Thinking full Wing...due to ABS - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking full Wing...due to ABS

Quote Originally Posted by thumper 549 View Post
    If one has not ever practised, he will never know what he has for traction or their abilities are.
    That is why people practice autorotations, engine failures , cars pulling out in front of ya-LOL
    Practice is what will tell what to do when crap is about to giveway.
    I had a car pull out in front of me -2up last summer from a blind driveway.
    On an old funky 1994 Road King!
    This was all in a turn also, leaned over pretty good., pretty harry. (my first mistake that day)
    Exp. told me when to drop off the back brake and apply even more front.
    (I felt the rear lock up)
    Without exp I would have been another statistic. Another wreck.
    To blindly rely on ABS is insane.
    If you think that is all ya need to go for a ride then this means one is miserable uninformed.
    Next-Are you saying you cannot out stop ABS with the same bike no ABS?

Most skilled riders can outdo ABS
    Do as you wish.
    I can tell and smell the ensuing argument.
    I will not take part as i have stated the facst and included one link, and a LOT more are available

http://www.superstreetbike.com/motor...ood-riders-too
    Thumper, I do not intend for this to turn into an ABS debate thread. It is true that one should not allow a technology to replace riding skills as you mentioned, such as situational awareness. Hell, I would dare say that lane positioning significantly decreases your risk as much! I can't speak for anyone else, but I do not believe that my situational awareness, lane positioning, following distance, etc. would change at all if I am on an ABS bike, thinking I can be more lackadaisical because I have ABS on my side. Hardly. However, I also know that emergency braking occurs in a high panic situation, and knowing that you can divert whatever concentration would be dedicated to keeping those wheels turning to instead evaluating and executing a maneuver, significantly increases the chance of avoidance.

Yesterday, I rode up Rt 28, starting in Forestport and doing a loop around the Fulton Chain using South Shore Rd. You probably know this area, considering your location. South Shore Rd is full of curves and has a canopy of trees covering most of it. There are many driveways. The road was wet with wet leaves in many spots. I used my riding skills considering the circumstances, but this is the kind of situation where I want ABS. Someone does not make a curve and I am in a lean, or a car pulls out and I need to make an emergency stop, my wheels would have locked early in those conditions.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Thumper, I do not intend for this to turn into an ABS debate thread. It is true that one should not allow a technology to replace riding skills as you mentioned, such as situational awareness. Hell, I would dare say that lane positioning significantly decreases your risk as much! I can't speak for anyone else, but I do not believe that my situational awareness, lane positioning, following distance, etc. would change at all if I am on an ABS bike, thinking I can be more lackadaisical because I have ABS on my side. Hardly. However, I also know that emergency braking occurs in a high panic situation, and knowing that you can divert whatever concentration would be dedicated to keeping those wheels turning to instead evaluating and executing a maneuver, significantly increases the chance of avoidance.

Yesterday, I rode up Rt 28, starting in Forestport and doing a loop around the Fulton Chain using South Shore Rd. You probably know this area, considering your location. South Shore Rd is full of curves and has a canopy of trees covering most of it. There are many driveways. The road was wet with wet leaves in many spots. I used my riding skills considering the circumstances, but this is the kind of situation where I want ABS. Someone does not make a curve and I am in a lean, or a car pulls out and I need to make an emergency stop, my wheels would have locked early in those conditions.
    Valid points VStarRider
    In the link offered by thumper 549 it states:
    “A skilled rider on a non-ABS bike can float the rear tire while still braking hardthe reason the non-ABS stopping distance numbers below were oftentimes slightly shorter than with ABS.
    Make no mistake though, ABS will save you in the wet or on slick pavement no matter how skilled you think you are as attested by our test rider. Whether youre riding on the street or on the track, ABS provides a mental advantage by allowing the rider to focus on other important aspects of riding.”

And I agree this does not have to become a “Versus” thread so l’m done commenting.
    Ride safe
    Rod

Technology is great. Saying that I too wish my F6B had ABS but I feel that the linked braking system on the bike is the next best thing. My other bike is a 2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado which has Brembo ABS brakes, traction control with three settings, three different ride modes and cruise control. I purchased the the Eldorado three months ago as a leftover for $13,000. So Honda listen up. It shouldn't cost so much to give us what we want on our F6B.
    Frank Ferrante
    2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by ff73148 View Post
    Technology is great. Saying that I too wish my F6B had ABS but I feel that the linked braking system on the bike is the next best thing. My other bike is a 2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado which has Brembo ABS brakes, traction control with three settings, three different ride modes and cruise control. I purchased the the Eldorado three months ago as a leftover for $13,000. So Honda listen up. It shouldn't cost so much to give us what we want on our F6B.
    AMEN Brother!!

Wink its this simple! and no argument needed or implied..

NO HUMAN can always know what friction will be available all the time... like night, like spilled antifreeze, like fog, like panic caused by critters or humans. We know most of the time..... BUT NEVER ( never ever, never ever, never ever) ALL OF THE TIME!
    That is what ABS is for. Adds another layer of protection. This does not mean one no longer has to practice the fastest, safest best braking possible. This does not mean one can ride with complete abandon, totally care free and take unusual chances etc. BTW... ABS does not work to good when you are cranked way over. ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

OTOH... if one always rode the same roads only in daylight and stayed away from people and critters then the ODDS ARE ABS is not going to be needed .... probably. It reminds me of a airliner pilot joke. The Captain gets on the PA and announces we will probably be making a safe landing in about an hour. SAY WHAT? PROBABLY .... hey sucka... aint no probably..... make the damn safe landing!

What fun is there in riding the same road every day? The same road that you are perfect on the brakes. The same road where no unforeseen out side forces can ruin your day...

I ride to enjoy as much as I can inhale and process. This means traversing unknown bitumen, asphalt, concrete, and every thing in between. All it takes is preventing one spill, and the cost of ABS is paid for 10 fold or more.

From the link:

" Make no mistake though, ABS will save you in the wet or on slick pavement no matter how skilled you think you are as attested by our test rider. "

Enough said.

cold hard facts

Quote Originally Posted by ShanghaiDan View Post
    From the link:

" Make no mistake though, ABS will save you in the wet or on slick pavement no matter how skilled you think you are as attested by our test rider. "

Enough said.
    EXACTLY THANK YOU >>CASE CLOSED!

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post

Dwn in By Hope and Day along the lake is where the vehicle jumped right out of a very secluded driveway.
    Some luck, some skill, and still here.
    I am not going to belabor the ABS issue either.
    I just post what i think I know deluted with what i used to know.
    Each to their own.

Throw a car tire on the back of your F6B and see/feel how much better your stopping distance is improved

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

"Thinking full Wing...due to ABS"

I don't blame you. It's truly saved my life more the one. I won't buy a new Wing without it.