Quote Originally Posted by Wuzard13 View Post
Very cool! I did the same thing with the layout paper haha. Yea, I don't think its something that you could make a good profit on after manufacturing and labor are factored in. I suppose you could have it made in China like everyone else I just wanted something for myself and love to model/design, so why not make my bike how I want it right?

I had it water jetted. Will powder coat the final version of course, but no sense in it until I am happy with the design. Lasering has come a long way, I have seen parts cut out of steel that look like a level 3 cut on a WJ, for a fraction of the cost. Might want to check into it if you are wanting to produce them en masse. Im sure they have samples of the cut edge. Realistically, I want to chamfer all the edges. My friend has a 5 axis WJ and can do it, but that would be three times as much due to time involved. Maybe on the final version?

I also want to make an extender to move the pillion backrest closer to the driver. My lady says she thinks there is too much room if she sits all the way back, and slides forward too much if I come in a bit hot and have to stop harder. So might mess with that and raise the backrest up at the same time so its more comfortable for her.

Would like to see some pics of your rack if you feel like sharing, if not I understand. Thanks for the input on the screws! I was going to recess them possibly like the OEM, but then couldn't think of a reason to do so, until now
I will share at some point but not until I decide if I want to try to sale them or not. I did the same thing with tie down points around the perimeter. I didn’t want to bother with the tits under it like the MP3.

Edit: I just ordered my material on Thursday to take to a local cutter to cut mine. Material was $60 after shipping and cutting it is gonna be $150 plus welding etc. I am gonna have about $300 in his damn rack by the time I get done. I wish I had known you were working on th same and we could have worked together on the design and I could have paid you to have me one cut as well.
Hopefully I will have mine cut in the next few weeks. I think everyone would like it! If I could get my cut cost down to $50 each it would be worth my time to produce a few. At $105 each, it’s not worth it.