The New Yamaha Star Eluder - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The New Yamaha Star Eluder

Quote Originally Posted by broncsrule21 View Post
    Just curious... What qualities are you looking for in a "full tourer" that your B doesn't/can't provide? Again, just curious because there are a lot of people that add a giant windshield and a trunk solution then put many, many miles.
    This was not a question for me, but I will answer it. Mainly, ABS and cruise. Cruise can be added, but not anti-lock brakes.

That will be the one thing that possibly sends the F6B down the road, but I can't see letting go of the flat-6...so I will probably get the new Wing in a couple of years.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

If ya want an old style caveman V twin, why not to buy a Harley?
    At least not will hold its value .....LOL WHOooooops
    Never mind.
    In all seriousness, it looks just like any old Harley I have ever owned.
    Or just like my Road King.
    Whats the point? (Of another V Twin?)

Quote Originally Posted by thumper 549 View Post
    If ya want an old style caveman V twin, why not to buy a Harley?.........Whats the point? (Of another V Twin?)
    That's exactly what I thought, "What's the point?"
    Wonder if they thought about using the V-Max power plant before going with the V-Twin??
    A V-4 tweaked for a "Trancontinental" role seems like a no brainer.
    Time will tell, but I'm hesitant to think they will take much from the H-D market.

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    That's exactly what I thought, "What's the point?"
    Wonder if they thought about using the V-Max power plant before going with the V-Twin??
    A V-4 tweaked for a "Trancontinental" role seems like a no brainer.
    Time will tell, but I'm hesitant to think they will take much from the H-D market.
    Yamaha said that their market research indicated an air-cooled Vtwin was a must for the cruiser-touring market. They also said that the Vtwin allowed them to sit the engine lower in the chassis than a V4.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Interesting - it used the Yamaha air cooled twin. I had a Yamaha Road Star - also air cooled - great bike and even though it was lighter then the F6B it felt heavier and didn't handle as well. I wonder how this new one feels.

I will wait for the new 2018 F6b....

After owning sixteen different bikes over the last sixty some years, I will not pay money for an air-cooled/air/oil cooled road bike.....I might consider owning one if it was given to me

as a gift...with no money involved.....The F6B I own now is, without exception, the most mechanically sound and best handling bike, for its size and weight, that I have ever owned...

I am looking forward to the coming October release of the new 2018 Goldwing/F6B models from Honda.......

Quote Originally Posted by sshake1905 View Post
    After owning sixteen different bikes over the last sixty some years, I will not pay money for an air-cooled/air/oil cooled road bike.....I might consider owning one if it was given to me

as a gift...with no money involved.....The F6B I own now is, without exception, the most mechanically sound and best handling bike, for its size and weight, that I have ever owned...

I am looking forward to the coming October release of the new 2018 Goldwing/F6B models from Honda.......
    I hear ya. That a lot of money for a pretty simple engine design. Isn't that where all the R & D is supposed to go? My Craftsman garden tractor has the same type of engine.

Been watching some YouTube videos of people who have ridden the new TC and the bike is downright gorgeous and looks like top build quality...though we know that is par for the course for Honda and Yamaha.

What I have noticed in the ride videos is that the TC does not seem to have a lot of "get up and go". I am watching one guy right now who is rolling hard on the throttle and it seems to accelerate similarly to my old VStar 1100...which was a slow bike.

I am not sure how big of a deal this is, as I'll take torque over horsepower any day...but...I keep going back to my ride to work where I often end up behind a garbage truck or some other utility truck and I need to rocket past them in the limited areas I have available to pass on my commute. Flat-six Honda? Noooooo problem. This 1800 Yamaha, however, may be too much of a piggy even for a rider like me who scrapes a peg about once every two years.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar

With the NEW 2018 Goldwing .... Not sure how well this 2018 Yamaha will sell (prices are supposedly comparable with a new Harley Davidson)

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

With the NEW 2018 Goldwing .... Not sure how well this 2018 Yamaha will sell (prices are supposedly comparable with a new Harley Davidson)
    ...especially when it is getting beat by Corollas and Sentras from stoplights...
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I took a demo ride on the Eluder and Venture, and was unimpressed with the performance, which I thought was anemic. The motor is quiet and smooth at idle/cruise but it's got a thumpity thump on acceleration which just stands out and doesn't seem to fit. Also, I was disappointed by the quality of the plastic parts. The bag lids were hard to open up (with the button) and they did not seem well seated or sealed in the closed position. I will try to attach some pictures