New BMW Bagger Model - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New BMW Bagger Model

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    Trust me when I say you dont want to set at a stop light to long with a Boss Hoss between your legs....I know.

(not me)
    A blower on a Boss Hoss ??? That is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    A blower on a Boss Hoss ??? That is insane.
    Reminds me of....

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by pdxstriper View Post
    Bottom line for me in comparing the K1600B vs New Goldwing:

tech: comparable
    price: comparable
    performance and zoom/gee-wiz factor: comparable

reliability: favors the Honda
    cost of ownership: greatly favors Honda

So that's the way I'll roll once they are both out and the initial bugs are flushed out

pete
    Interesting....
    While I agree with MOST of what you wrote, I am curious about your projection on the performance factor. The K1600B blows the doors of the F6B. All of the K1600 series bikes have 160hp, and several of our members have had the pleasure of watching the K-series taillights get smaller and smaller. Hornblower and a couple others actually own or owned both a K1600 and an F6B. According to them, though the F6B is a great performer in its own right, it isn't comparable at all performance-wise. The K-series are faster with more clearance in the turns.

The new Goldwing's engine is supposed to be an improvement on the current engine (how much remains to be seen...but the displacement has only gone up by 1cc), and there is a slight difference in weight between it and the F6B (90 pounds lighter than the current full-dressed wing... less so with our bikes). How are you drawing the conclusion that the performance is comparable? Better than what we have (which is great IMO)?...probably. Comparable to the beastly inline 6 that the K1600 has?... I see no evidence of that in any of the reviews.

At the end of the day, there are several factors that go into making a bike purchase besides speed and handling. I'm just curious if you came across some info that paints a different comparative picture between the performance of the new bikes. If so, please share.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswole31 View Post
    Interesting....
    While I agree with MOST of what you wrote, I am curious about your projection on the performance factor. The K1600B blows the doors of the F6B. All of the K1600 series bikes have 160hp, and several of our members have had the pleasure of watching the K-series taillights get smaller and smaller. Hornblower and a couple others actually own or owned both a K1600 and an F6B. According to them, though the F6B is a great performer in its own right, it isn't comparable at all performance-wise. The K-series are faster with more clearance in the turns.

The new Goldwing's engine is supposed to be an improvement on the current engine (how much remains to be seen...but the displacement has only gone up by 1cc), and there is a slight difference in weight between it and the F6B (90 pounds lighter than the current full-dressed wing... less so with our bikes). How are you drawing the conclusion that the performance is comparable? Better than what we have (which is great IMO)?...probably. Comparable to the beastly inline 6 that the K1600 has?... I see no evidence of that in any of the reviews.

At the end of the day, there are several factors that go into making a bike purchase besides speed and handling. I'm just curious if you came across some info that paints a different comparative picture between the performance of the new bikes. If so, please share.
    Being simple minded, it amuses me to think Mother Honda increased each cylinder size by 1/6th of a cc. Maybe they shaved a little off of each piston to increase the volume and save weight.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Being simple minded, it amuses me to think Mother Honda increased each cylinder size by 1/6th of a cc. Maybe they shaved a little off of each piston to increase the volume and save weight.
    They reduced the cylinder dia. by 1mm and increased the stroke by 2mm to make it an even 73mm X 73mm configuration. Not sure why except it did reduce the size (physical) of the engine a little bit and with a little more stroke should improve torque even if it is a small amount. Seems like the strategy was to reduce the weight first and foremost to make the bike feel lighter and faster. But anyway that's where the extra 1cc came from.
    Save a biker........Open your f-ing eyes!! (and get off your phone)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reliability is even more important than price to me.

The annual USAÂ-consumer survey of the top 10 brands found similar results to last year with the Japanese marques leading the reliability stakes. Yamaha recorded the lowest failure rate for four-year-old motorcycles with 11%, followed by Suzuki and Honda (12%) and Kawasaki (15%).
    American brands Victory (17%) and Harley-Â-Davidson (26%) were midpack, and Triumph (29%), Ducati (33%), BMW (40%), and Can-Am (42%) were the more trouble-prone brands.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswole31 View Post
    Interesting....

Agree with your post about the speed and handling differences between the 2 bikes...My riding buddy on his 08 R1200RT can out run my F6B eaisly..The new 1600B from BMW is very, very, fast and will out accelerate the F6B without effort....If speed and a little better handling in corners is your thing it might be worth to take a look at the BMW...Maint. costs will be much higher as I am told, but who knows??....Regards and ride safe

Now that I have some seat time on the K1600B, how about some pros and cons. Just to get it out of the way, yes, it's awesome! The engine, brakes, suspension, lighting, electronics, and for me, the looks, are simply great. Also, the cornering clearance is much better. The 7 gallon fuel tank is pretty nice too and, at 740 lbs. wet, it's quite nimble. That said, there are a couple of possible cons in comparison to the F6B. First, the CG on the KB is noticeably higher than on the B. You really feel this difference when taking the KB off the side stand and in very slow riding. Of course, once up to speed, this disappears. Also, putting the KB on it's center stand is extremely difficult. If I was heavier and stronger, I could do it but, as it is, I simply cannot get it on the CS without help or at least first riding the rear tire up on a 1" board. I think possibly if the CS was shortened a bit, it would be much easier. As most of you know, it's pretty much impossible to service many big bikes without a CS especially if there is no underlying structure to handle a motorcycle lift or jack. That's the case with the KB...just no place to use as a lifting point.

Looking at the 2018 redesign of the Wing, I have to believe the comparison to BMW will be much closer than some think. I know, on the KB, all performance components are first rate. This is simply the best engine, best brakes, best suspension, etc. I've ever had on any bike. Between the B and the KB, one issue to be considered is whether you want a really torquey and relatively low RPM engine or a higher revving and thus higher HP engine. Both bikes are probably fast enough for most of us. I imagine 0-60 ET's would be pretty close but past that, the KB will rule. Also, it's going to be very interesting to compare the KB's quick shifter to the Wing's DCT. I have DCT on my tuned GTI and it's pretty cool. If it works that well on the Wing, I'd love to have it. The future is looking pretty interesting indeed!
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Reliability is even more important than price to me.

The annual USA�-consumer survey of the top 10 brands found similar results to last year with the Japanese marques leading the reliability stakes. Yamaha recorded the lowest failure rate for four-year-old motorcycles with 11%, followed by Suzuki and Honda (12%) and Kawasaki (15%).
    American brands Victory (17%) and Harley-�-Davidson (26%) were midpack, and Triumph (29%), Ducati (33%), BMW (40%), and Can-Am (42%) were the more trouble-prone brands.
    Yamaha and Suzuki beat Honda in reliably? Wow... I never would have guessed. Also surprised that BMW is so trouble prone
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
    Yamaha and Suzuki beat Honda in reliably? Wow... I never would have guessed. Also surprised that BMW is so trouble prone
    BMW + =

They are nice bikes but will not have one. They are high maintenance.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537