Larger Luggage Rack Prototype-Need Input Please

Thread: Larger Luggage Rack Prototype-Need Input Please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuzard13 View Post
    Hello all! I'm new to the forum, wanted to say hey and get some input into the luggage rack that I'm making for myself. I do CAD modeling and have manufacturing hookups, so I figured why not make some parts for my bike that are functional and look cool (to me) as well. I took off the laughable little OEM Rack and played some clear contact paper on the back of the bike and traced the line of the back and saddle bag sections, then scanned it in and drew the rack up in CAD. Tried to keep the same styling of the OEM guy, just wanted more lash points and a bigger, beefier(more manly) rack. Just got the first iteration of my luggage rack cut and mounted. Haven't welded up the side brackets yet, but so far so good. I made it out of 3/16" steel and it weighs in at 6.6 lbs haha. Dont think this bike is going to mind the extra weight though. Seems very rigid and should work well. I read somewhere that Honda states only 6lbs rating on the OEM. I assume thats for liability reasons though as it seems like the mount points could hold 20 or so no problem.

One thing I wanted to kick my own ass for was being so excited to get it done that I didn't lay the stock seat on top and make the lines flow with the seat mount DOH! Oh well, changes are easy enough to make, though a little costly Also, was thinking about putting some smaller lash ribs (like the sides) on the front of the rack as well.

So in the interest of saving myself some loot, I was just looking for some input on any changes that I might need to consider when having a go at the second round. Aesthetics, functionality, weights you have had on the back with no issues, etc. Thanks for your input, glad to be part of the F6B family, its become my new favorite bike! Ps-first time posting here, so hope the pics come through properly.
    That looks great!

Just what I am looking for as well!
    If you ever go into production count me in.
    I need the rack to work with the OEM Honda brackets which I already have.

Mark

Looks nice, I jumped on the Dale's rack as I thought it would take too much time to get the design done and written to a DXF file to cut. (I am lazy)
    3/16 steel should be strong enough compared to a 3/16 aluminum as used in the Dale's rack. It has been said a Dales will support in the area of 40 lbs.
    On a different note, water jet is the cleanest cutting method but my plasma table with the correct tweaking does pretty nice also.

I am gonna set my rack with a tour pack for the misses, so the fugly won't hurt too bad
    2015 Matt Grey F6B Deluxe - Gloria
    2011 BMW K 1300S - Stella
    2000 Triumph Sprint ST - Trixie
    2000 Ducati Monster 900 - Monster
    1985 HD FXRS (Still in the Shop as a reminder) - Frita
    1984 HD XLX - The First

This rack looks awesome! I like the idea of a flag mount but even if not, this is way better than the Honda one. I would order one from you (hint).