MP3 rack questions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP3 rack questions.

MP3 rack questions.

Can someone that has an MP3 rack answer a few questions for me? Is the rack aluminum or steel? Can you post a picture of what the underside looks like? I am building my own and I am trying to decide if I need supports under it like the Honda has. And lastly, what's the dimension from front to back in the center of the rack? These things are hard to come by and it's easier just to make my own.

Thanks in advance,
    Jeremy

What happened to "no hurries?" lol....

Aluminium.

Dimensional pics:

Quote Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
    Can someone that has an MP3 rack answer a few questions for me? Is the rack aluminum or steel? Can you post a picture of what the underside looks like? I am building my own and I am trying to decide if I need supports under it like the Honda has. And lastly, what's the dimension from front to back in the center of the rack? These things are hard to come by and it's easier just to make my own.

Thanks in advance,
    Jeremy
    53Driver answered all the tech stuff...He may be able to attach the link to another provider who was making a similar rack to the MP3. Just another option for you to consider. I know I saw it here not to long ago.

That link was probably my Dale rack that I bought from Dale up in Washington state. I didn't make that one. I can post photos again if needed. Just let me know. Several commented that they thought the Dale rack was rather FUGLY, but function is what I was after to add a GIVI trunk. Not sure that the MP3 rack would allow that trunk to be mounted.......Again, post if you would like photos of the Dale rack.

Av8er may like to see it as mounting a bag was his intent I believe.

Here you go............

This has the Adventure MOTO rack on the Dale rack. The AdvMOTO is made for the GIVI Monokey. The rest are just the Dale rack...all aluminum and powder coated black with all hardware included. This one is FLAT. I'm assuming that it would take just about any trunk out there. I have not ever seen the MP3 rack but the flared up rear on it might be an issue for mounting a trunk, but that's just a guess.

Circle-5
    Nice rack! Somehow, this made me think of Carol Doda (Google if necessary).

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    What happened to "no hurries?" lol....

Aluminium.
    I know, I know, I am impatient. LOL, I was actually going to go back to my job this morning to finish up drawing this thing out and didn't want to bother you with any more questions. Besides, I knew you would see this!!!!

I am not going to have this thing ready by the time I leave for my trip but I have already modded my Honda rack to work. The bad news is, it's expensive as hell to have just one of these cut on a water jet. I have to get 20 cut to get down to a reasonable price. That being said, I may have a few extras if anyone needs one. I think the design is going to look really good on the bike. I am still torn between powder coat and painting though. Powder coat is more durable but painting is easier to touch up.

After looking at the dimensions you give, it looks like I was spot on for how mine is designed out. My width was about an inch narrower but other than that I was good.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Didn't happen to catch that thickness did you? Sorry!!!!

I was looking at 3/16 steel for rigidity but running the weight on it, it would be about 5 lbs. the oem rack is heavy as hell as well.

Is there much flexing in the rack with it being aluminum?