GPS
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GPS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

GPS

Just looking for GPS recommendations. I have always used my phone, but thinking I might get a dedicated GPS. I have been thinking of getting a decent car GPS and a rain proof cover for it. I've read mixed reviews on some "Motorcycle" GPS units. There are some nice features of a motorcycle GPS like being able to select curvy roads etc.. However these come at a premium and not sure the added expense is really worth it. One thing I do like on my phone is being able to select "avoid highways" for more scenic roads. Just looking for opinions. Thanks
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

GPS

I have a Garmin Zumo 665 which now outdated and can be purchased pretty reasonably. If you subscribe to XM/Sirius radio you can get weather and traffic alerts as well. I have mine hardwired into the bike but you can still pop it off when you are worried about security. Mine is six years old and has never given me any problems at all. That it is water resistant and shock resistant is a very positive feature. I also like that I can plan routes on my computer and download them into the GPS. I have downloaded multi-day trips of as long as two weeks with all the stops and it takes me directly to the front door of my motel at the end of each day.

In my opinion mine paid for itself in the first year. I recommend buying one with lifetime maps.

Good luck

Jimmy, I have the Garmin Zumo 660 and really like it. It does not give you the curvy road option but it is supposed to be waterproof. I switch it between my bike and truck all the time. Have the bike mount permanently mounted and wired. Wish I would have gotten the 665 for the XM radio but I can still listen to that through my phone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    Jimmy, I have the Garmin Zumo 660 and really like it. It does not give you the curvy road option but it is supposed to be waterproof. I switch it between my bike and truck all the time. Have the bike mount permanently mounted and wired. Wish I would have gotten the 665 for the XM radio but I can still listen to that through my phone.

Built like a tank and you can add lifetime maps as an upgrade through Garmin. Caveat....it is a little "slower" on commands than a newer one, but you can drop kick this into next week and it'll turn on and work.

It comes with both bike and car mounts in the box w/all the necessary hardware to connect.

Oh yeah... it has micro sd card capabilities and I play my mp3's through this thing. I think it has a slightly better volume range that the OEM mp3 function of the Honda. Probably just my imagination but you're the audio expert.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Sounds like the first need you have from a GPS unit is to tell you were you are rather than where to go. You look at it and you decide what road you want to take. I have a Zumo 590 and most likely the best unit you can buy but yes pricey. The select curvy roads feature is not something that is ever used. Having a map that moves with you and in front of you all the time is something you can really get used to and grow to miss without it. The biggest advantage of the upper end units is having the ability to set at your computer with Google maps etc and plan a route, picking every road, then download it into your on bike GPS which will give you turn by turns thru your bike speakers or headphones, estimated arrival, miles, average speeds, elevation, etc. Even then you are picking the roads and not letting the Garmin Lady pick them for you. Even share the route with other riders. The "for motorcycle" means it has left hand controls, water and vibration resistant, glove friendly screen and a few more things. If you don't need those and you are not wanting to build your routes in advance then a $100 car unit will work just fine. If you get one that is easy to unmount from your bike you just put it in your pocket when it rains. The higher end units also have stored music, TPMs, XM, and Bluetooth to your phone while it is in your pocket so that music as well as anything you can access from the internet like radar, phone calls and music services is available to you. Motorcycle Zumos cost from mid 300 to almost 800. I would not get anything else unless going the really low cost car type. A phone does work fine but the constant power and larger screen and no need for cell service (I think you can get around that) is worthwhile.

I have been eyeballing the Garmin Drive smart GPS units. They would require a case , which there are readily available cases with visors and can be permanently mounted.

The Zumo 590 is feature packed, but so is the price tag. I don't need features like the Sirus /XM as I have a tuner already built in with my aftermarket audio system and also have bluetooth from my phone for audio and USB etc... The Drive Smart series has Bluetooth and the ability to answer my phone etc... As I understand it,I can pre plan routes as well with the Drive Smart. I can be equipped for under $200.

My question really is more geared towards whether the other features like the "curvy" road feature and any other features really made it worth while.
    My phone has worked fairly well, but it does need a signal to originate a map when searching. This can sometimes be limiting when in remote places looking for directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I have been eyeballing the Garmin Drive smart GPS units. They would require a case , which there are readily available cases with visors and can be permanently mounted.
    Jimmy--I've also been considering the Drivesmart 61. It has a lot of interesting features but really needs to BT with your Smartphone to be fully functional. As I'm sure you know, it's not designed for vibration or weather and Garmin will not honor the warranty if they find out you ran it on a motorcycle. It also won't BT with a pair of BT ear buds or BT communicators like Sena. From what I read, it will only BT to a Smartphone. Also, on cases, I'm not aware of a case with visor for the Drivesmart but I could be mistaken on that. Some say the display is so good you don't really need a visor but I can't confirm that since I don't own one myself.
    Ken (Hornblower)

You can get a Zumo 390 for around $350 only 150 would have to be added. It is a motorcycle GPS and gives you almost every thing the 590 does but with a smaller screen. The difference between the 390/395 and 590/595 is the five indicates it has the adventure routes as in dirt roads, so not really needed on a touring bike. It is black rather than silver so looks good on the F6B and not old at all so still supported by Garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    You can get a Zumo 390 for around $350 only 150 would have to be added. It is a motorcycle GPS and gives you almost every thing the 590 does but with a smaller screen. The difference between the 390/395 and 590/595 is the five indicates it has the adventure routes as in dirt roads, so not really needed on a touring bike. It is black rather than silver so looks good on the F6B and not old at all so still supported by Garmin.
    I've looked at the 395. Think the price was close or at $500 for the 395. So more like $300 more. If I could find it for $350, I would probably consider it more. However it does only have I think a 4.3 " screen if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Jimmy--I've also been considering the Drivesmart 61. It has a lot of interesting features but really needs to BT with your Smartphone to be fully functional. As I'm sure you know, it's not designed for vibration or weather and Garmin will not honor the warranty if they find out you ran it on a motorcycle. It also won't BT with a pair of BT ear buds or BT communicators like Sena. From what I read, it will only BT to a Smartphone. Also, on cases, I'm not aware of a case with visor for the Drivesmart but I could be mistaken on that. Some say the display is so good you don't really need a visor but I can't confirm that since I don't own one myself.
    I was looking at the 51 because the case I found that I mentioned only fit 5" screens.
    Under the description it mentions being able to answer calls etc.. Short video shows incoming calls / messages coming through on the screen. No the headset ,I imagine, would be connected to the phone as usual.