GPS

Thread: GPS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I brought a refurb TOMTOM off ebay for $70 bucks. Works great, slip a sandwich bags over it with a rubber band when it rains. Somebody steals it, I'm out $70 bucks , not hundreds $$.

For what it is worth... I just ran across this site that is having a sale...

https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat...cycle-GPS.html

UPDATE

So I finally just ordered a GPS after periods of indecision. I should get it Tomorrow. This is what I settled on. Will follow up with what I think. It seemed that I could spend a lot more for the motorcycle specific GPS units, but many of the features seem to duplicate functions I already use or have. Plus, you read into the reviews and many of the reviews were not that glowing. And this after spending several hundred dollars. Many of those reviews said the older GPS units like the Garmin 550 were better. Go figure...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

I think that the cheaper non-motorcycle GPS's on the market work just fine for a motorcycle. The only flaw with them is that they are not waterproof but it is easy enough (many of us do this...) keep a sandwich baggie or two in the cubbyhole box to slide over it during inclement weather.

My Magellan that I bought for 80 dollars or so from Costco is still going strong; although the power port for it is loose inside and I frequently have to reset it these days. May be looking at another "cheapie" GPS to replace it soon.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I think that the cheaper non-motorcycle GPS's on the market work just fine for a motorcycle. The only flaw with them is that they are not waterproof but it is easy enough (many of us do this...) keep a sandwich baggie or two in the cubbyhole box to slide over it during inclement weather.

My Magellan that I bought for 80 dollars or so from Costco is still going strong; although the power port for it is loose inside and I frequently have to reset it these days. May be looking at another "cheapie" GPS to replace it soon.
    Yeah I have several friends that do the sandwich baggie thing. I elected to try this out with my purchase as I will , for the most part leave the GPS in the bike except for upgrading and or route planning.

Garmin Smart Link no longer working on Zumo 590

With the latest update to Apple OS 11.0.3, my Garmin zumo 590 no longer can use the Garmin Smart Link app on the iphone to get traffic data.

Another argument to go the cheap route: the features that are on the more expensive units won't work anyway so why pay for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    So I finally just ordered a GPS after periods of indecision. I should get it Tomorrow. This is what I settled on. Will follow up with what I think. It seemed that I could spend a lot more for the motorcycle specific GPS units, but many of the features seem to duplicate functions I already use or have. Plus, you read into the reviews and many of the reviews were not that glowing. And this after spending several hundred dollars. Many of those reviews said the older GPS units like the Garmin 550 were better. Go figure...

How is the Drive 60 working for you ? The larger screen should be more glove friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    How is the Drive 60 working for you ? The larger screen should be more glove friendly.
    Had my first real workout of the Drive 60 this last weekend with a trip to TN for an annual Veteran's Day Ride that Crazyhorse puts on. I had set up a route down and back plus a ride during the day on Saturday using Basecamp. I am very pleased and the 6" display does work pretty well with my gloved hand, even in the rain proof case I bought that it resides in on my bike. So far no complaints.

Not a very good picture and my bike is pretty dusty after the weekend ride. Rode several miles on some back gravel roads. Lot's of fun. This will give you an idea of how it is mounted in the case onto the cross bar of my Helibars. The picture angle is deceiving. I do have full view of the bike's LCD info screen if you were wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Had my first real workout of the Drive 60 this last weekend with a trip to TN for an annual Veteran's Day Ride that Crazyhorse puts on. I had set up a route down and back plus a ride during the day on Saturday using Basecamp. I am very pleased and the 6" display does work pretty well with my gloved hand, even in the rain proof case I bought that it resides in on my bike. So far no complaints.

Not a very good picture and my bike is pretty dusty after the weekend ride. Rode several miles on some back gravel roads. Lot's of fun. This will give you an idea of how it is mounted in the case onto the cross bar of my Helibars. The picture angle is deceiving. I do have full view of the bike's LCD info screen if you were wondering.

Looks good.

Do I see additional speakers in the left and right cubbies ?

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Looks good.

Do I see additional speakers in the left and right cubbies ?
    Thanks and yes. Those are Hertz HMX 6.5 S speakers in pods I fabricated.