Why are most choosing snow tire
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are most choosing snow tire

Why are most choosing snow tire

Tittle says my question, I would think an all season or sports car tire be better?

Quote Originally Posted by lake_carl View Post
    Tittle says my question, I would think an all season or sports car tire be better?
    Softer rubber compound = better grip.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I'm sure all grip very well and is not cause for worry.

From Edmunds:
    Dry Test Results
    Home sweet home. We're back at our usual test ground at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California, for some good old dry asphalt. This is the surface we're all familiar with, so we figure we can predict the finishing order with ease: summer, all-season, then snow.

And so it is. The summer tires (actually you could also think of them as three-season tires) top the charts in acceleration (8.7 seconds), stopping distance (120 feet) and lateral acceleration (0.86g). OK, this acceleration figure isn't the best we've ever achieved with a Civic Si, but for the sake of consistency we're still using traction control for these launches.

Our all-season tire ties for top honors in the 0-60 test with another 8.7-second run, but its stopping distance and lateral grip figures sag in comparison to the summer tire, with marks of 131 feet and 0.84g, respectively. Not bad, but still second-best.

Pity the poor snow tires, as they are well and truly out of their element here. They manage a competitive 8.9-second acceleration pass to 60 mph, but the 155-foot braking runs and 0.81g lateral acceleration laps take a visible toll on the tread, which might not make it to the car's next oil change if we keep this up. And the noise they make when cruising straight and level reminds us of a lifted off-road pickup.

Those results would be what I expect, my deeper siping snow tires put less rubber on road. Road tires use rubber to adhear to road, off road tires use siping tread to attempt to grip loose surfaces

Quote Originally Posted by lake_carl View Post
    Those results would be what I expect, my deeper siping snow tires put less rubber on road. Road tires use rubber to adhear to road, off road tires use siping tread to attempt to grip loose surfaces
    What tire would you rather have on a wet road?

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

The snow tire does kick butt in snow and ice but:
    Wet Test Results
    As with the snow test, it takes a purpose-built test surface to get meaningful and accurate wet test results. What's needed is a large flat VDA with a special asphalt formulation and a water-delivery system that can maintain a uniform depth of water (the approximate thickness of a quarter), so there's a consistent coefficient of friction across the entire surface.

We find it at Arizona Proving Ground (APG) near Phoenix, formerly a Volvo facility and now branded as Ford. Its pristine micro-pool looks gorgeous on this May afternoon as the surrounding mountain peaks, little fluffy clouds and spring sunlight reflect in the glassy surface.

It turns out we can test everything to and from 60 mph here, so for brevity's sake we'll stick to a discussion of those results. Those who want to can find the 40-mph results on the accompanying charts.

Acceleration testing provides the first surprise, as the all-season tire trails the pack with a 15.4-second 0-60 run. The snow tire's 12.7-second effort for 2nd place is significantly better, but the summer tire tops them all with an 11.9-second performance, over 20 percent quicker than the all-season tire. In fact, the all-season tire began encountering trouble near 40 mph, where it had been only 0.4 second behind the summer tire's performance when hydroplaning and wheelspin paid a visit.

Things are much the same when braking from 60 mph. The summer tire's 157-foot stop is the shortest, the snow tires come up 2nd at 181 feet and the all-season tires lag further behind in a flurry of ABS activity on the way to a distance of 215 feet, some 58 feet longer than the summer tire.

On the wet skid pad the summer tire smokes them once more, even delivering a little tire squeal as it churns out 0.81g — a figure many car-tire combinations can't match on dry pavement. The winter tire trails with a 0.71g run characterized by noticeable squirm, presumably from the side loads acting on the numerous sipes in its snow-biased tread pattern. That said, it still bests our all-season tire, which once again brings up the rear with a disappointing 0.65g showing.

The excerpts you are posting.. are from tests with tires installed on a car, right?

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    The snow tire does kick butt in snow and ice but:
    Wet Test Results
    As with the snow test, it takes a purpose-built test surface to get meaningful and accurate wet test results. What's needed is a large flat VDA with a special asphalt formulation and a water-delivery system that can maintain a uniform depth of water (the approximate thickness of a quarter), so there's a consistent coefficient of friction across the entire surface.

We find it at Arizona Proving Ground (APG) near Phoenix, formerly a Volvo facility and now branded as Ford. Its pristine micro-pool looks gorgeous on this May afternoon as the surrounding mountain peaks, little fluffy clouds and spring sunlight reflect in the glassy surface.

It turns out we can test everything to and from 60 mph here, so for brevity's sake we'll stick to a discussion of those results. Those who want to can find the 40-mph results on the accompanying charts.

Acceleration testing provides the first surprise, as the all-season tire trails the pack with a 15.4-second 0-60 run. The snow tire's 12.7-second effort for 2nd place is significantly better, but the summer tire tops them all with an 11.9-second performance, over 20 percent quicker than the all-season tire. In fact, the all-season tire began encountering trouble near 40 mph, where it had been only 0.4 second behind the summer tire's performance when hydroplaning and wheelspin paid a visit.

Things are much the same when braking from 60 mph. The summer tire's 157-foot stop is the shortest, the snow tires come up 2nd at 181 feet and the all-season tires lag further behind in a flurry of ABS activity on the way to a distance of 215 feet, some 58 feet longer than the summer tire.

On the wet skid pad the summer tire smokes them once more, even delivering a little tire squeal as it churns out 0.81g � a figure many car-tire combinations can't match on dry pavement. The winter tire trails with a 0.71g run characterized by noticeable squirm, presumably from the side loads acting on the numerous sipes in its snow-biased tread pattern. That said, it still bests our all-season tire, which once again brings up the rear with a disappointing 0.65g showing.
    What BRAND and model tires are they testing ? There are crappy all season, summer and snow tires out there as well. Like every product ... some are superior to similar products within the same category.
    Specifics please

Other wise this information is coming from Russia

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Yes but I think it crosses borders somewhat. I think it would be hard to find a test of CTs on motorcycles. As I said all are plenty good and most likely better than a MT. It is just that this F6B forum is the only place I find that claims a snow tire has better traction over a summer tire even when not in snow. I don't find anything to make me believe that is true. Like the choice to run a CT or not it is also up to the individual as to run a snow tire or not, I chose a summer tire not because of traction but looks alone. It just happens to rated really high in the traction category but as you asked that is on a car.