New 2018 GOLDWING

Thread: New 2018 GOLDWING

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleh View Post
    So, on the DCT models you still have to switch the gears somewhere from the left hand control? I'm asking this because I see a DCT foot shifter (599.95) offered under *Accessories* on the Powersport Honda site? I was under the impression there was no shifting involved at all. I figured you just twisted the throttle and she goes like an automatic trans in a car?

Also, on the DCT model Goldwing I see it comes with *walking/reverse* but the manual doesn't which make no sense too me. Anyway, I guess *walking* assists you while walking the bike forward?

I've already contacted my dealer where I purchased my '16 this past April and they'll be notifying me when it arrives so I could check it out. I must say that I'm intrigued, and will most probably jump on the Matte Majestic Silver!
    No need to shift AT ALL on the DCT. HOWEVER, if you do desire to shift it anyway, there are small levers/buttons on the left grip that let you shift up/down as you want. And you can get a shift kit for your foot if you'd like to use that as well. But it is entirely optional! I have a CTX700 and many days cruising through LA I don't manually shift at all. Up in the mountains, however, I shift quite a bit to make sure I'm in the gear I want for the upcoming corner.

Quote Originally Posted by ShanghaiDan View Post
    No need to shift AT ALL on the DCT. HOWEVER, if you do desire to shift it anyway, there are small levers/buttons on the left grip that let you shift up/down as you want. And you can get a shift kit for your foot if you'd like to use that as well. But it is entirely optional! I have a CTX700 and many days cruising through LA I don't manually shift at all. Up in the mountains, however, I shift quite a bit to make sure I'm in the gear I want for the upcoming corner.
    Thank you very much, I appreciate the explanation of the DTC.

When first starting out with DTC do you need to shift down with the lever/button on the left handgrip to 1st gear in order for the trans to engage, or just twist the throttle? In other words, is there a neutral?

I just found this article on how the DCT works right before your post, but it doesn't answer my question above. Being you have hands on experience with DCT, I figured I'd ask.

Thank you very much,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by doubleh View Post
    Thank you very much, I appreciate the explanation of the DTC.

When first starting out with DTC do you need to shift down with the lever/button on the left handgrip to 1st gear in order for the trans to engage, or just twist the throttle? In other words, is there a neutral?

I just found this article on how the DCT works right before your post, but it doesn't answer my question above. Being you have hands on experience with DCT, I figured I'd ask.

Thank you very much,
    Joe
    Nope. Just flick the switch to drive (or sport) from Neutral and you're good to go! Just like shifting a car from park or neutral into drive. Then it is totally automatic. Flick back to neutral before turning the bike off - just like putting a car into park. That's all you need! The DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) takes care of everything else for you.