tire brand for looks - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tire brand for looks

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Did you look at the picture of a RE-71R? Look here: https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire...2-16756ba37b15
    That Potenza has Potential .......I do like that one. Not quite as many cuts as the Michelin for water siping? I've been a Michelin customer for decades on everything I've owned, except for Goodrich T/A Radials for the 4x4 beasts I used to take out west.

Got the tire and mounted on my spare silver rim. Changed out the black front rim to silver also so about one and a half hours to swap both wheels. That 195 was tough to get up into the wheel cavity even deflated but it did fit with lots of encouragement. I think it looks good. Have only done a few tight curves and a couple of peg scraps but really not much noticeable difference in the way it handles. At slow speeds you do notice a little more effort to fall into a turn but that decreases with speed. Have not been on the hiway yet to check tracking. First picture is old tire on rim and CT not on rim, Second is a still good Avon and CT both on rims. Going on a long ride tomorrow and will put it through the test.

Got the tire and mounted on my spare silver rim. Changed out the black front rim to silver also so about one and a half hours to swap both wheels. That 195 was tough to get up into the wheel cavity even deflated but it did fit with lots of encouragement. I think it looks good. Have only done a few tight curves and a couple of peg scraps but really not much noticeable difference in the way it handles. At slow speeds you do notice a little more effort to fall into a turn but that decreases with speed. Have not been on the hiway yet to check tracking. First picture is old tire on rim and CT not on rim, Second is a still good Avon and CT both on rims. Going on a long ride tomorrow and will put it through the test.
    Lots of center wear on that Avon - you may have to relegate it to "twisty road only" status!

Best of luck with the CT.
    Looking forward to hearing your report.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

The pic you posted is the Shinko. When I experienced its poor traction ability on both wet and dry I finished it off with several burn outs and enjoyed the smoke. But yes even the Avon with less than 5K on it is showing more wear in the middle and some what of a flat center.

The pic you posted is the Shinko. When I experienced its poor traction ability on both wet and dry I finished it off with several burn outs and enjoyed the smoke. But yes even the Avon with less than 5K on it is showing more wear in the middle and some what of a flat center.
    Would you please get away from your computer and get out and ride and report back to us?

We're waiting........

LOL it is a pretty day out today and I've rode around the hood a few times but doing a longer ride tomorrow up to Stockton. I'm also happy to meet you somewhere sometime and let you ride this CT and see what you think. Of course you might explode from what I've read about you and what you think about CTs on bikes.

I'm also resting today as much as possible because the Wife has told me I will have to stay out tonight past my normal 9:00 bedtime.

Put a couple hundred on the CT today which included many twisties, poor pavement, temp bridge grating, and under construction grooved pavement as well as some flat smooth pavement and speeds into the triple digits. The tire handled flawlessly and it is easy to forget it is back there. My VTX with a CT was not so nice and was very much a negative in multiple ways, not so with this bike. I don't know if it is the tire choice or the bike but barley noticeable that it is not a regular motorcycle tire, in fact much better then a crappy poor traction Shinko I had on it for a while. The only things that might be considered and they are minor are: Cons, a little more effort is required to fall into a curve at slow speeds. Maybe a bit of wander on straight flat smooth pavement if not paying attention, that's it! Pros, I think a little more lean angle is available now, but still touch down the pegs often. Traction is improved with no slippage off the line or dumping of the clutch. I'm running 42 pounds as that is what I've always run in my tires, so might experiment some with lower pressures but would be subprized to see an improvement. Another thought is maybe mount the Go Pro so I can see the tire in action because I wonder how much compression of the edge I'm experiencing. Wet pavement is yet to be experienced but I don;t push a bike in the wet anyway.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    ..if you can find one:

195/55r16 Michelin primacy alpin pa3 zp run flat

There is a replacement Michelin with EXCELLENT reviews that would work and has very similar tread design with many sipes for water to exit, there is also the Pirelli winter tire (I have not seen any reviews)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    There is a replacement Michelin with EXCELLENT reviews that would work and has very similar tread design with many sipes for water to exit, there is also the Pirelli winter tire (I have not seen any reviews)

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537