Which Wind Screen to Buy
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which Wind Screen to Buy

Which Wind Screen to Buy

Seems like this is a question that is open for debate and there is not a real option to "try before you buy". It appears that many F6B members do the "buy & try" and then "try to sell" more than a few times before they get that "just right feeling".

I would like to buy the right one once but that seems to be the challenge. I have almost 200,000 miles of saddle time on bikes since 1966 and never really gave windscreens the scrutiny that they get by the F6'ers.

Any guidance and recommendations based on road-time experience will be appreciated so I do not end up on the 4-Sale site trying to get rid of screens that didn't work for me.

One thing I have learned from this site is that size matters! Inseams, height, seats, riding companions, vents, eyebrows, etc.

So, here are may stats: 5'10''
    30 " inseam
    Longer from the belt up
    34" arm length
    All riding is one-up
    Standard seat...for now
    Ride sort'a slumped forward rather than a BMW rider posture
    Love the sleek look of the F6
    Prefer to stay with a minimal screen but want to reduce the wind buffeting and bug feast
    Planning on riding from Ohio to CA and back next season

Prefer to buy a $150 screen rather than a $300 screen. BUT, would rather buy one $300 screen than two $150 screens...and then the $300 screen!

Madstand seems to be a "go-to" screen by many that ride two-up but there are so many other options available. Re-curved screens, bagger screens with adjustable height, add-on screen extensions, vents, non-vented, wide screens, tall screens, look-through screens, look-over screens... the options seem to be endless.

By the way, I ride without a helmet unless I am going through Missouri, W. Virginia, CA, and those other states that dictate how I dress when using their roads.

The stock screen works great if you lay on the tank or are 4' tall. When I sit up, the buffeting starts right at eyebrow height. I am guessing that if that screen was 3" taller it might work. That is why I am wondering if a recurve screen is a good workable option for a 0ne-Up rider.

Thanks for any words of wisdom before I pull out my credit card and start collecting wind screens

Look in the for sale section, you will see many brands listed except for the Mastad. People keep them, many after several tries of other shields which you "will" find listed. It is expensive but might be the best choice, they also offer a buy back if you not satisfied so you only loose shipping. Or as I did, I sent the outer half back for a shorter size and clear color. Go with the 11 inch to start as even a lower shield works well and is easy to see over. I have a klockworks and a stock in storage I might do something with someday. Neither are worth the trouble and expense to ship to someone. Now very happy with the protection offered by the Mastad. I also predict the two piece type they use will be more and more common as more find out about how well they work. You already see a two piece shield on Can Ams and it looks like the early pictures of the new Goldwing is going to use the same technology. Some people don't like the looks of those brackets, I did not much at first but now I do and think it looks futuristic. I also like that the lower short part is black and the upper tall part clear so almost invisible. Just my opinion.

2wheels is right on the button. I've got the Madstad after reading all of the positive reviews. Tried it out. I've not got the time yet to put tons of miles on the B. It did it's job but I've not had the time to dial in the proper angle and height. Then a forum member offered up his Baggershield and I bought it. It's now on the B as of last week and I'll be trying it out soon. I'm still not attracted to the look of the MS but function should reign over form, at least that's what I'm thinking. I'm 5' 11" also and 31" inseam and have the 11" lightly tinted top MS screen. It's plenty for me so far. I see over it at the lowest and through it at the highest. Wish there was a remote control for angle and height, especially the angle. They tout the angle as being the key feature, IMO. Plenty of bikes with height adjustments out there. If the Baggershield works FOR ME, I'll be selling the MS. Look back at Drive Jehu's B, and he went from Georgia to Alaska and back with the optional vented windshield offered by Honda for the B. They can be had for about $168 online. I've got more questions than answers like yourself. There needs to be a windshield store like a shoe store ......might start up another new business

I will put it to you this way.

In the first year of owning my F6B I went thru

Honda Tall shield ... sold
    Clearview ....returned
    Stock for Gold Wing, drilled to fit the F6B .... still have in the garage somewhere
    Slipstream for Gold Wing, drilled to fit the F6B .... still have in the garage somewhere

Madstad still on the bike after 3 years
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Check with some area Honda dealers. Klockwerks offers the dealers "test" shields that they will install and let you try them. I'm not of the function over looks group. I am trying to find a happy medium and the MS just doesn't do it fm looking at pics. If I could see 1 in person I may change my mind. I ran a 13" Cee Bailey that worked really well, I'm 6'1 and 34" but it was light tint and just made the bike look too much like a full Wing. I currently have a (14") Klockwerks that has been cut to 11 1/2". I purchased it fm a mbr here not knowing it had been cut down but it looks great and is still better than stock. The wind catches me about eye level and I think a full 14 or even 16 would be ideal. Like you, I don't want to drop $300 without trying first.

In short, anything over 13" should work. Taka makes a recurve that sells for around $100 that I've considered. Somebody else makes a recurve that is 4" wider than the Kw, but I don't recall who. There are just too many other farkles to choose from that it makes for a head scratcher on priorities.

Windscreen

Well , after much research I bought a F-4 Customs 16" clear with Honda vent installed. Perfect for me. Great wind, weather & bug protection. If you're going cross country I'd call and talk to the owner. Maybe get a full touring ( tall ) F-4 Customs. They're pricy, but I'm like you, really wanted to do this just once. Crystal clear, will not scratch. Still looks brand new.

Here is my 2 cents.

From years of reading here about windshields, the consensus is that if you want to look over the shield, the madstad is the way to go.

If you want real wind protection, and since you do not wear a helmet, I think you should get one that you look through.

One of my shields is a Light tint Tulsa Tall that I have cut down to a reasonable height. It is what I use for cross country riding. It is only about $140.

The rest of the time I use a 16" Clearview that I have added a mini madstad shield to. Without the mini madstad, the clearview is annoying at freeway speeds without a helmet.

I'll try a pic for fun. New server, maybe it will work: Never mind - still no worky.
    Albuquerque, NM

Long Ride Shields has a great sale going on their Taka windshield right now, pick one up for < $100.

https://longrideshields.com/collecti...nt=29849645769

I got the 14" this year, and am 6', with a 30" inseam, and I also have a Mustang seat that sits me 1" lower than stock. Reading your stats, and with the stock seat, I would suggest going with a 12" or 13" shield. If I was to order it again, I'd order the light tint, not the dark. The dark looks cooler, but it's pretty dark.

SlipStreamer for you?

I traded my F6B for a K1600B but still have my 2 favorite screens for sale: SlipSteamer in clear and opaque OEM screen for summer. I am your size and liked both screens for different seasons. You can have them both for $150 plus shipping. My K1600B now runs 2 screens: opaque shorty for summer and taller clear one for winter --this combination is perfect for all year riding likevwe have in NorCal.

Do yourself a favor and just buy the mad stad. That's what you will end up with any way. I love mine and there are many others that will say the same. Pricey but worth it.