2018 Oct. 27 GoldWing Presentation at Honda - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Oct. 27 GoldWing Presentation at Honda

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    With the new closer fitting rear Tupperware, it maybe hard for aftermarket suppliers to make a hidden hitch (if the frame can support one).
    It would be very hard to imagine Honda engineering the bike where it made it impossible to put a hitch on. I'm sure vendors will figure it out. But it does look like it would be difficult to make it stealth like it can be on our older models.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    ...Circle-5

Looks like the moved the coolant reserve bottle away from that vulnerable spot under the bike. And seems that you can adjust the linkage for the rear shock. Don't know off hand if that's available for our current F6B's

Yeah, I noticed that and I noticed the linkage, but the coolant bottle is on the other side on the current bike, just may not be able to see it in this pic.
    I don't see a crossover tube on the exhaust either. Could be hidden I suppose, but if not , it could help open the door for easier full exhaust upgrades.

UH, I take that back, I think I now see the crossover tube. Right behind the shock linkage, It just isn't black , so it threw me off.

Matte Paint?

Is that matte paint on the 'bagger' model?

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    ...Circle-5
    Looks like the moved the coolant reserve bottle away from that vulnerable spot under the bike. And seems that you can adjust the linkage for the rear shock. Don't know off hand if that's available for our current F6B's

I'm thinking that second hole is for the center stand. Again the standard doesn't get all the goodies.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Still can't believe they didn't put lights in the trunk! Every little bit helps to prevent being rear ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
    Still can't believe they didn't put lights in the trunk! Every little bit helps to prevent being rear ended.

I'm betting this will be one of the first aftermarket accessories to appear.
    2016 GL1800 F6B-D
    IBA Member since Y2K
    Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Wonder if there will be Switchback turn signal options.

Also see people buying the bagger version and putting aftermarket trunks on it.

Thanks for the pictures.
    That is what I plan to do... Get the luggage rack for the bagger. I have a great SHAD SH50 top case that holds my XXL Schuberth C3Pro helmet, gloves, and riding suit. Don't need bigger, it has a backrest built-in for the wife, and has proven to be extremely durable and reliable. Keep one saddlebag for rain gear, tools, and first aid kit, the other for storage for my riding boots/shoes (I change out when I get to where I want to be) and foodstuffs/bottles of water.

Yeah, doesn't look as clean and integrated, but it works and it's basically a $150 option (the cost of the luggage rack).

Circle-5

I had questions, Honda had answers

The Honda techs answered all of my questions, except one:

• The retractable thingy on top of the instrument panel is an air deflector. It replaces the windscreen louvered air vent. More effective and disappears when not needed.
    • The side crash-bars are still frame-mounted welded tubing like on the existing F6B. However, they now have these black stealth covers, so they look more discreet.
    • The bags open with the little square push-buttons (probably electrical switches) visible on top rear of the bags. The bags also open with the key-fob remote controller.
    • The extra holes beneath the rear shock linkage are to accommodate the optional center stand (which is always included in the GoldWing Tour).
    • ABS comes with all trim levels, from the entry level bagger to the air-bag Tour version. This ABS is apparently both clever and complex. Details went straight over my head.
    • There are no longer any fork seals to worry about – ever – because of the new front-end design.
    • The optional air bag is no longer manufactured by Takata (so you have a better chance of surviving its deployment!).
    • The top cubby cover is now hinged, instead of coming off entirely.
    • There will be an accessory rear LED light bar for the trim beneath the trunk.
    • The rear-view mirror assemblies fold both forward and backward.
    • The electric windscreen retracts back down to its lowest position when the bike is switched off, but it remembers its adjustment and returns to it at next startup.
    • The hand-brake release is the black rectangular handle on the left, at about knee level (see photo below).
    • The plastic engine covers are no more. Access to fluid level dipsticks is now more convenient, on the LH side of the engine.
    • Passenger footpegs have now been replaced with nicely integrated floorboards.
    • The last two gear ratios on both bikes are overdrives. The top gear is set higher than on current models (which would indicate a lower rpm at cruise speed and better fuel economy).

This one I did not understand one bit:

• The amount of handlebar turn (arc deflection) is less than on the current GW, to achieve the tightest turn radius, which remains nonetheless identical. My comprehension of basic geometry failed me on this one, but the Honda tech was very enthusiastic about it, so it must be something good – especially if you have short arms ...

Other questions:

• Because the handlebar is connected to the steering column via adjustable tie rods, I asked if that implied the handlebar angles could be adjusted fore and aft, as with Helibars. The answer is no.
    • I asked if the air filter replacement was still as exquisitely inconvenient as on the existing model. Ummm, huh, well, not sure, possibly, etc. was the answer. Which means it's probably about the same (I can't imagine it could be worse!) So with positive thinking, changing the air filter remains a good opportunity to discover and clean parts of your bike that you would otherwise never see.

I probably forgot a few things, but will post if I remember. What I got out of the presentation is that the 2018 GoldWing was engineered to be the most advanced motorcycle ever built to this day, with particular emphasis on its very sophisticated DCT transmission, front-end suspension and electronic ride and engine controls. Feedback from the existing GoldWing customer base was front-and-center when designing the new bike. Several video crews were present, so expect to see the speech on Honda's website in short order.

End of report.

Below: Large, automobile-size handbrake release (on DCT models only)

More engine to look at, less Tupperware.

Really appreciate all of the first hand info Circle-5. Very informative.

Maybe they redesigned that rear brake light switch too. I don’t see it in the lower photo. What a P.I.T.A. that switch was, when the local dealer effed up my rear brake recall. effing morons... I’ll never never forget that debacle.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537