Aegis, mechanical breakdown coverage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aegis, mechanical breakdown coverage

Aegis, mechanical breakdown coverage

Went down to the Honda dealership to buy a new (2015) F6B and ended up buying a 2008 Honda Goldwing with 17,000 miles, so here is my situation; feel I paid too much, a week later went to pick it up and this is what I decided to do. I put money down and financed the rest and also bought Aegis three year extended coverage for $1,650.00, so to make up or not to spend even more I am dropping the "Aegis" and going to pay off the balance saving $2,130.00 on the finance charge, a $3780.00 total savings. Now I've come to my question to you all. Am I making a mistake dropping the extended coverage? I own a Honda 2014 VT1300CT Interstate and I was going to buy a 2018 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe for my next ride and a friend was saying the bike you have is the less maintenance ride. So now owning the Gold Wing a very clean bike and a very low mileage I am thinking I am throwing money away on the Aegis. So you all owning the Goldwings know about or at least could advise me on this.

Quote Originally Posted by 924Mike Mike View Post
    Went down to the Honda dealership to buy a new (2015) F6B and ended up buying a 2008 Honda Goldwing with 17,000 miles, so here is my situation; feel I paid too much, a week later went to pick it up and this is what I decided to do. I put money down and financed the rest and also bought Aegis three year extended coverage for $1,650.00, so to make up or not to spend even more I am dropping the "Aegis" and going to pay off the balance saving $2,130.00 on the finance charge, a $3780.00 total savings. Now I've come to my question to you all. Am I making a mistake dropping the extended coverage? I own a Honda 2014 VT1300CT Interstate and I was going to buy a 2018 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe for my next ride and a friend was saying the bike you have is the less maintenance ride. So now owning the Gold Wing a very clean bike and a very low mileage I am thinking I am throwing money away on the Aegis. So you all owning the Goldwings know about or at least could advise me on this.
    Shoulda gone with your first instinct and bought the ‘15 F6B.

Having said that, 17,000 miles is not many for a Gold Wing. It’s barely broken in. I feel $1600 is a lot for a three year warranty on a machine that is proven to go many times its current mileage. I think you’re probably gonna be better off doing what you’re doing and paying off that note. I’d probably do the same thing. I’m not a gambler, but I’d bet on the track record of the Honda brand and the Gold Wing in particular.

Enjoy your new ride. 👍🏽
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

A few comments:

—That’s a lot of money for a three year warranty. Hopefully you have gotten a good history on the Wing and have been able to confirm the low mileage is accurate and the maintenance on the bike. For a bike with such low mileage over about ten years I’d be concerned about it perhaps setting for long periods and all routine maintenance based upon time vs mileage. A bike not routinely ridden would be a concern for me. Hopefully you have good insights into the history of the bike.

—As for the warranty, I’d not normally want to spend that much money, and if I did I’d want to ensure that the warranty would cover potential expensive problems. Most 1800 Wings go well over 100k miles with no problems that would cost anywhere near that much. Buy or not, it depends upon how you think the bike was maintained over the ten years.

—As for the financing, that seems like a really big finance charge for financing a ten year old bike. For me, it sounds like the cost of the bike is really high and/or the APR is abnormally high. For that amount, if you have the money to pay for the bike, I’d sure skip the financing!!! Which it sounds like you did.

I purchased my new 2016 F6B Deluxe this past spring from Russellville Honda. Really good deal, plus it was exactly what I wanted. New bike. New bike warranty. Also considered buying a used 2012 Wing from a friend back east with 19,000 miles and I knew the history. And it was at a great price/deal for me, but I decided on the new F6B with good financing and factory warranty. Never looked back.

I had a 2002 Wing purchased new with 150k+ miles when I totaled it a few years back, so I know 1800 Wings pretty well. In all those years and miles, I spent lots on routine maintenance, LOTS of tires, and lots on accessories, but much less than $1000 on problems/issues. BUT, I bought the bike new and therefore knew exactly how the bike was maintained.

Just a few things for consideration. Hope you enjoy your new bike. Ride it a lot — that’s what it likes best, and so will you.
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

Went down to the Honda dealership to buy a new (2015) F6B and ended up buying a 2008 Honda Goldwing with 17,000 miles, so here is my situation; feel I paid too much, So you all owning the Goldwings know about or at least could advise me on this.
    Welcome to the B Hive.

I appears to me that you've answered your own question. Since you're now the owner of a 2008 Goldwing keep focused on the road ahead, and enjoy your decision to the fullest.

All the best.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

If the 08 Wing was taken good care of, the miles are not of much importance as these bikes are good for "mega"miles...I would drop the warranty ASAP!!..Way too much money and you will most likely never need it...The guy that wrenches on my bike is a retired mechanic from Rousch Racing and has a 2008 Wing with 85,000 miles and no issues except for routine maint......Ride safe and enjoy

Am I making a mistake dropping the extended coverage?
    You did the right thing. A 3rd party warranty should not be considered. Many shops will not honor them. If the "i's" are not dotted, and the "t's" not crossed correctly they've been burned by an insurance company not making payment. However, many will work with the customer who'll have to file the claim by themselves. That usually means that the customer pays the bill and waits for reimbursement. Unfortunately, the customer may learn the same lesson. Also, repairs such as GL1800 transmission failure are not be covered because it is a "known issue," and most policies will not cover known issues.

The ones who make out big on selling 3rd party warrantees are the salesman and the selling dealer. On some the commissions are more then 1/2 the amount you paid for it.

This is true in the car world too ... only buy a manufactures extended warrantee. Most others are not worth the money and aggravation.

Thanks Everyone

Thank you all, and I am enjoying my new bike and looking forward to adding many miles to the 17,000 miles that are on it.

i traded my 2013 f6b for a pearl white 2008 goldwing...

i had a few minor issues to correct on the 2008 (but nothing serious, just like knowing the bike functions safely)...

changed the oil and oil filter,
    had 3 sets of brake pads installed,
    had the clutch and brake fluids flushed and replaced,
    took off the centramatic balancers,
    put on new bridgestone tires on my spare f6b rims (i didn't care for the dunlop elite 4 tires, nothing wrong with them, i just prefer the bridgestones),

had some critical torque values checked (the previous owner's mechanic didn't have a clear understanding of torque and it's importance)

bought it on ohio, took it to the tail of the dragon, and then back through tennesee and kentucky, i love having cruise and reverse now (i'm not a spring chicken any more)

as for mileage vs. warranty, i didn't even ask for one, it's a rock-solid bike, so i kept that money in my pocket.

enjoy the new wing,

steve
    What? Coffee ISN'T free?

Rode-map

Quote Originally Posted by coffee_weasle View Post

had some critical torque values checked (the previous owner's mechanic didn't have a clear understanding of torque and it's importance)

steve
    Don't hold out on us. I think we all want to know precisely which "critical torque values were checked".
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Don't hold out on us. I think we all want to know precisely which "critical torque values were checked".
    Sorry ... I'm not coffee_weasle, but I know the answer to "critical torque" values on a GL1800s. Basically, fasters having to do with brakes and suspension. Those would include, but are not limited to, caliper mount bolts, brake pin bolts, triple tree pinch bolts, front spindle bolt and pinch bolts, and rear wheel lug nut torque.