS.
    I am still here.
    Have I had a few catastrophise?
    You bet!
    The oncoming Vehicle and the LEFT turn scenario will change your religion RIGHT NOW !
    You will be forever prepared that one!
    After all these years I still depend on my brain to see the situations and clear them.
    (situational awareness)
    To put blinders on and depend on someone else's technology to make up for my lack of knowhow is the norm.
    I would tell you to practice braking.
    But you did not ask.
    I have helped a few people learn to ride.
    Front brake lockups should be in your practice session.
    Then rear brake.
    Once you know about what it takes, you are much better armed to deal with emergencies.
    You need to do this first at low speeds and under various conditions.
    Next, NOTHING makes up for situational awareness and a sixth sense that comes with time.
    When riding roads that you don't know how much friction is available, it is impossible for any and I mean ANY rider to out perform ABS. I raced Amateur for a year, I can wear out the passenger foot pegs on many bikes. I can do stop-ies all day. But on unknown roads, which most are, no damn way. AND THATS A FACT JACK!

so for that reason...

I sold my non abs bike, and I am saving for 6 months or so to put a huge down payment on a ABS F6B.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasperwing View Post
    When riding roads that you don't know how much friction is available, it is impossible for any and I mean ANY rider to out perform ABS. I raced Amateur for a year, I can wear out the passenger foot pegs on many bikes. I can do stop-ies all day. But on unknown roads, which most are, no damn way. AND THATS A FACT JACK!
    If one has not ever practised, he will never know what he has for traction or their abilities are.
    That is why people practice autorotations, engine failures , cars pulling out in front of ya-LOL
    Practice is what will tell what to do when crap is about to giveway.
    I had a car pull out in front of me -2up last summer from a blind driveway.
    On an old funky 1994 Road King!
    This was all in a turn also, leaned over pretty good., pretty harry. (my first mistake that day)
    Exp. told me when to drop off the back brake and apply even more front.
    (I felt the rear lock up)
    Without exp I would have been another statistic. Another wreck.
    To blindly rely on ABS is insane.
    If you think that is all ya need to go for a ride then this means one is miserable uninformed.
    Next-Are you saying you cannot out stop ABS with the same bike no ABS?

Most skilled riders can outdo ABS
    Do as you wish.
    I can tell and smell the ensuing argument.
    I will not take part as i have stated the facst and included one link, and a LOT more are available

http://www.superstreetbike.com/motor...ood-riders-too