Replacing OEM Heated Grip

Thread: Replacing OEM Heated Grip

Replacing OEM Heated Grip

I recently had the misfortune of having the end of my left hand grip damaged along with a few other parts while a friend of mine was riding my 2015 F6. (Thank God he wasn't hurt. But that is another story.) The OEM heated grips are a PITA to get off in the first place, but after managing to get everything apart (primarily to figure out how all of those parts that make up the "handlebar weights" go back together) I discovered that the wire for the heated grip follows the handlebar down pass the triple clamp where is disappears into the abyss of wiring and plastic that covers the bike. The service manual says that in order to get access to the connector you have to remove the right side radiator and everything else that goes with it. (are you kidding me?) My question is... does anyone have any tricks that will allow you to get to this connector without taking apart the entire motorcycle? (Yes I know that I could just cut the old wire and splice the new wire into it. But I just don't like the thought of cutting the wire off of a brand new $120 grip in order to cobble it back together) Thoughts?

I'd splice, lap solder, and double sleeve it. It's good enough for NASA it should work on a scooter.

I posted the Honda .PDF of the install instructions. May no longer be available, if you need it, pm me with an email, and I'll send it. Don't cut anything, replacement is simple.
    Just have to remove a few items.
    I can walk you through it.

Check this first, pretty easy to follow: http://wingstuff.com/system/uploads/...pdf?1437763313

The link that F6B1911 posted provides great instructions on proper routing of your electrical lead.

If the old grips still heat, you should be able to turn them on, allow the contact cement to that holds the grip to the bar to warn, and tug and pull to get the grip off. If the grip is not being replaced, it should not be done this way because it can damage the old grip. But in your case, it's being replaced anyway. If the old grip will not heat, have fun

FYI ... new grips have a new feel and sharpness to the rubber and your hands will feel the difference from side to side ... so order a new set or just the one accordingly. You will also need a small tube of Honda Handgrip cement, and Isopropyl alcohol to clean off the old cement (local drug store).

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    I posted the Honda .PDF of the install instructions. May no longer be available, if you need it, pm me with an email, and I'll send it. Don't cut anything, replacement is simple.
    Just have to remove a few items.
    I can walk you through it.

Check this first, pretty easy to follow: http://wingstuff.com/system/uploads/...pdf?1437763313
    This PDF is great. THANK YOU!!! (I wish the service manual was this detailed)

I installed the OEM on my bike and it was not that bad. No radiator removal for sure!!!
    stevenolts