GPS - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: GPS

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    Am I the only cheap guy here? I just have a Gamin Nuvi 2557LMT with a RAM mount. The entire setup costs well below $200. The unit has live traffic, a bright screen, works great with gloves, and doesn't mind the rain. The RAM Mounts are the best made. For the price it's hard to beat.
    Count me amongst the "frugal."
    I've got a Garmin 1490 LMT w/RAM mount on the center cubby lid.

No issues, no worries. It's a backup to my map studies.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I brought a refurb TOMTOM off ebay for $70 bucks. Works great, slip a sandwich bags over it with a rubber band when it rains. Somebody steals it, I'm out $70 bucks , not hundreds $$.

For what it is worth... I just ran across this site that is having a sale...

https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat...cycle-GPS.html

UPDATE

So I finally just ordered a GPS after periods of indecision. I should get it Tomorrow. This is what I settled on. Will follow up with what I think. It seemed that I could spend a lot more for the motorcycle specific GPS units, but many of the features seem to duplicate functions I already use or have. Plus, you read into the reviews and many of the reviews were not that glowing. And this after spending several hundred dollars. Many of those reviews said the older GPS units like the Garmin 550 were better. Go figure...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

I think that the cheaper non-motorcycle GPS's on the market work just fine for a motorcycle. The only flaw with them is that they are not waterproof but it is easy enough (many of us do this...) keep a sandwich baggie or two in the cubbyhole box to slide over it during inclement weather.

My Magellan that I bought for 80 dollars or so from Costco is still going strong; although the power port for it is loose inside and I frequently have to reset it these days. May be looking at another "cheapie" GPS to replace it soon.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I think that the cheaper non-motorcycle GPS's on the market work just fine for a motorcycle. The only flaw with them is that they are not waterproof but it is easy enough (many of us do this...) keep a sandwich baggie or two in the cubbyhole box to slide over it during inclement weather.

My Magellan that I bought for 80 dollars or so from Costco is still going strong; although the power port for it is loose inside and I frequently have to reset it these days. May be looking at another "cheapie" GPS to replace it soon.
    Yeah I have several friends that do the sandwich baggie thing. I elected to try this out with my purchase as I will , for the most part leave the GPS in the bike except for upgrading and or route planning.

"Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Garmin Smart Link no longer working on Zumo 590

With the latest update to Apple OS 11.0.3, my Garmin zumo 590 no longer can use the Garmin Smart Link app on the iphone to get traffic data.

Another argument to go the cheap route: the features that are on the more expensive units won't work anyway so why pay for them?

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Jimmy, I have some NEW (still in the factory sealed plastic envelopes) parts from Ram Mounts if you need them.

RAM-B-347U
    RAM-B-201U-A
    RAM-B-309-7U

And a dash quick release mount (which I believe works with a Zumo 660 without harness) Cord and dash circular plate still in bag included.

Pay for shipping $10 and it's all yours

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Do these cheaper non motorcycle gps have Bluetooth to use with a sena? I haven't seen one that did but haven't looked hard either. If not, how,do you hear it while riding?

Quote Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
    Do these cheaper non motorcycle gps have Bluetooth to use with a sena? I haven't seen one that did but haven't looked hard either. If not, how,do you hear it while riding?
    I don't listen to mine. I just use it as a visual.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537