2018 Oct. 27 GoldWing Presentation at Honda - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Oct. 27 GoldWing Presentation at Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post
    This one I did not understand one bit:

• The amount of handlebar turn (arc deflection) is less than on the current GW, to achieve the tightest turn radius, which remains nonetheless identical. My comprehension of basic geometry failed me on this one, but the Honda tech was very enthusiastic about it, so it must be something good – especially if you have short arms ...
    My guess is that the handlebar-2-front-wheel-turning-ratio is no longer 1:1. A smaller movement in the handlebars probably now equates to a larger movement in the front wheel requiring less steering input to go from all the way left to all the way right.

I really wish they would have addressed the ergonomic handlebar position issues with some sort of adjustability. Some people have wider shoulders than others.

Also, more exposed engine parts, means more cleaning time.

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post
    Today was the first official presentation of the 2018 Honda GoldWing and GoldWing Tour at Honda HQ in Torrance, California. I attempted to take some relevant photos and get some answers from the very knowledgeable Honda technical staff on hand.

First and most importantly, we had some GoldWing cookies to eat – Honda makes a tasty cookie! About 4 inches in diameter, with a nice, high-definition gradient on the printed sugar logo:

Here are some photos of the bikes:

First, the GW Tour after unveiling:

Next, the entry-level GW. All blacked-out, my favorite.

The bags are a bit smaller than on the F6B – a styling concession.

The odd little caliper on the rear disc is for the parking brake – it's an automatic, so it needs one.

Some really bright LEDs up front ...

And also in the rear.

Linked brakes with linked ABS on every model. Somebody listened!

I liked the looks of the bagger. I also like the looks of the F6B. They're both more attractive than the BMW K1600B, in my mind.

A fat rear tire. 200mm I believe. Looks just right.

The GoldWing gets the black exhaust. The Tour gets the chrome.

I hope later production models are put together with a little more care...Noticed on the trunk of the Tour model the Honda badge is off-center to left and the right saddle bag has a larger gap when closed than the left one....Just "nitpicking"....Great photos

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I hope later production models are put together with a little more care...Noticed on the trunk of the Tour model the Honda badge is off-center to left and the right saddle bag has a larger gap when closed than the left one....Just "nitpicking"....Great photos
    It would be great if they came debadged as an option so you don't have to risk the paint job removing the branding logos all around.

Circle-5
    According to the Honda motorcycle techs, these two GoldWings are not even complete – they were just recently cobbled together for presentations. That's all they've got. The engines will start (to demo the new, rumbly exhaust note), but won't get you anywhere. They won't let you sit on them. If you want to test ride a pre-production model today, you have to go to Japan. I assume these two incomplete props were assembled by hand in California, without the help of jigs, special tooling and so forth. The ones on display at the Long Beach Motorcycle Show next month should be closer to the real thing. But I will look for the off-center trunk badge to see if they're the same ones!

Great pics. Thanks for posting those. I don't care what the crybaby naysayers say that is one beautiful motorcycle.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Victory Visions were like that. Some body panels did not line up/space correctly. Pointed it out to one the the local Vision dealers here.. they were like "meh..."

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

By looking at the photos, it may be challenging to find "places to attach tie downs" if you plan to haul the bike on a trailer. Gone are the front engine guards and rear ones, being replaced with "solid" pieces, unable to put straps around or thru. Also, with the new type front suspension, I used to strap under the triple- tree, not sure what to hook onto, now. And we all know better than to strap the bike by the handle bars. JMO, without actually seeing the bike in person.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    By looking at the photos, it may be challenging to find "places to attach tie downs" if you plan to haul the bike on a trailer. Gone are the front engine guards and rear ones, being replaced with "solid" pieces, unable to put straps around or thru. Also, with the new type front suspension, I used to strap under the triple- tree, not sure what to hook onto, now. And we all know better than to strap the bike by the handle bars. JMO, without actually seeing the bike in person.
    It ain't no Harley... doesn't need to be trailered nor strapped down

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

The engine guards are there, they are just covered with a plastic cover. I wouldn't use the engine guard anyways for strapping the bike down. You're right about the tree though. That is where I would strap the front down traditionally.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Circle-5
    Quote Originally Posted by DaWadd View Post
    Great pics. Thanks for posting those. I don't care what the crybaby naysayers say that is one beautiful motorcycle.
    You're welcome and I agree with you. I walked in there with the intention of not liking the aesthetics of the 2018, based on the photos I'd seen. I had a solid list of misgivings and many good reasons to reject the new angular design, including my appreciation for the rounded, organic shapes of the current model. I knew that seeing the 2018s would just reinforce all my preconceptions. But it took about 30 seconds to change all that. Photos don't do it justice. It's hard to explain, but every line and every detail just flows together as you walk around the bike. There is no bad angle, just a tight, well-designed package that owes as much to CAD/CAM as it does to its designers.

There are some technical choices that could be questioned, like the smaller fuel tank, the absence of hydraulic valve adjustments (even Harley has them) and the aluminum sleeves, which may or may not be as durable. Time will tell. But the looks of the bike are impeccable, especially if you like the "form follows function" philosophy.

That's just my opinion, of course. For the record, I don't work for Honda, or for a Honda dealer. I just spend some of my money on their toys.