The "Scrape Club" - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The "Scrape Club"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post

I would love to have to go through one of Keith Codes classes.

I've at least watched the Twist of the Wrist videos.

I do practice the fundamentals every time I ride. Been doing so for years.

I understand what you are saying and agree to a point. However, as stated before, these bikes run out of cornering clearance pretty quickly . Yes all the factors that go into piloting a motorcycle properly though corners help in doing so safer and will improve your speed through corners before "scraping". But you are going to scrape at some point if your speed is fast enough. I don't care who you are or how much "English " you throw at the bike. You could argue that at that point you are going too fast. Well that might be more of an effective argument. I'll leave that to one's personal discretion. I always tell people "Ride Your Own Ride"
    Very well Jimmytee, I think it goes without saying that there is a speed at which the B will inevitably run out of clearance, nonetheless I agree. I've found that most riders can't out ride the capabilities of their machines (myself included). Sometimes we just cant get out of our own way I suppose but you are clearly the exception and I would jump at the opportunity to learn from you . Have fun be safe and ride your ride, Im sure Kuryakyn wont mind
    2015 Blue F6B Deluxe, Mods: Bagger shield, Heli Bars, Garmin ZUMO, Beverage Butler, LED HIs/Lows, Pathfinder Switchbacks, Smoked Lenses. Kury Ergo IIIs, Iso foot rests, Transformer Passenger floor boards, Reflector replacement Lights, Trailer Isolation harness, Iso Grips, Smart Mount Backrest, Luggage rack, Homemade Lightning Strike, TBR Exhaust, ADD ON Hitch, Healtech Brake flasher, J&M upgraded speakers. K&N Air filter, LED Accent lights, Custom flag bar, Tritium Led Fog lights, Air Wings...

I have scraped pegs few times, sometimes going harder than I thought and couple when going faster in poorly planned corner every time been delighted that this bike handles adjustments very forgiving easy and certainly will do more than I feel like riding it

Quote Originally Posted by InvictusF6B View Post
    Very well Jimmytee, I think it goes without saying that there is a speed at which the B will inevitably run out of clearance, nonetheless I agree. I've found that most riders can't out ride the capabilities of their machines (myself included). Sometimes we just cant get out of our own way I suppose but you are clearly the exception and I would jump at the opportunity to learn from you . Have fun be safe and ride your ride, Im sure Kuryakyn wont mind
    There is no need to get snarky.

I also didn't claim to be the " be all there is" rider with no room for improvement. I think I was clear that I would love to be able to do one of the Keith Code's schools and there was no sarcasm meant in that.

In contrary , you made it quite clear your "qualifications" to offer your opinion. To which I didn't respond with the sarcasm you did. But that's ok.

That being said, I also told you I agreed with much of what you stated. So I am a bit confused by the attitude in your response.

I just happen to disagree with your inference that if one is scraping, they aren't doing something right.

I'm sorry, but everyone knows one of these bike's limitations is cornering clearance and ALL I did was point that out.

My tires tell the story, worn bald to the edges with tread in the center. It's not bragging, just the truth. I'm not exceptional. I just practice and enjoy spirited riding. Hope we can share some wind some day. I would love to make the rally in Colorado next year but don't know if it's possible yet.

"Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

... I would love to make the rally in Colorado next year but don't know if it's possible yet.
    And most of us would sure like to see you out in Colorado for the rally, or if you can’t make it, then sometime in the future.

Back to this thread. In my younger years the “chicken strips” pretty much did not exist on my tires. But now my riding is much less spirited. Now when I ride many of the great roads in Colorado I notice that I see much more scenery that I didn’t even know existed. You really see much more at a more leisurely pace. Glad I’ve been able to do both.

Different days...Different times...Different riding!

Quote Originally Posted by F6Bster View Post
    And most of us would sure like to see you out in Colorado for the rally, or if you can’t make it, then sometime in the future.

Back to this thread. In my younger years the “chicken strips” pretty much did not exist on my tires. But now my riding is much less spirited. Now when I ride many of the great roads in Colorado I notice that I see much more scenery that I didn’t even know existed. You really see much more at a more leisurely pace. Glad I’ve been able to do both.

Different days...Different times...Different riding!
    +1 on this one. I have realized that I am not as fast(reflexes) eye are no longer what they were,so I accommodate by slowing down a bit. Still happy that I can ride and remember when but dont often tell how things used to be.To the 'youngsters' out there they are just 'ol man stories' Many great memories though. ..and riding around Colorado there is much beauty to see that is missed with the tunnel vision of speed.
    I've had my fun.
    ENJOY !!!

Probably been said but I added drop floor boards to my B which helped comfort value but added a scrape alert that goes off in the slightest of corners.
    I'm aggressive by nature so -
    Maybe they keep me in check?
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by VaBob View Post
    Was a legend? Did something happen to him or is there someone better?

Last I know he crashed on the Dragon. He is recovered and not riding anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericb445 View Post
    Last I know he crashed on the Dragon. He is recovered and not riding anymore.
    Play with the fire and you will eventually get burned

That guy could certainly ride. Not sure why he crashed... the one variable that none of us can control on the dragon is oncoming traffic.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

He was doing a early morning run when he crashed. From what was sead he hit sand that he didn’t see in the shadows of a turn and washed out the front tire. Ride the edge, sooner or later you will fall off.

These bikes run out of cornering clearance fast. They are really easy to scrape pegs. Good riding technique can reduce scraping. The suspension upgrades I did have improved things, but ride in the twisties hard enough and these bikes start grinding hard parts.

Hoping that when the time comes and I am ready to upgrade to a new Wing that the new ones have more clearance.

I would have to agree with what you are saying. My bike has its limits and when those limits are exceeded then parts will start hitting the pavement. Good techniques can and will give a rider more, but even that can be exceeded. Sometimes the right wrist can get carried away.
    Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014 Goldwing
    Pirellie SnowControl Serie 3 Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Pirelli Centurato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Full Traxxion
    Darkside #623 - 221,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
    IBA # 42128