2018 Rally Location ---> POLL - Page 18

View Poll Results: Where should the 2018 Rally take place?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • East of the Mississippi

73 48.99%
  • West of the Mississippi

67 44.97%
  • I'll attend any location

18 12.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Rally Location ---> POLL

I guess I should hold off calling Roxie in Montrose this morning to book that room

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Top of the first page at the beginning of this post and at the bottom of the Home page.

As of 9-21-17

West Coast location has 30 votes,
    East Coast location has 30 votes

There are 6 additional votes with no preference
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    As of 9-23-17

Votes to hold a Rally on the West Coast ---- 32
    Votes to hold a Rally on the East Coast ---- 34

There are 7 additional votes with no preference
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    Oh wow, that doesn't seem like a fair poll to me. If you aren't going to have the rally where the majority of the folks want it, why even bother with a poll. Just saying.. When did you add that twist?
    It has been clear from the beginning. It's OK Jimmy, we have it under control It will be held where the majority want it

As of 10-09-17

Votes to hold a Rally on the West Coast ---- 49
    Votes to hold a Rally on the East Coast ---- 55

There are 10 additional votes with no preference

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    Oh wow, that doesn't seem like a fair poll to me. If you aren't going to have the rally where the majority of the folks want it, why even bother with a poll. Just saying.. When did you add that twist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    That's how I had always understood it would be tallied.
    Elroy, you and the majority understood perfectly as usual, Jimmy trying to ......

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Just got back from my trip to the Smokies, and while it was great, and I'll be back, if I had my druthers for either Smokies or Rockies, it would be the latter, hands down. I met a guy at Deal's Gap who saw my FJR and struck up a conversation, as he used to have one. This guy lived in North Georgia, and I asked him if he had ever ridden in the Rockies. He said he had lived in Durango for 8 years, and when I asked him which he preferred, he said the Rockies, with his reason that there, when you're in the mountains, you can see a long ways, which translates to more fun on the scoot.

Just my humble opinion but I believe that "I'll attend all locations" should be added to Colorado and that Kentucky and the Smokies should be added together.

And, thanks Tony for the outstanding job that you do! You can not please everyone and hopefully folks will understand this and not take it personal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

It is beautiful in that part of the country and I love the lack of extreme heat in the summer we have here in Florida. I do bet it is some kinda cold lots of the year. I have a problem most don't have, being that it is about 10 ft above sea level here where I live and when I get above around 9000 ft. elevation I find it hard to get a good breath of air. Took a rent car to Pikes Peak a couple of months ago and was glad I was not on a bike. At the 12K or so top I was plum dizzy and don't like that feeling at all and could not wait to get back down. Experienced it again at Rocky Mountain National Park. And it was dang cold and snow on the ground in the middle of summer. I do have on my bucket list to visit Beartooth Pass and some other places along the way up to there when I can plan at least two weeks to make the trip. That would include a lot of Western Colorado. Maybe bringing some oxygen bottles will help.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I'd love to do that.....need a city to base out of near the great riding, plus some lodging options.
    Any recommendations????

Cheers,
    Steve
    Hi Steve,

I go there every year, at least once - last year twice. I would suggest Gunnison. It's a town on HWY 50 - just west of Colorado Springs and Pueblo, with a population of about 6000.

I searched hotel / motel on google - there are 20 or so. Elevation arount 7,000 ft. Easy to get there - I-70 then thru the Springs. Only one high pass (Monarch) to go over using this route. Awesome rides - Pikes Peak, Million $ highway, Royal Gorge, etc., are all close.

The only challenge would be the timing. Too early - passes not open yet - too late...same thing. I would suggest late August to early September - not as many tourists, and a nice break from the heat when in the mountains. If you all decide to go, I would be glad to help.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    It is beautiful in that part of the country and I love the lack of extreme heat in the summer we have here in Florida. I do bet it is some kinda cold lots of the year. I have a problem most don't have, being that it is about 10 ft above sea level here where I live and when I get above around 9000 ft. elevation I find it hard to get a good breath of air. Took a rent car to Pikes Peak a couple of months ago and was glad I was not on a bike. At the 12K or so top I was plum dizzy and don't like that feeling at all and could not wait to get back down. Experienced it again at Rocky Mountain National Park. And it was dang cold and snow on the ground in the middle of summer. I do have on my bucket list to visit Beartooth Pass and some other places along the way up to there when I can plan at least two weeks to make the trip. That would include a lot of Western Colorado. Maybe bringing some oxygen bottles will help.
    Your point is well taken. Anyone who is not physically fit should plan the altitude part of a Co. trip by carefully taking incremental stages along the way and go easy on the booze.

Now that I've said that out loud I wanna go east to what BigDawg refers to as the Bourbon Trail and the smell of horse shit...whaaaaaaa

I'll probably pass Will as he heads west. Dang!
    J/K
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    Your point is well taken. Anyone who is not physically fit should plan the altitude part of a Co. trip by carefully taking incremental stages along the way and go easy on the booze.

Now that I've said that out loud I wanna go east to what BigDawg refers to as the Bourbon Trail and the smell of horse shit...whaaaaaaa

I'll probably pass Will as he heads west. Dang!
    J/K

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post

Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!