Pardon My Ignorance!

Thread: Pardon My Ignorance!

Pardon My Ignorance!

My Yamaha FJR had Throttle by Wire. Did Honda ever upgrade their Wings to this technology?

Quote Originally Posted by K/W Motoman View Post
    My Yamaha FJR had Throttle by Wire. Did Honda ever upgrade their Wings to this technology?
    Not as yet to my knowledge...Current throttle set-up on my F6B works just fine for me and does the job....Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Not as yet to my knowledge...Current throttle set-up on my F6B works just fine for me and does the job....Ride safe
    I agree 100%. My F6B is a marvel to ride. Someone asked the question about the Throttle by Wire and I didn’t know.
    Makes me want to go out to the garage and take it for a night ride!

Nope, throttle by cable...its adjustable!
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

It's rumored that supposedly the new generation GL1800 will be throttle by wire
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Yes throttle by wire is a bit more precise but cable push/pulls work very well and is the extra cost of TBW worth it? If you have huge amounts of horsepower it is beneficial for better control of that power. TBW also works better I'm told with anti lock brakes. We have neither huge amounts of HP or anti lock brakes so the cables work fine for our needs. The new GW might be a different story.

TBW - old tech, actually...

TBW has been around for about 30 years. I believe Airbus started using an overall fly-by-wire system on their passenger airliners back in the late 80s. There's some aviation folks here that can correct that, if necessary.

I believe that Mitsubishi started using TBW on their cars in the late 80s and early 90s.

Its a long proven technology.

My two Ski Doo snowmobiles use throttle by wire. The disadvantage on sleds is that instant throttle response is a frequent requirement for moderate-to-fast riders, blipping the throttle to raise the skis over a washout in the trail, over a bump, and overall, short bursts of heavy throttle between curves...as well as instant throttle coming out of those turns to "loosen" the track and get the machine straight again.

My throttle-by-wire equipped sleds are not good at these things, but I don't ride as aggressively as I used to anyway.

Both are four-stroke engines, and the reason two-strokes still dominate 75% of the sled industry is all of the factors above.

Anyway, my sleds have three throttle modes - Eco, Normal, Sport - each has a different throttle response, and Sport has an increased idle for quicker clutch engagement. There are also "learning modes" where you can use a different colored key to limited the speed for new riders or kids.

TBW allows for less throttle resistance, since the cable and throttle plate are out of the picture, at least as it relates to the accelerator. Overall, though, I think the greatest advantage are the options that open up (no pun intended) in terms of flexibility of engine control.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Circle-5

TBW

Early test of the BMW K1600B reports a minor, yet annoying lag in the throttle-by-wire response (Moto Revue / October 11). The magazine assumes (or was told by BMW) that this lag is there to reduce lurching during gear up-shifts, which means it was intentionally programmed. That would definitely be annoying, unless it's really minor. I'll hold off on an opinion until a test ride. It sounds a bit like the engine hesitation on the F6B, which always disappears quickly after warm-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post
    Early test of the BMW K1600B reports a minor, yet annoying lag in the throttle-by-wire response (Moto Revue / October 11). The magazine assumes (or was told by BMW) that this lag is there to reduce lurching during gear up-shifts, which means it was intentionally programmed. That would definitely be annoying, unless it's really minor. I'll hold off on an opinion until a test ride. It sounds a bit like the engine hesitation on the F6B, which always disappears quickly after warm-up.
    You know in over 40k miles on my B , I have not had the cold engine hesitation or stumble. I think I got a good one or something.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"