New 2018 GOLDWING - Page 14
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: New 2018 GOLDWING

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Joe--Thanks for helping to set the record straight. I'm now riding the K1600B so if anyone really wants the "truth", I'm the guy to talk to. This competition between BMW and Honda is a great thing for us. If you look at history, they do tend to "one up" each other from time-to-time. I remember when the K1200LT came out and beat out Honda for the best overall two-up bike. Based on that, I bought an LT. A year or two later, Honda came out with the GL1800 and won the honors back. The new standard Wing looks to be a great bike. I seriously doubt it will match the Beemer in HP but I'm sure it will be plenty fast and smooth and, as JimmyT has pointed out, it will have plenty of features that all the "geeks" will love. I see no reason to get in a bragging match about which of these bikes will be the best. They're both GREAT!
    So did I miss or just forget your right up and in depth perceptions of your new ride?

I bet it's a blast from what I have read. I have not seen one close up in person yet. Like I mentioned, the GTL was on my shopping list before I decided on the F6B I love.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    So did I miss or just forget your right up and in depth perceptions of your new ride?

I bet it's a blast from what I have read. I have not seen one close up in person yet. Like I mentioned, the GTL was on my shopping list before I decided on the F6B I love.
    Jimmy, you must have missed a class...it's write up, not right up. I did the same thing the other day while emailing my niece, I wrote site when I meant sight, so I missed a class as well.

Seriously though, did you have the opportunity to ride both the F6B & GTL? If so, what were the deciding factors for you which lead to the purchase the F6B over the GTL?

@Hornblower
    If you did give your impressions, please post the link, I would like to read it. If not, what was it you preferred about the BMW over the F6B (assuming it was an F6B, and not a GW?).

Quote Originally Posted by doubleh View Post
    Jimmy, you must have missed a class...it's write up, not right up. I did the same thing the other day while emailing my niece, I wrote site when I meant sight, so I missed a class as well.

Seriously though, did you have the opportunity to ride both the F6B & GTL? If so, what were the deciding factors for you which lead to the purchase the F6B over the GTL?

@Hornblower
    If you did give your impressions, please post the link, I would like to read it. If not, what was it you preferred about the BMW over the F6B (assuming it was an F6B, and not a GW?).
    Both bikes are great, but the new BMW1600B is "scary fast"...If speed is your bag, the BMW has it all over the Goldwing/F6B in spades....Otherwise in my opinion, which ever one you choose I see no reason not to be totally satisfied!!!

Quote Originally Posted by doubleh View Post

@Hornblower
    Stupid phone auto correct. Didn't catch it.

Point blank, some of the reasons I chose the F6B.
    I read lot's of issues with electronic glitches in the BMW at the time.
    I was never that warmed over by the looks. I think the nose looks bulbous and protrudes too far forward.
    I have had 2 Valkyries and still have one. I simply love the flat 6 motor.
    I also saw more room for stereo upgrades. I've done a bit of mods there

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Both bikes are great, but the new BMW1600B is "scary fast"...If speed is your bag, the BMW has it all over the Goldwing/F6B in spades....Otherwise in my opinion, which ever one you choose I see no reason not to be totally satisfied!!!
    "Scary fast isn't my thing, but I don't mind it either. I feel that my F6B is more fast enough for me, especially after riding H-D's for 20yrs. If I'm cruising on the highway in the right lane and a car is coming from the on ramp and we're neck in neck , I simply twist the throttle slightly and before I know it, that car is 100yds behind me. I had also seen a video of a rider on the 1600B pick the front of the bike up in 3rd gear with ease, so I'm sure it's scary fast! I would consider this a pro, though, not a con. I'd have to agree with your statement "which ever one you choose I see no reason not to be satisfied!!!"

Stupid phone auto correct. Didn't catch it.

Point blank, some of the reasons I chose the F6B.
    I read lot's of issues with electronic glitches in the BMW at the time.
    I was never that warmed over by the looks. I think the nose looks bulbous and protrudes too far forward.
    I have had 2 Valkyries and still have one. I simply love the flat 6 motor.
    I also saw more room for stereo upgrades. I've done a bit of mods there
    As far as aesthetics, I think both bikes look great, but I prefer the front of the Honda over the BMW, and the rear of the BMW over the Honda.

I can only speak for the flat six being I haven't rode the 1600B...and I'm speechless when it comes to how smooth it is, and I'd bet the 1600B is just as smooth. As far as the stereo is concerned, I turned mine on once in my driveway just to hear it work, and I never turned it on again. A stereo on a motorcycle just isn't for me, but I know a lot of people enjoy listening to music while riding. HiFi Audio is my other hobby, which I save for when I get home.

It'll be a along 4 month wait before I'm able to find out which I prefer...this is also includes my F6B, which I might just find suits me best.

I seem to recall in one of the many videos one of the reps saying 'hi-test' fuel -- has anyone read anywhere if the days of running regular fuel are over for those who jump onto the 2018 models?

Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    I seem to recall in one of the many videos one of the reps saying 'hi-test' fuel -- has anyone read anywhere if the days of running regular fuel are over for those who jump onto the 2018 models?
    I don't know, but I was pretty sure I saw somewhere it listed 87 as the octane requirement

Well, Jimmy, it's like this...I didn't think it would be good "form" to start posting about my new KB on the F6B forum. I will say this though...one of the main reasons I went to the Beemer was to hopefully get more cornering clearance. And, I chose the new KB over the GT or GTL due to seat height. If I was taller with longer legs I would have gone another route. Cornering clearance with the KB is significantly better BUT I have already managed to find it's limit as well. This is what happens when you ride with Big Dawg and friends. They're all riding S1000XR's now so the "keeping up" game has escalated considerably. If I was buying today, and seeing what Honda has now introduced, I would have to ride both the KB and the new GW and compare them very carefully. I see that the new GW is more narrow so that may mean the cornering clearance has been improved. Frankly, you probably can't go wrong either way. It sure is great to have choices like this (as long as you can afford it ). --Ken
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Well, Jimmy, it's like this...I didn't think it would be good "form" to start posting about my new KB on the F6B forum. I will say this though...one of the main reasons I went to the Beemer was to hopefully get more cornering clearance. And, I chose the new KB over the GT or GTL due to seat height. If I was taller with longer legs I would have gone another route. Cornering clearance with the KB is significantly better BUT I have already managed to find it's limit as well. This is what happens when you ride with Big Dawg and friends. They're all riding S1000XR's now so the "keeping up" game has escalated considerably. If I was buying today, and seeing what Honda has now introduced, I would have to ride both the KB and the new GW and compare them very carefully. I see that the new GW is more narrow so that may mean the cornering clearance has been improved. Frankly, you probably can't go wrong either way. It sure is great to have choices like this (as long as you can afford it ). --Ken
    I wonder how the new Wings compare with cornering clearance. Just from pictures, it looks like they may have more clearance. For me , I think one of the great limiting factors on cornering clearance has been the compression of the suspension coming into corners hard. What ground clearance you do have is quickly lessened by this compression. With the new front end and a whole lot less dive , I'd hope that alone will make a huge difference.

I upgraded my suspension including the Air ride in the rear. I now just add more air pressure when riding hard. It has made a difference, but I still find the limits pretty easily.

I wonder how the new Wings compare with cornering clearance. Just from pictures, it looks like they may have more clearance. For me , I think one of the great limiting factors on cornering clearance has been the compression of the suspension coming into corners hard. What ground clearance you do have is quickly lessened by this compression. With the new front end and a whole lot less dive , I'd hope that alone will make a huge difference.

I upgraded my suspension including the Air ride in the rear. I now just add more air pressure when riding hard. It has made a difference, but I still find the limits pretty easily.
    All good points and we'll find out soon enough. Most of the faster GW riders I've met have done something to raise the rear. You chose the Air Ride and I've seen others simply add a link to raise the ride height 1/2" or so. When you're trying to keep the seat height at a minimum for shorter legs it becomes a balancing act between height and cornering clearance. Trade offs, that's what life is all about.
    Ken (Hornblower)