Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
Thumper, I do not intend for this to turn into an ABS debate thread. It is true that one should not allow a technology to replace riding skills as you mentioned, such as situational awareness. Hell, I would dare say that lane positioning significantly decreases your risk as much! I can't speak for anyone else, but I do not believe that my situational awareness, lane positioning, following distance, etc. would change at all if I am on an ABS bike, thinking I can be more lackadaisical because I have ABS on my side. Hardly. However, I also know that emergency braking occurs in a high panic situation, and knowing that you can divert whatever concentration would be dedicated to keeping those wheels turning to instead evaluating and executing a maneuver, significantly increases the chance of avoidance.

Yesterday, I rode up Rt 28, starting in Forestport and doing a loop around the Fulton Chain using South Shore Rd. You probably know this area, considering your location. South Shore Rd is full of curves and has a canopy of trees covering most of it. There are many driveways. The road was wet with wet leaves in many spots. I used my riding skills considering the circumstances, but this is the kind of situation where I want ABS. Someone does not make a curve and I am in a lean, or a car pulls out and I need to make an emergency stop, my wheels would have locked early in those conditions.
Valid points VStarRider
In the link offered by thumper 549 it states:
“A skilled rider on a non-ABS bike can float the rear tire while still braking hardthe reason the non-ABS stopping distance numbers below were oftentimes slightly shorter than with ABS.
Make no mistake though, ABS will save you in the wet or on slick pavement no matter how skilled you think you are as attested by our test rider. Whether youre riding on the street or on the track, ABS provides a mental advantage by allowing the rider to focus on other important aspects of riding.”

And I agree this does not have to become a “Versus” thread so l’m done commenting.
Ride safe
Rod