Good bag verses tour pack
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good bag verses tour pack

I am surprised how many spend so much time and money on great tour packs that they plan on rarely using. I have 3 really nice bags. With 2 of those bags I can pack enough items that I can travel and camp for a week. One bag is enough that wife and I can go on 4 day motel trip weekend with enough room to carry 2 full face helmets in case of bad weather, and easily instead bag to carry all we need into hotel room. The tour packs just never look as nice on as the 6 looks without it. Less than $100 invested in bags

Quote Originally Posted by lake_carl View Post
    I am surprised how many spend so much time and money on great tour packs that they plan on rarely using. I have 3 really nice bags. With 2 of those bags I can pack enough items that I can travel and camp for a week. One bag is enough that wife and I can go on 4 day motel trip weekend with enough room to carry 2 full face helmets in case of bad weather, and easily instead bag to carry all we need into hotel room. The tour packs just never look as nice on as the 6 looks without it. Less than $100 invested in bags
    It's a matter of opinion. There are plenty of times I would really appreciate the convenience of a trunk or tour pack. I have looked into it myself, but I will continue to use my luggage. I have a Kuryakyn Grand Traveler bag that works pretty well. I am thinking of getting a trailer to pull for taking longer trips 2 up.

When the time comes and I decide to upgrade to possibly the new Gold Wing, it will probably be the Tour version with the trunk. Of course , now the trunk can be removed on the new Wings.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

I use a surplus USMC 13 day pack and my F6B luggage.

I had a full Goldwing and enjoyed the tour pack, but I like the F6B without the trunk much better. I no longer carry a passenger and I find by using a combination of bags on the rack and back seat I can carry as much as I ever did on the wing. With one bag on the back seat, one on the rack and another on top of the other two bags I have more capacity than I need even with camping gear on a long trip.

If I had wanted a trunk I would have bought a full Wing and I would have gotten reverse in the bargain.

As they say different strokes.

I have a nice waterproof bag I've used for the last year. So far its worked for the GF and I on a few small trips. Going to experiment more in prep for the rally.

Truly it depends on One's needs.
    By myself?
    I can live out of a sandwich bag for months!
    Add my GF, and now things change -
    So...A trunk adds a rear backrest, a place for the bag all in one.
    Pretty simple.

We use the trunk on every ride. Helmets and jackets go into the saddlebags and trunk. Don't carry them around with us nor leave them on top of the bike.

We will take food and drinks with us as well as leftovers back with us. If we are out in the county, we will pick up fresh produce at the local farm fruit/vegetable stands and bring it home.

My Victory Vision had a nice top rear trunk. I miss that feature... I could put a lot of stuff in it; lock it up and never worry about things getting stolen.

A bag is quite different; too easy for someone to remove it from the bike if you're not around.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I love the look of my '13 deluxe, sleek and low. I have the F6b bags for those weekend trips, maybe for a couple of days longer I would strap on the kuryakyn bag to the passenger seat, I travel alone most of the time, if the G'friend is coming along I may hook my carryall to the receiver hitch and if it is a l o n g trip I will hook up the trailer. I have options short of a tour pack and now w/an additional option

should my back be not up to a long ride to a riding destination, I can load up the 6 and take it...
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

Wolfman duffle bag here. Waterproof. I figure it has cost me less than $3 per use. Still in great shape.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.