Full Goldwing leg position
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Goldwing leg position

Full Goldwing leg position

I went and looked at a very nice, very low mileage 2015 Goldwing. It had a very good price. I know in the next year or two, there will likely be some good deals on pre 2018, but I wanted to go look. I was a little disappointed in the foot position. At 6'3", I felt the bend in my knee would be too much, and I was surprised how little room there was between my knees and the fairing. I felt a little "scrunched in". This unit had floor boards and a heel/toe shifter. I'm thinking with the regular pegs and shifter, there may be a little more foot room there, but as is, my size 13 foot was hitting the toe and the heel levers on the shifter. I'm not sure I would enjoy this riding position, so I'm looking for some feedback/advice on this situation. I thought maybe a different seat may help, but to get an aftermarket heated seat kills the whole "great price" I would need to be motivated enough to trade. I'm certain I would also need something to move the brake pedal forward, and my foot would likely rest on it if not.

BTW, I would probably trade a 2012 Ultra Limited and possibly the F6B. I'm not necessarily looking for a full Gold Wing as much as entertaining the idea of it. I just happened to see this one and it's a pretty good deal.

It is the one major complaint.
    I have not addressed it yet, but I am told there are seats that will set you back further.
    And better peg that mounts to the engine guard to get your feet forward.
    If there is one thing that makes me sell this thing it would be that.

It is the one thing I love about my Roadking. I can pick several positions to ride in.
    Or, ride to almost laid out like in a lawn chair.
    I am very surprised Honda did not ever address it.

It can take a long period of time to adjust to the Goldwing's "Praying Mantis" position. Especially if you are coming from cruisers that allow you to stretch out your legs.

Coming off of a Victory Vision; it took me three weeks to stop banging my boots into the F6B's valve covers as I was trying to put my feet on it's pegs

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    It can take a long period of time to adjust to the Goldwing's "Praying Mantis" position. Especially if you are coming from cruisers that allow you to stretch out your legs.

Coming off of a Victory Vision; it took me three weeks to stop banging my boots into the F6B's valve covers as I was trying to put my feet on it's pegs
    +1 on this issue as I had the same problem for a a while..Although I am only 5'8" it was still an issue at first coming off the Vision...BTW, I love the seating and riding position of the new Indian Chieftain much better than my F6B....Oh well, the B is paid for and only has 14,000 miles on it...Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by thumper 549 View Post
    It is the one major complaint.
    I have not addressed it yet, but I am told there are seats that will set you back further.
    And better peg that mounts to the engine guard to get your feet forward.
    If there is one thing that makes me sell this thing it would be that.

It is the one thing I love about my Roadking. I can pick several positions to ride in.
    Or, ride to almost laid out like in a lawn chair.
    I am very surprised Honda did not ever address it.
    Thanks for the reply and info. Since I've never seriously considered a Gold Wing (until having the F6B), I have never delved far enough in to learn about this. I think my thought is if the F6B is this good, imagine how great a full Gold Wing is. I have to admit, I love this F6B. It fits me better than any Harley or other bike I've ever had. There is really not a good reason to part with it, now or in the foreseeable future, as I just enjoy it so much. That said, seems I am always thoughtful of the next bike, always looking at them.

A person can't own enough bikes.
    I need One to suit the personality of the day or trip.
    The F6 is for those sleepy rides, uneventful.
    The HD is more viral, in touch.

Agree.

I have a bike for the days I feel like a hooligan. It's my DR650... with that DG Exhaust...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

My observation is when I ride the HD, I focus way more on the bike than the ride. How does it sound, how does it look, what do I want to add to it, what if I upped the performance on it, etc. When I ride the F6B, all I think about is the ride, and enjoy it more. The bike damn near drives itself, it's so smooth and effortless to ride, I don't have to think about it much. I just ride it. When I initially rode a friends F6B, I thought it was boring. Now, I realize it's simply just pleasurable to ride, and I enjoy it much more than the HD. My wife likes the HD, but I would ride the F6B everytime over the HD, and it's an Ultra Limited. With my height, I just don't find many bikes that fit me as well as the F6B does, that gives me the comfort and near perfect ergos. I really don't want to ride any other bikes right now. I thought the Gold Wing might be the same, but I don't think the ergos are right for me.

I agree 99%, but instead of an HD to get my hot, air-cooled, potato-potato sounding, shake your fillings out thrill... I just pick up a 2000 Confederate Hellcat with a 120ci MERCH stage 3 billet CNC engine, 130+ rwhp...What a rush to twist up the wick on this 400+ lb monster(pic to follow soon) it has as much giggle factor as my 2003 Turbo VTX1800 with 167 rwhp.

My steel steed stable is now filled with six turn key runners, 2013 F6B, 2003 VTX1800ctro, 2003 VTX1800c Turbo, 05 Rune, 2000 Confederate Hellcat and last, but not lest a 2008 KLR 650 duel sport.
    Builds currently on lifts, 2004 VTX1800r with Turbo, 2004 Rune.

I keep all the keys to my runners in a bag and grab randomly any key, then ride that scoot for the day if I have no other reason to ride than to get some wind in the face and knees in the breeze... as I try and do every day.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

You area lucky guy!