Quote Originally Posted by thumper 549 View Post
If one has not ever practised, he will never know what he has for traction or their abilities are.
That is why people practice autorotations, engine failures , cars pulling out in front of ya-LOL
Practice is what will tell what to do when crap is about to giveway.
I had a car pull out in front of me -2up last summer from a blind driveway.
On an old funky 1994 Road King!
This was all in a turn also, leaned over pretty good., pretty harry. (my first mistake that day)
Exp. told me when to drop off the back brake and apply even more front.
(I felt the rear lock up)
Without exp I would have been another statistic. Another wreck.
To blindly rely on ABS is insane.
If you think that is all ya need to go for a ride then this means one is miserable uninformed.
Next-Are you saying you cannot out stop ABS with the same bike no ABS?

Most skilled riders can outdo ABS
Do as you wish.
I can tell and smell the ensuing argument.
I will not take part as i have stated the facst and included one link, and a LOT more are available

http://www.superstreetbike.com/motor...ood-riders-too
Thumper, I do not intend for this to turn into an ABS debate thread. It is true that one should not allow a technology to replace riding skills as you mentioned, such as situational awareness. Hell, I would dare say that lane positioning significantly decreases your risk as much! I can't speak for anyone else, but I do not believe that my situational awareness, lane positioning, following distance, etc. would change at all if I am on an ABS bike, thinking I can be more lackadaisical because I have ABS on my side. Hardly. However, I also know that emergency braking occurs in a high panic situation, and knowing that you can divert whatever concentration would be dedicated to keeping those wheels turning to instead evaluating and executing a maneuver, significantly increases the chance of avoidance.

Yesterday, I rode up Rt 28, starting in Forestport and doing a loop around the Fulton Chain using South Shore Rd. You probably know this area, considering your location. South Shore Rd is full of curves and has a canopy of trees covering most of it. There are many driveways. The road was wet with wet leaves in many spots. I used my riding skills considering the circumstances, but this is the kind of situation where I want ABS. Someone does not make a curve and I am in a lean, or a car pulls out and I need to make an emergency stop, my wheels would have locked early in those conditions.