GPS - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: GPS

Well I should have prefaced my post by saying that my dear wife knew I was thinking about getting a GPS and gave me $200 worth of Amazon gift cards for our Anniversary. So I am somewhat limiting my purchase options for what I can get on Amazon. Finding the older discontinued models is a harder task. So I am basically looking at current or fairly recent models that can be found on Amazon. I just wanted to get a sense of other's experience on whether I would really be justified in adding another $600 to buy Zumo 595 for example. I appreciate all the input.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I have been eyeballing the Garmin Drive smart GPS units. They would require a case , which there are readily available cases with visors and can be permanently mounted.
    Jimmy--I've also been considering the Drivesmart 61. It has a lot of interesting features but really needs to BT with your Smartphone to be fully functional. As I'm sure you know, it's not designed for vibration or weather and Garmin will not honor the warranty if they find out you ran it on a motorcycle. It also won't BT with a pair of BT ear buds or BT communicators like Sena. From what I read, it will only BT to a Smartphone. Also, on cases, I'm not aware of a case with visor for the Drivesmart but I could be mistaken on that. Some say the display is so good you don't really need a visor but I can't confirm that since I don't own one myself.
    Ken (Hornblower)

You can get a Zumo 390 for around $350 only 150 would have to be added. It is a motorcycle GPS and gives you almost every thing the 590 does but with a smaller screen. The difference between the 390/395 and 590/595 is the five indicates it has the adventure routes as in dirt roads, so not really needed on a touring bike. It is black rather than silver so looks good on the F6B and not old at all so still supported by Garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    You can get a Zumo 390 for around $350 only 150 would have to be added. It is a motorcycle GPS and gives you almost every thing the 590 does but with a smaller screen. The difference between the 390/395 and 590/595 is the five indicates it has the adventure routes as in dirt roads, so not really needed on a touring bike. It is black rather than silver so looks good on the F6B and not old at all so still supported by Garmin.
    I've looked at the 395. Think the price was close or at $500 for the 395. So more like $300 more. If I could find it for $350, I would probably consider it more. However it does only have I think a 4.3 " screen if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Jimmy--I've also been considering the Drivesmart 61. It has a lot of interesting features but really needs to BT with your Smartphone to be fully functional. As I'm sure you know, it's not designed for vibration or weather and Garmin will not honor the warranty if they find out you ran it on a motorcycle. It also won't BT with a pair of BT ear buds or BT communicators like Sena. From what I read, it will only BT to a Smartphone. Also, on cases, I'm not aware of a case with visor for the Drivesmart but I could be mistaken on that. Some say the display is so good you don't really need a visor but I can't confirm that since I don't own one myself.
    I was looking at the 51 because the case I found that I mentioned only fit 5" screens.
    Under the description it mentions being able to answer calls etc.. Short video shows incoming calls / messages coming through on the screen. No the headset ,I imagine, would be connected to the phone as usual.

Oh I'm sorry the one I was looking at on Amazon was a 390 for $350 but it was refurbished. Used ones can be found sometimes, I purchased my 590 two years ago used and a bargain. I consider it the best addition I have on the bike.

Zumo 395LM

Every few months it seems that Garmin lowers the price on the 395LM to $399. At Wingstuff, Amazon, on the Garmin site, etc. Next time I plan to grab a 395. One of my winter projects/expenses. Run a 550 now and for the past 12 years or so. It does great but I want the 395 and will pick up the tire pressure sensors also.
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

Just curious but why don't y'all just youse an app on a phone? I have had a 550 and a 660 and yes they are nice but for the price I think I will use my phone GPS.

I keep my phone in the pocket of my riding pants. If the bike and I get separated in an accident, I want the phone accessible. Also, I don't have a large data plan, plus some of the remote areas in the western US don't have cell phone service. And, I like building rides in advance and loading them to the GPS before I make a trip, that way I can include all of the great, out-of-the-way roads that I want to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
    Just curious but why don't y'all just youse an app on a phone? I have had a 550 and a 660 and yes they are nice but for the price I think I will use my phone GPS.
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
    I have used my phone. It works pretty well as long as I have a signal. My phone is a Note 4 that is supplied by my employer plus I don't pay for it or the data.

I just finally thought I might use a dedicated GPS that isn't reliant on a phone signal when I need to set up directions/navigation. Most of the time this isn't a big issue, but when it is, it's frustrating.