Yamaha Transcontinental acceleration - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Transcontinental acceleration

Yamaha did not release the HP numbers, but being a low rpm air cooled twin, it probably has around 75 ponies. Divide that by its hefty 950 curb weight (I don't think that is wet weight, either) and you get a power to weight ratio of about 13.0 hp/lb....pretty similar to my wife's V6 Kia Sorento.

F6B is about 7.5-8.0 hp/lb, depending upon whether power at the wheel or the engine's output itself.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Yamaha did not release the HP numbers, but being a low rpm air cooled twin, it probably has around 75 ponies. Divide that by its hefty 950 curb weight (I don't think that is wet weight, either) and you get a power to weight ratio of about 13.0 hp/lb....pretty similar to my wife's V6 Kia Sorento.

F6B is about 7.5-8.0 hp/lb, depending upon whether power at the wheel or the engine's output itself.
    I think your numerator and denominator are backwards.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I think your numerator and denominator are backwards.
    Whoops. Boy, that would be one fast bike...
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

According to Rider magazine article it has 76.9 hp on the dyno at 4500 RPMs.

The majority of riders that buy this type of bike really do not give a "rats ass" about fast it can go in the quarter mile , etc., They want pulling power, torque at lower speeds, and decent passing power riding two-up...So most of this conversation is a "moot point"....JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    The majority of riders that buy this type of bike really do not give a "rats ass" about fast it can go in the quarter mile , etc., They want pulling power, torque at lower speeds, and decent passing power riding two-up...So most of this conversation is a "moot point"....JMHO
    you're entitled to your opinion, but I am going to have respectfully disagree. I am sure there are some who don't care, but obviously there are a lot that do as evidenced by this thread, by the magazines that do dyno and 1/4 mile runs in their tests ,and by the conversation about such things I see on Facebook and other Forums.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    you're entitled to your opinion, but I am going to have respectfully disagree. I am sure there are some who don't care, but obviously there are a lot that do as evidenced by this thread, by the magazines that do dyno and 1/4 mile runs in their tests ,and by the conversation about such things I see on Facebook and other Forums.
    +1

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

If that were true, there'd be no such thing as Screeming Eagle stage 1-4?. Victory had all types of stages 1-3?. Power commander would be out of business. Very few of the V twin riders I know have no motor mods. Seam pipes and air cleaner are the starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    If that were true, there'd be no such thing as Screeming Eagle stage 1-4?. Victory had all types of stages 1-3?. Power commander would be out of business. Very few of the V twin riders I know have no motor mods. Seam pipes and air cleaner are the starting point.

I still take exception to the above opinions in most cases...Too many of you nay-sayers are comparing "apples to oranges". Most riders that put all these Stage 1,2,3,4, kits etc. on Harley's Vics, etc., are looking for a little more power and sound and these riders are generally not riding full blown touring bikes...I,e., Honda GW's, BMW, 1600GTL's, as they make sufficient power stock form...I am pretty sure Yamaha did a very thorough research of this market with this big heavy tourer, as they have many years of experience with "hot-rod" bikes that scorch the 1/4 mile....Regards

I still take exception to the above opinions in most cases...Too many of you nay-sayers are comparing "apples to oranges". Most riders that put all these Stage 1,2,3,4, kits etc. on Harley's Vics, etc., are looking for a little more power and sound and these riders are generally not riding full blown touring bikes...I,e., Honda GW's, BMW, 1600GTL's, as they make sufficient power stock form...I am pretty sure Yamaha did a very thorough research of this market with this big heavy tourer, as they have many years of experience with "hot-rod" bikes that scorch the 1/4 mile....Regards
    +1
    2015 Matt Grey F6B Deluxe - Gloria
    2011 BMW K 1300S - Stella
    2000 Triumph Sprint ST - Trixie
    2000 Ducati Monster 900 - Monster
    1985 HD FXRS (Still in the Shop as a reminder) - Frita
    1984 HD XLX - The First