Front Brake pads

Thread: Front Brake pads

Front Brake pads

I have a 2015 F6b Deluxe. I bought it new in Dec of 2015, so it is 2 years old next month and I have just turned 14.000 miles on it. But here is the problem, I have to replace my front brake pads for the third time? I replaced the original pads at 8500 with new Honda pads front and rear, although the rear was not too bad I replaced them anyway, now 6.000 miles later they are down to the metal again? I am reading on here that guys are getting way more miles than me, any idea why my fronts are wearing so fast? I use bike every day for work, but I am 70 years old and not a flyer, and I downshift too to save the brakes, but still got heave wear. ??

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imscots View Post
    I have a 2015 F6b Deluxe. I bought it new in Dec of 2015, so it is 2 years old next month and I have just turned 14.000 miles on it. But here is the problem, I have to replace my front brake pads for the third time? I replaced the original pads at 8500 with new Honda pads front and rear, although the rear was not too bad I replaced them anyway, now 6.000 miles later they are down to the metal again? I am reading on here that guys are getting way more miles than me, any idea why my fronts are wearing so fast? I use bike every day for work, but I am 70 years old and not a flyer, and I downshift too to save the brakes, but still got heave wear. ??
    This is NOT normal, many of us get 20,000 - 35,000 miles from OEM pads.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    This is NOT normal, many of us get 20,000 - 35,000 miles from OEM pads.
    Yeah , that is far from normal. I get more than 20 k on mine and I use them hard when riding spirited.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by imscots View Post
    Very strange. Do you notice any discoloration of the rotors?

Brake pad wear

That would be my question as another member had asked about. Any drag when the brake isn't applied? Put the bike on the centerstand and have someone hold the back tire to the ground...how does the front turn, freely?

Brakes sometimes can wear quickly by always applying them at the last minute with more of a squeeze on the brake lever. It's heat and friction that allow the pad to grip, so if that is your riding style of clamping on them a little later in the braking zone, that may explain a little more wear.

Brake Recall Related?

Is it possible that a dealer caused a problem when performing the brake recall? I think that secondary master cylinder gets replaced.

You are describing very fast brake wear. If riding style is the cause, you'd also go through tires quickly, so how many miles are you getting out of your tires ???

32,000 miles, still original pads, and they are good, just changed the tire.
    Take the bike for a ride without much brake use then feel the rotors.

Is your front brake fluid reservoir overfilled? If it is, that fluid can expand when warm... and it will have nowhere to go except to the pistons; thus making your brakes drag.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Overfilling

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Is your front brake fluid reservoir overfilled? If it is, that fluid can expand when warm... and it will have nowhere to go except to the pistons; thus making your brakes drag.
    The fluid level is definitely worth checking, and it could have been overfilled when all the fluid was changed during the brake recall. It wouldn't be the first time a dealer caused a problem while performing the recall.