Who's BUYING the new 2018 Goldwing?

Thread: Who's BUYING the new 2018 Goldwing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    I'm thinkin' the base Goldwing with the DCT. Besides getting stuck in traffic and not needing to clutch, I think it will be real nice on the highway in the extra-over-drive gear that will downshift instantly when needed. Never needed to downshift with the 5-speed, and I get lazy on the road.
    How does a DCT engine brake in the mountain twisties ?

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    I know almost nothing, but I would think just like our bikes do now. It's not really an automatic driven by fluid friction. It uses a solid clutch connection.

With that said, I have no idea how you start from 0 without some sort of slippage. This is a learning curve for me. Look forward to trying one out.

Let me add: I believe that I read that you may want to pick the manual mode while in the mountains and pick/paddle your gear of choice.
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    I know almost nothing, but I would think just like our bikes do now. It's not really an automatic driven by fluid friction. It uses a solid clutch connection.

With that said, I have no idea how you start from 0 without some sort of slippage. This is a learning curve for me. Look forward to trying one out.

Let me add: I believe that I read that you may want to pick the manual mode while in the mountains and pick/paddle your gear of choice.
    I thought you didn't have to shift like in a car with an automatic transmission. When you go downhill in a car, the only way to engine brake is by manually downshifting, else you keep gaining speed depending on the grade.

Im gonna use this opportunity to get a cheap F6b

I thought you didn't have to shift like in a car with an automatic transmission. When you go downhill in a car, the only way to engine brake is by manually downshifting, else you keep gaining speed depending on the grade.
    That depends on the setup in question. I had a Hyundai Velostar, or whatever that POS was, for a rental and if you weren't actually on the gas it would engine brake. That car did not coast for s%$t, and several newer cars have an engine brake setting on the gear selector.

The standard Goldwing with DCT is not available here in Canada. Only available on the "Tour" models. Otherwise I might be tempted.
    2013 F6B in black of course

That's brutal and will hopefully change in a year or two following the outcry! Small market/population Canada gets screwed -- guess Honda Canada figured they'd bring one base model in rather than having two models and stock unsold. Oh well, at least we had ABS on our F6Bs when our friends down south didn't. Just our turn to feel some pain this time around I suppose.

Circle-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    Oh well, at least we had ABS on our F6Bs when our friends down south didn't.
    Yes, you certainly did. I am reminded of this pro-Canadian favoritism every day! As for the 2018s, I think many buyers will go for the full Wing (The "Tour") anyway and remove the top case to make it a bagger. I costs about the same as doing it in reverse (buying the standard model and adding the top case and all the stuff that needs to go with it, center stand etc.). Plus the Tour gives you extra electronic ride features you don't get on the basic.

Of course, there's that pesky detail of coming up with about $30,000, but I'm told that everyone on the F6B Riders forum is super-smart and independently wealthy, so that should not be an obstacle.

Quote Originally Posted by DaWadd View Post
    The standard Goldwing with DCT is not available here in Canada. Only available on the "Tour" models. Otherwise I might be tempted.
    A local dealer here in Vancouver is offering the DCT option on the Goldwing in their Craigslist ad. May just be a misprint.

Very well, until your revs fall below ~1200 RPM the bike is always in gear. Downshift with a flick of a thumb and you're engine braking as well as you would with a manual! The DCT is NOT an automatic with a torque converter - it is a pair of honest-to-god clutches, one on each spindle of gears. Half your gears on one spindle, the other half on the other spindle. The computer (in auto mode) determines when to shift up or down. It will engage the clutch, shift the appropriate spindle, then release the clutch all in about 50 milliseconds. And it holds going downhill REALLY well, as it senses the load on the engine and will NOT upshift unless you near redline.

The ONLY difference (other than not needed to squeeze a clutch and twiddle your foot) with a manual is feathering a clutch at low speeds. However, dragging your rear brake does about 99% of the same thing, and after an hour with a DCT doing really slow-speed stuff - I had no problems at all and felt I lost nothing compared to a manual bike. Other than the need to squeeze the clutch lever 200 times a block in thick downtown LA traffic...